autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaned & M105ed My Dual Exhaust

Nice work
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Are you guys asking about the swirl removing power of m105 or just a comparison to other metal polishes?

M105 is definitely capable of removing swirls from chrome with ease.

My chrome trim had a ton of swirls. It annoyed me to no end.
    I tried m105 with a white pad on the pc. In one set it took out between 90%-95% of all swirling. I was content with this since I don't want to thin out the chrome too much.

All that was left was deeper swirls that I'm sure could have been removed if I did a few more sets or stepped it up to an orange pad.

I haveent tried the simichrome so I can't comment on a comparison but I will say that m105 cuts with ease on chrome.

Regular Member Superior_Details's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

ONR?
    im lost

Newbie Member WetBlackRanger[22s]'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Superior_Details View Post
    ONR?
    im lost
    ONR = Optimum No Rinse, waterless car wash & shine. No Rinse Wash & Shine’s advanced polymers and lubricants offer more surface protection and slickness than ordinary car soap alone. It acts as a water softener and conditioner to improve the quality of the water that touches your vehicle to provide the ultimate safe wash. (look it up in AG's store)

WetBlackRanger[22s]
    Co-Owner:
    Luxury Mobile Auto Detailing
    Brett Alt and Stephan Babb (blackz)
    Orlando, FL
    LuxuryAutoDetailNow@yahoo.com
    My CarDomain Page

Post Thanks / Like

M105 is quite abrasive as a polish and is designed for paint specifically, so I wondered just how much work the polish did. It seems more abrasive than most metal polishes when feeling between my fingers but inscientific at best.

Adding steel wool, even the finest available, is certainly abrasive and often suggested for heavy metal polishing in the past before 105 was even made. So I also wondered if steel wool was the defining power and polish was simply the lubrication.

It appears you liked both together and felt it was a win-win combo. I just wonder if I could get the same results using the same steel wool with just a metal polish like simichrome. Or could I get the same results using M105 with a wool polishing tip for instances ?? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    M105 is quite abrasive as a polish and is designed for paint specifically, so I wondered just how much work the polish did. It seems more abrasive than most metal polishes when feeling between my fingers but inscientific at best.

Adding steel wool, even the finest available, is certainly abrasive and often suggested for heavy metal polishing in the past before 105 was even made. So I also wondered if steel wool was the defining power and polish was simply the lubrication.

It appears you liked both together and felt it was a win-win combo. I just wonder if I could get the same results using the same steel wool with just a metal polish like simichrome. Or could I get the same results using M105 with a wool polishing tip for instances ?? Any thoughts are appreciated.
    I personally found quad zero steel wool and metal polish are stronger and 105 does not add anything after the use of steel wool. If the surface just needs a quick clean up or isn't that dirty I grab 105 and a microfiber towel and it gives great results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    I personally found quad zero steel wool and metal polish are stronger and 105 does not add anything after the use of steel wool. If the surface just needs a quick clean up or isn't that dirty I grab 105 and a microfiber towel and it gives great results.
    Thanks ... thats just what I wondered and was looking to understand better.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently did my exhaust tips with just #0000 steel wool and some metal polish and got results that I was pleasantly surprised with. I agree that it would be possible to yield good results with just a polish or just 105, but all depending of course on the type of tips and how bad the tips are.

I was able to see his tips in person and they look damn good, didnt realize they were that bad until these pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh are we talking about by hand? If that's the case than no, m105 won't be as effective as steelwool and some metal polish.

M105 will clean up oxidation pretty easily but by hand on chrome it won't do much if anything. You will tire yourself out long before everything is corrected.

But like I said earlier, by machine, m105 is abrasive enough to clear chrome swirling. You should actually be careful to not remove too much.

With some 3" or even 4" pads you could clear up large portions of chrome (ie:bumpers) in no time.

Post Thanks / Like

I was talking about doing it by hand. With the rotary m105 works well to polish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12