autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polished my 2006 Civic Si (advice VERY welcome!!!)

Well, i've had all the stuff (7424+XMT polishes) for a year but never got around to polishing my Kaitlyn (yeah, I named her. First new car i've ever owned and I always wanted an Si so she's kind of special to me lol). I was really nervous doing it, and it didn't turn out quite as well as i'd hoped

I'm sure 95% (possibly even 99.9%) of it is experience as this is the first time i've ever polished a car and used a polishing machine. But it just didn't turn out quite as well as i'd hoped. The color wasn't as deep, glossy or brilliant as it was when I got it. For the XMT polishes, I would use about a nickel to a quarter sized amount for a 2'x2' area, but I only polished for about 1-2 minutes as the XMT polishes seemed to dry SO fast and I had tons of dust. I was worried about doing permanent damage.

And I don't like those 6.5" Lake Country CCS pads at all. Very difficult to use on my car due to all the curves. When I bought my 7424 package it came with one 5" white solid foam pad with slightly curved edges. I'm using nothing but those from now on, SO much better. And maybe a 7424XP since every time I'd hit a curve, the 7424 would grind to a halt. With minimal pressure applied.

Thinking in spring, might try the Wolfgang TSR3.0/FG3.0/DGPS3.0 package as I tried the DGPS (old version) a long time ago and loved the look. Anyways, here's what I did (I used a 50/50 alcohol/distilled water spray and wipe-down with Cobra super plush towels after the polishing stages):

1. Wash with Meg's Gold Class (ran out of PB's SS&S unfortunately) with white Shmitt and 2 bucket method and dried with Cobra Guzzler (dabbed not rubbed)
    2. Clayed with Ricardo yellow clay and Ricardo lube (didn't like the Ricardo lube at all. WG lube next time for sure and probably WG clay as well. This stuff seemed really harsh)) then washed again (see step 1)
    3. XMT2 with Orange pad (tried white pad, not enough. Maybe should've tried XMT3+white or orange pad?) on speed 5.5
    4. XMT1 with White pad on speed 5.5
    5. XMT Finishing Glaze with Grey pad on speed 4
    6. Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax with Blue pad on speed 3

Other products used:
    Cobra Deluxe Jr. MF towels (removing polish residue)
    Cobra Super Plush MF towels (for removing/buffing glaze and wax. The blue ones which don't seem to be around anymore)
    DP Interior Cleaner mixed 50/50 (if I had to pick one single detailing product to use and give up everything else, this would be it. I love it to death)
    Optimum Protectant Plus (if they ever come out with a version of this that smells great, i'm buying stock in Optimum because I absolutely ADORE it)
    Stoners Invisible Glass (with Cobra Glass waffle-weave towels)

Here's the pics. You'll have to excuse me if they aren't the best. Bought a Nikon D60 not too long ago, and i'm still learning to use it (and learning to take good pictures in general):

LoL as usual, the deer come by to check out what you're doing. Either that, or they smelled the Pinnacle Souveran Wax (anyone else just take in a huge whiff when you open the can up? Smellls soooooooooooooooooooooooooo good)

Before wash (I did this out at my parent's place in Fairmont Hot Springs, rained ALOT on the way out so the car wasn't as dirty as it was when I left lol):

After wash and claybar:

Taped up ready for polish:

After XMT2+XMT1:

After XMT Finishing Glaze+Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax:

3M clear front protector is a little hazy and swirly. I was thinking of trying some Klasse AIO on it with a white or grey pad by hand. Wanted to ask what you guys thought first. Think it would clean it up? Looks like it does pretty well on plastics but this stuff is a little soft:

You can see here on this one, how poor my swirl fixing was

C&C absolutely welcome. I know i'll get better at it, and i'm really looking forward to next time, but any advice you folks can give would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by SiliconX; 09-24-2009 at 12:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polished my 2006 Civic Si (advice VERY welcome!!!)

Really great job, that color is awesome. Sweet projector headlights, are they Xenons or Halogens?
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emile View Post
    Really great job, that color is awesome. Sweet projector headlights, are they Xenons or Halogens?
    Thanks for the reply!

They're Xenon. TSX projectors retrofitted into stock Civic headlights. Hella ballasts and Phillips 4300K D2S bulbs.

Still trying to piece together parts for a S2000 AP1 retrofit. Stupid expensive though =\

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah my first go round with the PC was not 100% either but 5.5'' pads helped quite a bit.

Nice retros...... rally red is such a nice color. See you on the ocho man!
    Last edited by Ryan; 09-23-2009 at 08:32 PM.

2007 Honda Civic SI

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Yeah my first go round with the PC was not 100% either but 5.5'' pads helped quite a bit.

Nice retros...... rally red is such a nice color. See you on the ocho man!
    Yeah. I wasn't happy with the 6.5" pads with the divots at all. The curve along the body just under the door was brutal to do with those. 7424 would stop spinning almost instantly. With the lone 5" solid pad with the curved edges I had, was much easier.

And I see by your avatar, your engine bay is looking very nice. I'm embarrassed to say, I've yet to clean my engine bay since I got Katie (March 2006) and it's really bad. I was going to do it soon (have some DP's Engine Degreaser for it), but any tips+tricks you could provide? As I understand, cover the intake filter, alternator, battery and ECU?
    Last edited by SiliconX; 09-23-2009 at 08:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that body curve you speak of all too well.... The smaller size pads will work much more efficiently.

What exhaust do you have .... Buddy Club?

2007 Honda Civic SI

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it was really hard to do. Especially under the mirrors. I did that by hand with 4" pads.

Edited my previous reply to you about your engine detailing if you didn't see it.

Post Thanks / Like

Silicon X, I just cover the MAF sensor, alternator, and exposed wiring to the right of the valve cover. I use P21s total auto wash and agitate with a dedicated MF mitt for engine cleaning. I rinse with a hose with the nozzle off i.e( a stream of water with no pressure). Dry, then hit all exposed rubber and plastic hoses with 303

edit: I forgot to mention I wrap grocery plastic bags around the above mentioned items and have been problem free.

2007 Honda Civic SI

Post Thanks / Like

I believe your problem was the pads on this one. If you used 4" pads on the PC, you'd get MUCH better correction and it looks like you needed to use a product with a little more cut to it than what you were using. That being said, your car looks really good anyway, even the before pictures looked washed, so a HUGE change probably wouldn't have been noticeable unless you used the flash again.

Over all, you did a great job cleaning her up. Get some 4" pads and M105 and you'll be correcting like crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Silicon X, I just cover the MAF sensor, alternator, and exposed wiring to the right of the valve cover. I use P21s total auto wash and agitate with a dedicated MF mitt for engine cleaning. I rinse with a hose with the nozzle off i.e( a stream of water with no pressure). Dry, then hit all exposed rubber and plastic hoses with 303

edit: I forgot to mention I wrap grocery plastic bags around the above mentioned items and have been problem free.
    Thanks very much for the advice. I'll try that.

I've heard great things about the 303 but haven't bought any yet. Looks like another product to tack to the list on my next order

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast