autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

FWIW, EXOv2 plays nice with Gclear that's had 48 hours to cure.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    FWIW, EXOv2 plays nice with Gclear that's had 48 hours to cure.
    francesco

did you apply the EXO2 on your own car or a customers? Never thought of adding another clear coat but it could be a great idea. i wonder if it would be alright to mix the EVO2 in at the same time as the Gclear. It would be interesting to see if it can provide an extra layer of protection on top of the gclear.

Post Thanks / Like

It was on a family member's car, so I was given some leeway with which to experiment.

I don't think it'd be possible to mix the two even if they both use an alcohol carrier. The Gclear goes on almost as thick as the Sparathane mix, while EXOv2 is almost a vapor when applied. The EXO just adds an hydrophobic layer to the UV coating's surface.
    Francesco

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello to all. My name is Peter and I'm a 'newbie' to this forum.

A bit of background info. I reside in Malta where the average winter temp is 16c-61F and the summer is 32c-90F, We enjoy an average UV index of 7 for approximately 8 months of the year plus 300+ days of sunshine. Understandably, UV and environmentally damaged headlights are prevalent. I have been restoring headlights for 2 years.

I am constantly searching for new methods and products that will improve the end result for the customer. I have tried and/or experimented with just about every UV protectorate mentioned here. Todate, I am yet to find one that goes beyond 2 summers before it shows signs of deterioration. The most resilient product so far has been the Opti-Clear. The Spar/MS method doesn't last as long here.

With regard to headlight prep, like you, I do what ever it takes to remove the old film. I wet sand up to 800 grit after which time I switch over to Mequires M101 compound. I understand it has the cutting ability of 1000 grit and polishes out to a crystal clear finish with no fine scratches evident. It beats every other cutting compound I've tried. I use a standard power drill with a 3" buffing pad attached. The trick I found is to keep the RPMs low thus preventing over heating resulting in heat haze.

As always, I'll continue to prowl the internet searching for that ever elusive UV shield that lasts for years.

Wishing you all every success in your endeavors....... cheers

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Good tips Ratsrs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    It was on a family member's car, so I was given some leeway with which to experiment.

I don't think it'd be possible to mix the two even if they both use an alcohol carrier. The Gclear goes on almost as thick as the Sparathane mix, while EXOv2 is almost a vapor when applied. The EXO just adds an hydrophobic layer to the UV coating's surface.
    interesting. is the purpose of the hydophobic layer just to prevent water damage or what exactly is it suppose to do? Do you think it provides that much extra protection on top of what the other clear coat already provides? may invest in trying what you did but not sure if its worth it yet.

on a side note, i forgot to mention that i applied to the glcear to a test headlight that i got from the junkyard about few months ago(when i first got the gclear) and it is holding up really well. i keep it in my backyard facing the sun so it gets as much UV exposure as possible as well as rain(its rained about a dozen times) and it looks just as clear as when i first got it. i did the same thing back with the spar and by this time the lights were starting to streak up. Def a good sign!

Post Thanks / Like

I still prefer the UV spray types like See-Well. Although it stinks like hell. Absolutely flawless finish and incredible longevity.

Great thread...I've learned a lot here. It's over a year now and still absolutely amazing...just like new lights.

Have a look;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm4r84CMVrU

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the 2 oz. kit is 48 plus dollars. If it outlasts all the competition then it may be well worth the price?

Post Thanks / Like

On another forum I'm a member of there is a vender selling vinyl headlight covering, like a clear bra. Anyone tried something like that?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting products (headlight guard UV stabilised clear acrylic) from Airplex Industries Ltd. Made in New Zealand

Headlight Guard & Fog Lamp Covers - Airplex Auto Accessories

Page 129 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2979119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139 ... LastLast