autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 14 of 142 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464114 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

Yeah, I saw on Minwax's site (and the can) of the dry time.

Well, my neighbor's g/f let me do her Jeep's headlights for free since I'm just starting out and still experimenting. I tried some 600 wet/dry and it wasn't even scratching the surface (no pun intended). Knowing my arm would fall off before any progress was made, I ran to Home Depot for some coarser grit (150/220/300). I wasn't able to get all of the crazing out but the major damage was eliminated. I followed up with the 600/1500/2400/PB SSR 3/Diamondite Plastic Enhancer/Spar Urethane Mix. Once again, I had to remove the first application of the Urethane with mineral spirits and re-apply. On the driver's headlight, I was rushed so I have some sanding marks from the first few grades of sandpaper. Overall, I'm happy with the passenger light. I'm sure the neighbor and his g/f are happy compared to what they looked like before and it was free after all. From start the finish, it took about 3 1/2 hours. 30 mins was to Home Depot and about another 30 mins spinning my wheels with the initial 600 grit. Anyways I'll let the pics speak for themselves....

In this pic, you can still see some of the sanding marks but I was pressed for time so some more patience would've made a huge difference....

Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g35_coupe View Post
    Yeah, I saw on Minwax's site (and the can) of the dry time.

Well, my neighbor's g/f let me do her Jeep's headlights for free since I'm just starting out and still experimenting. I tried some 600 wet/dry and it wasn't even scratching the surface (no pun intended). Knowing my arm would fall off before any progress was made, I ran to Home Depot for some coarser grit (150/220/300). I wasn't able to get all of the crazing out but the major damage was eliminated. I followed up with the 600/1500/2400/PB SSR 3/Diamondite Plastic Enhancer/Spar Urethane Mix. Once again, I had to remove the first application of the Urethane with mineral spirits and re-apply. On the driver's headlight, I was rushed so I have some sanding marks from the first few grades of sandpaper. Overall, I'm happy with the passenger light. I'm sure the neighbor and his g/f are happy compared to what they looked like before and it was free after all. From start the finish, it took about 3 1/2 hours. 30 mins was to Home Depot and about another 30 mins spinning my wheels with the initial 600 grit. Anyways I'll let the pics speak for themselves....

In this pic, you can still see some of the sanding marks but I was pressed for time so some more patience would've made a huge difference....

I think you did a great job...and for free too...yeah they cant complain. At least it helped you refine your process, bet you save a good 60-90 minutes on the next one for sure. Looks good man, cant even really see the sand marks unless you REALLLLY look close...thanks for the pics!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if this was addressed somewhere else but I've been wondering what makes headlight yellow and get hazy? I've been noticing a lot of cars with the headlights hazed but marker lights right next to them nice and clear. Why do headlights do it but most other lights not?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S2K View Post
    Sorry if this was addressed somewhere else but I've been wondering what makes headlight yellow and get hazy? I've been noticing a lot of cars with the headlights hazed but marker lights right next to them nice and clear. Why do headlights do it but most other lights not?
    Headlights seem to have more exposure to not only the sun (most are angled and not perpendicular), they get hotter (from the sun and light bulb heat output), get pelted with road debris. It starts eating away at the shiny layer. I'm sure if the sidemarker lights or tail lights were placed forward-facing, they'd be just as damaged.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey G35, i was just wondering, do you WET sand using all those stages of sandpaper...or dry...or somewhere in between?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wills.WindowsAndWheels View Post
    Hey G35, i was just wondering, do you WET sand using all those stages of sandpaper...or dry...or somewhere in between?

Thanks for the input guys. I did a mix of dry/wet on the passenger side with the initial 3 grades. From 600 and up, it was all wet sanding. Since the urethane was setting up and I hadn't even touched the driver's side, I strictly wet sanded the second light to avoid stirring up a lot of dust. Trust me, dry sanding with 150 creates plenty of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah i bet its pretty messy...thanks for the info thou

Post Thanks / Like

how durable is this coating?- if you rub on it with your finger or score it with your finger nail, does it scratch?

i know this material can expand and contract with wood, so I'm wondering if it's too soft when cured.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pman626 View Post
    how durable is this coating?- if you rub on it with your finger or score it with your finger nail, does it scratch?

i know this material can expand and contract with wood, so I'm wondering if it's soft when cured.
    Others with more experience can chime in but my g35 headlight seems pretty durable if you try to scratch it your fingernail. It doesn't catch, it just slides across the lens. When I decided to re-apply it after it dried (from my very first attempt), I had to wet-sand with 600 grit to take it off.

On the can it says you can apply a second coat after 4 hours. Has anyone tried a second coat? I may have to get a trashed lens and put it through a little test trial.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g35_coupe View Post

On the can it says you can apply a second coat after 4 hours. Has anyone tried a second coat? I may have to get a trashed lens and put it through a little test trial.

the OP only used one coat on his beater and it lasted this long.

for a 2nd coat, I would be worried about making it too thick that it would be prone to chipping. maybe..

man, this thread has got me excited. One pint of this urethane is only $7, and it sounds like it works as well as the GlassyLite lens product, which costs $30, and only gives you like 2 tablespoons of clear coat.
    This sounds like the poorboy's Glassylite method

Page 14 of 142 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464114 ... LastLast