autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 75 of 142 FirstFirst ... 25656667686970717273747576777879808182838485125 ... LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

Hello, I'm new to this and am going to surprise my family members by resurfacing all of their headlights...most of them are really oxidized. I have a few questions I'm hoping someone could answer first before I try this though.

1. What is better to use to clean and prep the plastic before applying the spar/ms, denatured alcohol or isopropyl alcohol? I'm sure both are fine, but is one a little better than the other as a cleaner, or better on plastic?

2. Would the spar/ms adhere better to the lens if I only sanded and skipped the polishing? I am just wondering if I make the lens so smooth, the coat might not bond as well, or last as long. I was going to use a 3000 grit, but now I think I might just only go as high as 2000 grit and completely skip the polishing. But I also don't want to jeopardize the appearance and the polished would look better I'm assuming, even though the spar would fill in the scratches of a non-polished. When the spar/ms fails in a couple years, the lens will be much more dramatically bad looking on the unpolished lens than the polished lens...but maybe the unpolished lens coat lasts longer so not sure which way to go. Just curious on people's thoughts.

3. Could I put 2 coats of the spar/ms on the lens if I wait for the first coat to dry first? And if so, would waiting 20 minutes be enough time? Or maybe touch part of the lens to see if it's dry first?

4. I see people say sand right and left horizontally and that that is better than sanding in a circular motion, but how do you explain a rotary sanding being good too then? They're opposite.

5. Does anyone have a trick they use if they don't have shade and can't reposition the car so that the lights aren't in the sun? What is a good idea to use as a temporary sun shield I could put up in front of the lights until after the spar/ms has been applied?

Sorry for all of the questions but these were things that went through my mind while reading all the posts. Thank you for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by taymon View Post
    Hello, I'm new to this and am going to surprise my family members by resurfacing all of their headlights...most of them are really oxidized. I have a few questions I'm hoping someone could answer first before I try this though.

1. What is better to use to clean and prep the plastic before applying the spar/ms, denatured alcohol or isopropyl alcohol? I'm sure both are fine, but is one a little better than the other as a cleaner, or better on plastic?

2. Would the spar/ms adhere better to the lens if I only sanded and skipped the polishing? I am just wondering if I make the lens so smooth, the coat might not bond as well, or last as long. I was going to use a 3000 grit, but now I think I might just only go as high as 2000 grit and completely skip the polishing. But I also don't want to jeopardize the appearance and the polished would look better I'm assuming, even though the spar would fill in the scratches of a non-polished. When the spar/ms fails in a couple years, the lens will be much more dramatically bad looking on the unpolished lens than the polished lens...but maybe the unpolished lens coat lasts longer so not sure which way to go. Just curious on people's thoughts.

3. Could I put 2 coats of the spar/ms on the lens if I wait for the first coat to dry first? And if so, would waiting 20 minutes be enough time? Or maybe touch part of the lens to see if it's dry first?

4. I see people say sand right and left horizontally and that that is better than sanding in a circular motion, but how do you explain a rotary sanding being good too then? They're opposite.

5. Does anyone have a trick they use if they don't have shade and can't reposition the car so that the lights aren't in the sun? What is a good idea to use as a temporary sun shield I could put up in front of the lights until after the spar/ms has been applied?

Sorry for all of the questions but these were things that went through my mind while reading all the posts. Thank you for any help.
    Check this out hope it helps http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...st-week-2.html

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased an additional spar and minerals today at my local home depot. I redone my procedure on a new headlight , but I noticed that after I finished my wet sanding, I cleaned the headlight with some mineral spirits and as I looked at it, I noticed tiny small bubbles all over the headlights. So this gave me the idea that the bubbles might not have been from the mixture, but probably from tiny rock chips the lens instilled beforehand. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but have anyone ever dealt with a pair of headlights that had small rock chips and when you apply the sealant over it that the tiny chips seems to still be there and not filled in with the spar/mineral mixture.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Blu View Post
    Thank you so much, Louie...that is so cool that you laid out your whole process and I learned some additional things from reading it...and more ideas...thanks! It didn't really answer any of my questions but definitely gave me more info than I had before.

I don't have the orbital and was going to use a drill. I would have to use a drill anyway because I was going to do the headlights without them knowing and won't have access to an outlet. How are you able to always have outlets or electricity to work on cars...do you do all your work at dealers lots or at your garage?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jyu1210 View Post
    I just purchased an additional spar and minerals today at my local home depot. I redone my procedure on a new headlight , but I noticed that after I finished my wet sanding, I cleaned the headlight with some mineral spirits and as I looked at it, I noticed tiny small bubbles all over the headlights. So this gave me the idea that the bubbles might not have been from the mixture, but probably from tiny rock chips the lens instilled beforehand. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but have anyone ever dealt with a pair of headlights that had small rock chips and when you apply the sealant over it that the tiny chips seems to still be there and not filled in with the spar/mineral mixture.

I'm wondering if you are actually seeing cracks in the lens itself. Some lenses have small cracks that can never be removed. I've run across this before. If thats the case, there's nothing you can do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by taymon View Post
    Thank you so much, Louie...that is so cool that you laid out your whole process and I learned some additional things from reading it...and more ideas...thanks! It didn't really answer any of my questions but definitely gave me more info than I had before.

I don't have the orbital and was going to use a drill. I would have to use a drill anyway because I was going to do the headlights without them knowing and won't have access to an outlet. How are you able to always have outlets or electricity to work on cars...do you do all your work at dealers lots or at your garage?
    I am on the go constantly but for the headlights I use a 750 watt Chicago Electric Power Inverter never has failed me and if you are doing a lot of work make sure you start your vehicle often

[

Post Thanks / Like

Never had this problem are you getting this with every headlight you do ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Blu View Post
    Never had this problem are you getting this with every headlight you do ?
    So far yes, I've done 3 seperate sets of headlights and all of them had tiny little bubbles.

Post Thanks / Like

So far yes, I've done 3 seperate sets of headlights and all of them had tiny little bubbles.
    wow that doesn't sound right I am thinking you might be doing something that may cause them to happen something in your process, Maybe ?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe jyu is sanding too much plastic off. Are you wiping the lenses with mineral spirits before you start sanding? Maybe at that point you would see the defects that are turning into "bubbles" after you sand.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Page 75 of 142 FirstFirst ... 25656667686970717273747576777879808182838485125 ... LastLast