autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

Sometimes you can't. If that's the case, try to do it on a cool day so solvent evaporation is slower (out of the sun, of course, and perhaps early in the day), get the paper towel very wet, saturated; and go back and forth, top to bottom, overlapping your strokes. You are trying to always maintain the junction between the new stroke and the prior one WET until you get to the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

Huge thread, read posts here and there so I might have missed if someone talked about this but... Why not simply use a spray can of clear coat? Will require more protection for the car, don't want overspray everywhere, but it should offer the best protection...
    no?

Post Thanks / Like

Hehe yeah, it's been mentioned.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Huge thread, read posts here and there so I might have missed if someone talked about this but... Why not simply use a spray can of clear coat? Will require more protection for the car, don't want overspray everywhere, but it should offer the best protection...
    no?
    its messy and most spray can clear coats have an opaque film when you apply them(at least the ones i tried using.) also most 1k clear coats dont last longer spar/ms. 2k clear coat sprays will last a LONG time but inhaling that stuff without proper equipment(air supply) will kill you quicker then crack. no thanks mike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    no?
    1 - Unless you are removing the headlamp assemblies you have to mask almost the entire car to avoid overspray.

2 - It's costs a lot more than a can of Spar varnish and the spirits to dilute it.

3 - The paper towel application method will apply a thicker coat. Doing a much better job of UV damage prevention. To get the same build thickness would require three or four spray coats (to avoid runs in the spray paint) that one spray can might only be enough for two or three cars.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bit of an update. Glasweld applied in Dec 2014. Took this picture today late in the afternoon so maybe it hides defects, but overall the coating seems to be holding up well. This car is parked on the street and sits in the sun all day, everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by foolthrottle808 View Post
    Hi, newbie from Hawaii here. My recent attempt at the Glasweld Gclear on a 96 Dodge Caravan light. This was my first time using a coating like this so there was a bit of a run in the middle of the light. Personally I don't think its bad at all, though I wouldn't call it perfect. From a distance and to the casual eye...it looks pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

No daylight pics here but lenses I did in October and November, some of which are parked outside 24/7 through our harsh winter and driven hundreds of miles a week, look the same as when I did them. Overall I'm very satisfied. Note that all of the ones I've seen were protected with paint coating (EXOv2 or CQuartz) or regularly-maintained sealant (C2v3 or Reload).
    Francesco

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

Hi guys, this is my first post-

I'm new to this forum and have sanded/polished a few sets of headlights before coming here.

I came across this thread/forum doing a google search trying to learn about sealing/UV protection.

I am still at a toss up between trying spar/MS, glasweld Gclear, OC/OL and any other products mentioned in the 132 pages that I finally (after a week or so) just finished reading.

Hotrod many thanks to you for getting this great thread starting, and a tip my hat to everyone that has contributed over the last 6+ years to this topic. THANK YOU ALL!

That being said I am trying to make some extra money on the side, and who knows where that will lead. I just want to be able to offer a warranty for my customers piece of mind. For myself I want to feel confident that the product I go with will withstand the UV exposure in South Florida for at least 1 year.

I have read most of the other threads linked here, but I still have these to read:
    Headlight sealant: spar urethane vs. opti coat 2.0

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-pro-pics.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-poo-fail.html

Although so many trial/error/opinions have already been shared, I'd like to know what some of you that turned this into a business are using all these years later.

I appreciate anyones feedback, but for now I need to get some sleep.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha, has this thread actually been going for 6 years?? Time certainly flies when your headlights are yellowing...

I don't know, if you are actually going to warranty your work you might want to use an actual UV cure headlight coating--which would be "none of the above".

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the reply Setec.

Are you doing any restorations as a business or just on your own vehicles as needed?

What product are you using for UV protection?

Page 132 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3282122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141 ... LastLast