autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 139 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3989129130131132133134135136137138139140141142 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 1420
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

Any long term reviews of spar urethane method and opti-lens or gloss-coat treatment?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steadfast detailing View Post
    Any long term reviews of spar urethane method and opti-lens or gloss-coat treatment?
    There are plenty of follow up posts in this thread. It took me a week to read it all, but trust me, do it! You will get literally an answer to virtually any question you can come up with.

In short, early on you will see most people had great results with the Spar technique for 3,6,9, 12 months and longer. As of late, though, people have been saying it fails sooner. Not sure why this is. Now, people are seeming to gravitate to Glassweld coating and saying it has a similar life.

After reading almost all 139 pages (aside from the drama half way through lol) I'd say that whatever you choose will be dependent on you. If you are a side-business then im sure the Spar varnish model will work well. If you are operating more as a legitimate branded business servicing clients that expect a branded product, you might want to consider some other products.

I am having one of my friends with a connection at a junkyard get me 2 sets of beaten headlights. I am going to use the Spar varnish technique because after your original coating fails, NOTHING will restore it to brand-new quality so a consumer must make the choice between something "official" or something developed more on the DIY side.

Thanks to all who contributed over the past 6 years. This was exhausting.

Post Thanks / Like

Headlight restoration is what brought me here a year and a half ago and ended up reading the whole thing. Now I detail part time.

About that long ago I coated my headlights with Opti-Lens. The passengers side light that was a replacement and is doing great. It was in really bad condition and I did a lot of heavy sanding to it before coating it. The drivers side was an original, and I only compounded and polished it before coating. Maybe a light sanding to remove bumps from rock impacts.

Both were looking great until I filled some chips on the hood above the drivers side light. I didn't think about compounding next to the light and I removed the Opti-Lens across the top of it.

I have a large truck that I did about a year ago with Opti-Lens after heavy sanding and they look great. Truck is always parked facing north though.

I've used up first 10cc of Opti-Lens, and have another unused one now. I think I did 8 sets with it, including a set of fogs and a spot on my car. I over applied it a couple of times too, so I'd think 10 sets is possible.

Opti-Lens also stored well. It took me almost a year and half to use it up, and it seemed to work about the same on the last application as it did the first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    Headlight restoration is what brought me here a year and a half ago and ended up reading the whole thing. Now I detail part time.

About that long ago I coated my headlights with Opti-Lens. The passengers side light that was a replacement and is doing great. It was in really bad condition and I did a lot of heavy sanding to it before coating it. The drivers side was an original, and I only compounded and polished it before coating. Maybe a light sanding to remove bumps from rock impacts.

Both were looking great until I filled some chips on the hood above the drivers side light. I didn't think about compounding next to the light and I removed the Opti-Lens across the top of it.

I have a large truck that I did about a year ago with Opti-Lens after heavy sanding and they look great. Truck is always parked facing north though.

I've used up first 10cc of Opti-Lens, and have another unused one now. I think I did 8 sets with it, including a set of fogs and a spot on my car. I over applied it a couple of times too, so I'd think 10 sets is possible.

Opti-Lens also stored well. It took me almost a year and half to use it up, and it seemed to work about the same on the last application as it did the first.
    Great response. I think some of us who are newer to this technique need to hear opinions like this more and more. That said, experience is gonna be the ultimate test.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2pennies View Post
    Great response. I think some of us who are newer to this technique need to hear opinions like this more and more. That said, experience is gonna be the ultimate test.
    Thank you 2pennies and Mantilgh. I do this part-time atm but would like to offer a legitimate product so it seems Opti-Lens is the way to go. Thank you both for your comprehensive replies.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steadfast detailing View Post
    Thank you 2pennies and Mantilgh. I do this part-time atm but would like to offer a legitimate product so it seems Opti-Lens is the way to go. Thank you both for your comprehensive replies.

I've been using opti-lens since 2012 and have done numerous vehicles. I've discovered that opti-lens only lasts up to 2 years here in Malta where the average UV is 8. Plus we have 300+ days of sunshine per year. I'm not overly happy with opti-lens, due to the lack of longevity, however it is the best product I've discovered so far. I am currently investigating mixing my own concoction using nano non-organic UV blockers with resin as a carrier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ratsrs View Post
    I've been using opti-lens since 2012 and have done numerous vehicles. I've discovered that opti-lens only lasts up to 2 years here in Malta where the average UV is 8. Plus we have 300+ days of sunshine per year. I'm not overly happy with opti-lens, due to the lack of longevity, however it is the best product I've discovered so far. I am currently investigating mixing my own concoction using nano non-organic UV blockers with resin as a carrier.
    Have you tried gclear? Its been holding up very well for my customers the past 2 years

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeff79 View Post
    Have you tried gclear? Its been holding up very well for my customers the past 2 years
    No... I haven't tried gclear as yet. What is your UV environment? I'm grateful for your feedback. Mixing my own concoction from raw ingredients is fraught with trial and errors, not to mention that it is a damn expensive exercise.. I'm not looking forward to reinventing the wheel. All I'm seeking is a product that can hold up against the harsh environment.

On a different aspect, I've tried numerous cutting compounds. The best I've come across and highly recommend is 'Meguiar's 101' foam-cut compound. I read last year that it is only available in Europe and not USA. Things may have changed since then. The finish is excellent without leaving fine compound scratches. If you're not already aware of this product I strongly suggest you research it.

Wishing everyone success in their endevours.....

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered this stuff...cheap enough to try and will probably need to reapply every few months.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ratsrs View Post
    Thank you for the info on Opti-Lens. That is pretty good for how easy it it to use.

Page 139 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3989129130131132133134135136137138139140141142 LastLast