autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Nubie's 1st attempt on 2009 blk porsche 911 turbo cab

Hi I am the newbie who suffered from fear of the Flex. I want to offer my thanks to all of those who helped me with their sound advice and words of encouragement and not to mention a few choice words from my personal detail fairy (inside joke). I would like to structure this post as a work in progress as this is all new to me. So at this point I will start out showing the swirls that I have on the car which appeared after the dealer's showroom glaze was washed away. I only polished the hood, so far, with Wolfgang total swirl remover. I am waiting for delivery of the Edge adapter and 4" pads for my Flex 3401. While I am waiting for my delivery please provide me with any feedback that you may have as I would like to correct anything that I may be doing incorrectly before I continue on the rest of the car.
    I used a Lake country white smart pad with the total swirl remover

This photo show the level of severity of the swirls on the car. Fortunately this seems to be as bad as they get.

Swirls under the halogen lights

IMG]http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss337/unclestu2u/DSC_0124.jpg[/IMG]

Swirls corrected with toal swirl remover

IMG]http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss337/unclestu2u/DSC_0125.jpg[/IMG]

Reflection on the hood after total swirl remover

unclestu2u

THE AFTER PICTURES

Before i go on to the pictures I want to express my sincere thanks to some very special people on the forum.

To Mark and Jacob from Autolavish for their wonderful write-ups and advice on taping and technique.
    To Loudog and Rsurfer for all of your product advice

and lastly to the man who embarrassed me into finally getting up on the bike and who than stayed at my side so I didn't fall flat on my face I want to thank my guardian angel of detailing Dana aka Asphalt Rocket

The car was polished in three steps WTS, WFG, 85RD followed by WPPE. Two coats of WDGPS were applied by hand as was 2 coats of Fuzion. Aside from the doors and hood the rest of the car was polished using the Edge 4" orange, green, and white pads on my Flex 3401.unclestu2uunclestu2u

[

unclestu2uunclestu2u
    Last edited by unclestu; 10-12-2009 at 08:43 PM.
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
    MAY THE SHINE BE WITH YOU

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nubie's 1st attempt on 2009 blk porsche 911 turbo cab

Quote Originally Posted by unclestu View Post

Looks good so far !!

Hi I am the newbie who suffered from fear of the Flex. I want to offer my thanks to all of those who helped me with their sound advice and words of encouragement and not to mention a few choice words from my personal detail fairy (inside joke). I would like to structure this post as a work in progress as this is all new to me. So at this point I will start out showing the swirls that I have on the car which appeared after the dealer's showroom glaze was washed away. I only polished the hood, so far, with Wolfgang total swirl remover. I am waiting for delivery of the Edge adapter and 4" pads for my Flex 3401. While I am waiting for my delivery please provide me with any feedback that you may have as I would like to correct anything that I may be doing incorrectly before I continue on the rest of the car.
    I used a Lake country white smart pad with the total swirl remover

This photo show the level of severity of the swirls on the car. Fortunately this seems to be as bad as they get.

Swirls under the halogen lights

IMG]http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss337/unclestu2u/DSC_0124.jpg[/IMG]

Swirls corrected with toal swirl remover

IMG]http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss337/unclestu2u/DSC_0125.jpg[/IMG]

Reflection on the hood after total swirl remover

Looks pretty good so far !!
    Vision Detailing
    Richmond,KY.40475
    859-623-4435

Post Thanks / Like

Looks awesome!
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are coming along very nicely, you are not going to be able to call yourself a newbie forever!!!

Mike Phillips

First, I think you're doing a great job! Lots of attention to detail and you've taped off the edge and high points.

Second, way to come out of the corner swinging! Starting out your first time with any machine on a daily driver grocery getter is one thing, starting out on your black Porsche is another!

Good job and your plan looks good so far!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    First, I think you're doing a great job! Lots of attention to detail and you've taped off the edge and high points.

Second, way to come out of the corner swinging! Starting out your first time with any machine on a daily driver grocery getter is one thing, starting out on your black Porsche is another!

Good job and your plan looks good so far!

Thanks for all of the kind words of encouragement. As far as attention to detail lets just say that if you knew my wife you would understand.
    What do you think about using Menz 85rd as a next step prior to using the wolfgang finishing glaze. Do you thinkl I would derive any added benefit from using the 85rd?
    From the inexperienced eye of the nubie the hood looks pretty good right now without even using the finishing glaze. Is the total swirl remover ever on it's own without the finishing glaze prior to sealant/wax applications?
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like

im sory you said your a nube...... at what posting because the polishing looks great man, nice work. Oh and the posting is pretty good too.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like your doing a great job and kudos to you for getting the turbo version

2007 Honda Civic SI

Post Thanks / Like

It looks great Stu, now follow up with your 85rd and when the sun shines take out and admire your work. Plus this will give you your true results.

You need to clear your pm's.
    Last edited by ASPHALT ROCKET; 09-25-2009 at 02:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 02nissanISR View Post
    im sory you said your a nube...... at what posting because the polishing looks great man, nice work. Oh and the posting is pretty good too.
    Thanks for the compliments and thank you to all of the AG forum members who have helped make the learning curve as painless as possible for us first timers. I will continue posting to the thread as the job progresses
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast