autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 106 of 142 FirstFirst ... 65696979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1420
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

I fixed a neighbors headlights this weekend. Started with 500 grit and worked up to 300 grit. No compound or polish. Topped it off with the sealant using Minwax. I was really amazed at what happens when you apply.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M27GwlBfEXA]2006 Nissan Headlight Restoration - YouTube[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday I went looking for denatured alcohol and or propanol. Checked the usuals like HD and Lowes for the alcohol. No one new anything about this stuff. Is it under a different name? <Canada>

I noticed they don't have the Odorless Mineral Spirits at HD anymore, but I was able to get some elsewhere. Signs of things to come I guess :-(

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    Yesterday I went looking for denatured alcohol and or propanol. Checked the usuals like HD and Lowes for the alcohol. No one new anything about this stuff. Is it under a different name? <Canada>

I noticed they don't have the Odorless Mineral Spirits at HD anymore, but I was able to get some elsewhere. Signs of things to come I guess :-(
    Do you have a local 'Mom and Pop' hardware store (ie, not the big box stores), or a paint store nearby? Give them a shot.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

They tried to sell me Methyl Hydrate at a Mom & Pop store saying that it's basically the same thing.

Definitely similar but I'm not convinced. Would Methyl Hydrate be suitable (safe) as a last step cleaner before applying the Spar mix or am I better off sticking with Mineral Spirits? I believe this to be used to clean and get rid of any remaining moisture from the lens prior to coating it.

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

Methyl Hydrate is the same. "Methyl Hydrate" is an old term for wood alcohol. Whereas 'denatured alcohol' is ethanol (grain based).

At least that's what 'the wife' says. Chem was/is her field of choice.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Methyl Hydrate is the same. "Methyl Hydrate" is an old term for wood alcohol. Whereas 'denatured alcohol' is ethanol (grain based).

At least that's what 'the wife' says. Chem was/is her field of choice.

Bill

That may be true. I don't doubt it. My question is this... How much does it cost? If you are not going to use OMS, then why not just go to Target and get the 91% isopropyl alcohol? I was using this before I knew about the OMS and the 50/50 system. It works just fine. Causes no problems that I am aware of. I have used it on my own car. It also cleans the 50/50 off much quicker than OMS if you cause a run, streak, or miss a spot and have to re-coat.

That is just my experience.
    The only down side compared to OMS that I can think of is that OMS stays wet longer allowing you to get a quick visual of how the final appearance will be.
    Conduct yourself with integrity, in business, and in life.

Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by light-bright View Post
    That may be true. I don't doubt it. My question is this... How much does it cost? If you are not going to use OMS, then why not just go to Target and get the 91% isopropyl alcohol? I was using this before I knew about the OMS and the 50/50 system. It works just fine. Causes no problems that I am aware of. I have used it on my own car. It also cleans the 50/50 off much quicker than OMS if you cause a run, streak, or miss a spot and have to re-coat.

That is just my experience.
    The only down side compared to OMS that I can think of is that OMS stays wet longer allowing you to get a quick visual of how the final appearance will be.
    Denatured alcohol runs about $5-6 a quart. Yea, it is a higher cost item BUT (how to word this) a 'higher quality' product. Iso alcohol has percentage of water, the 91% would have at least 9% water. Whereas 'denatured' will be approaching 100%. As soon as you open any container of alcohol it will start attracting water from the atmosphere. So the higher percentage of alcohol in the beginning the better. It's the water we don't want.

I think our Canadian friend may not be able to purchase 'denatured alcohol' up there, hence he was offered the 'wood alcohol'.

Did this make sense? I'm still a little short on coffee this morning.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Also, "propanol" or "isoprop" can come in any percentage. It's basically slang for "isopropyl ethanol" and as such it can be 70&#37;, 91%, etc. Fine for cleaning resin off PCBs and adhesive residue off glass, and similar chores, but the denatured stuff is almost always sold at 99%+ so it's ideal for this task.
    Francesco

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

With this method, if I were to clean my car weekly, would it start wearing off?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ABC415 View Post
    With this method, if I were to clean my car weekly, would it start wearing off?

I'm guessing that if you wiped/cleaned your headlights with alcohol every week......it DEFINITELY WOULD remove ANY type of sealant/finish that was applied. Just use a mild soap and water to clean the lights. (Just my two cents)

Page 106 of 142 FirstFirst ... 65696979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116 ... LastLast