autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

I don't do it as a business, I have been using Opti-Lens and I find it lasts less than 2 years, even with two coats. People tell me I should be using 3 coats...maybe that will last 2 years.

I would think if you were going to warranty you'd want to put something akin to the factory coating on there, which seems to last about 5 years, those are UV-cured coatings. I think if you google "uv cured headlight coatings" you'll find some info, and there was likely some in this thread somewhere.

I'm kind of disappointed with Opti-Lens, I thought it would last a few years, but you can start to see it degrading at about the 1.5 year point. I'm guessing if you applied it on a new car it might extend the life of the factory coating indefinitely, but once you've sanded the original coating off, it doesn't really seem up to the task.

I'm going to be doing my friend's car again before winter, I'll do 3 coats this time.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was leaning towards OL at one point while reading but then I saw people reporting same as you (failure sooner than I'd like).

The predicament that I find myself being like many others, is doing this on the go. If I had a shop or indoor garage to use regularly I would consider something more like what they put on from the factory.

I guess I will still read those other threads and then back to good ol' Google.

Regardless I have gained many ideas and valuable information from this forum.

Thanks Auto Geeks

Post Thanks / Like

When I was reading about the UV cure systems, I think it's only like 10 minutes/lens, so you just need power (wall, or generator) for the lamp, which presumably you already need for your sander/polisher/compressor/something. I guess the other thing is the overspray issues.

Maybe Dr. G will improve the Opti-Lens...sure would be nice.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be to worried about power.

Currently I have used a drill, and also done some work by hand. Although using a inverter on the go could be a solution for the UV light. I also have a few hundred feet of outdoor extension cords.

My biggest concern is over spray, if I am able to pick up some of the small dealers in my area. Even if I took so many precautions to cover the specific vehicle, with unknown wind conditions it would be a nightmare if the overspray went on any of their other cars nearby.

If there was a true clear coat that could be wiped on that would be perfect.

I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by headlightnewbie View Post
    If there was a true clear coat that could be wiped on that would be perfect. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.
    I think the problem is that the wipe-on products like Opti-Lens don't have enough film build--they would likely be as effective as the factory coating if they weren't 10 times as thin (even after 2 or 3 coats). I'm sure the Spar urethane is as thick as the factory coating, but apparently it doesn't do as good a job.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think for people that are in lower UV areas the Spar is the way to go because of how cheap it is.

I just don't see why someone hasn't developed the product we are all looking for. Even if it was more expensive held up for 3-5 years regardless of UV exposure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by headlightnewbie View Post
    I just don't see why someone hasn't developed the product we are all looking for. Even if it was more expensive held up for 3-5 years regardless of UV exposure.
    Think about this for a minute--most critical painting applications are done by spray, partly for speed but also for appearance. Yeah, I know there are guys who brush rustoleum onto their cars, but even if cost is no object (meaning you could take the time to brush your showcar), people get their cars sprayed.

If there was a good way to apply a headlight coating by brush or wipe-on at the thickness we are looking for, someone would have done it already, for the reasons you're looking for (no overspray, no masking, etc.).

UPDATE: I thought I should check before I misspoke; GlasWeld seems to make a wipe-on system, they sell a whole kit with a 3" DA and the UV light, materials, etc. for $795. Shoot, I might even consider some of that system if I hadn't just bought another syringe of Opti-Lens on closeout.

EDIT: Ha, I see you already mentioned the GlasWeld in your first post--sheesh...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When I first read about GlasWeld, I thought this was it. But then I saw some examples of one guy who had I think it was 4 out of 50 come back with streaks between 4-6 months.

Then I was very disappointmented.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe that was user error--I was just looking and I can get enough product to do 16 sets of lights, plus the curing lamp for $262 shipped. I have all the other stuff.

Like I said, if I hadn't just bought another syringe of Opti-Lens I might go for that.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you know how much of that cost is for the UV light?

I'm asking to try to find out how much it would cost per car once I have the light.
    (if that kit can average 16 cars)

Page 133 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3383123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142 LastLast