autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

2003 Porsche 911 Anniversary Series

Well, today brought my first Porsche. I met the owner at the local Porsche Club meeting, and he asked my opinion on taking some "scuffs" out of his fender. I gave it a cursory look, and it didn't seem too bad, so I told him it could be done. He asked how much, I said $200. I later emailed and told him that JUST the scuff removal would be $75, but exterior cleanup would be $200. He booked me for the full exterior detail.

During the consultation, we went over the other problem areas of the car. Car was nearly swirl free (and it had never been detailed) which told me the owner knows what he's doing, and is a car fanatic. This is his sixth Porsche.

So I agreed to meet him this morning and do the job while he tended to other business. I quoted 4-6 hours, but it took 9. Oh well. I am sorry that I didn't take before photos, but honestly, the car was silver and looked pretty darn good. Just needed an overall cleaning, claying, and wheel cleaning. I also polished it, and sealed it for him as he really wanted that.

Wash:
    Lower areas sprayed with Surf City Grime Destroyer
    Pre-Soak with PB SS&S
    2BM with PB SS&S & Grit guard in the rinse bucket

Wheels:
    Griot's Garage Wheel Cleaner (product test)
    Surf City Grime Destroyer
    Daytona Speed Master Brush
    Various other brushes. (need one of those Swisswax lugnut brushes)
    Wheel Wells got Megs APC+ 10:1
    Tires dressed with Wolfgang Tire Gel

Jambs:
    Washed with the same stuff as the car
    QD - DP Rinseless
    Trim & seals - PB Natural Look

Glass:
    Stoner's Instant Glass

Paint Correction:
    Megs Ultimate Compound on Edge 4" Orange Pad
    PB SSR2 on Edge 6" Green pad

Polish:
    Pooroys SSR1

LSP:
    Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

Trunk & Underhood
    Megs APC+ 20:1
    PB Natural Look

I leaned a LOT doing this detail. My process was ok, but not the most efficient. I was also testing out a BUNCH of new products today. That always takes longer as you learn to use new things.

The wash was uneventful, but the wheels were another matter. The Griot's Wheel Cleaner just didn't have the muscle to clean these wheels. They weren't super dirty, but the old road tar and other small spots had baked on. The car is tracked occasionally, but well cared for. So it just had a few "trouble spots" more than being dirty. I eventually had to re-do the wheels after give the Griot's 2 shots at it. I have said this before, and I will say it again. If you have not used Surf City's Grime Destroyer, you are MISSING OUT. This stuff is absolutely amazing. It is my go-to product when I just can't get results with anything else and it has never let me down.

After the wash, I clayed the car. It's never been clayed so it took quite a while to go over every inch. I was using a very mild clay on this silver paint, and that increased the needed time as well. I need to get a medium duty clay to make these jobs go faster. I used DP Rinseless as diluted as my clay lube. Works just like ONR, smells like bubblegum. It's a winner, but beware the flies!

I then rewashed the car the traditional way just to see where I was at. Did a quick dry. Then broke out the polishes. Removing the scuffs only took about 30 minutes. Ultimate Compound paired with a 4" orange Edge pad is a darn quick combo on the PC. My go-to combo for deep swirls or scratches. Once I had the scratches, I smoothed it out a bit with SSR on a green Edge pad. That was quick and painless.

I then did an SSR1 pass on the entire car save for the Clear-bra. I then did the door jambs with the QD (had washed them earlier with the car. Did some PB Natural Look on the trim and weatherstipping. Very impressed with that product but I need a better applicator. I then did the trim in the engine bay and the trunk with Megs APC+ and PB Natural Look. These two work very quickly together. I did some QD on the trunk lid as it was a painted surface.

Pulled the car into the garage, or attempted to anyway. Wouldn't start. Appears the battery was flat. Lesson here: If you leave the key in the ignition in a 996, it WILL drain the battery. I didn't play the radio, or anything else. I had to jump the car with my own. I suggested to the owner we take it for a spirited drive to charge it up, and maybe get some food on the way. So off we went and he obliged. Good GOD that thing is quick. I had forgotten. So when we got back, I did a rinseless wash, put the car in the garage, and applied Wolfgang Sealant while answering the owner's questions on clay, wax, sealant, and other things. While the sealant set up, I did the glass with Stoner's IG, and did the tires with Wolfgang Tire Gel.

We buffed off the sealant an hour later, pulled it out into the sun, and did a final inspection. Seems the spirited drive had laid a bead of dirt inside both rear wheels, and the fronts needed a bit of work also. I pulled out the Griot's and did the deed. Found a couple water spots and took care of those.

Owner was thrilled, gave me a tip equivalent to an hour's pay and we both parted happy. He's going to talk to other Porsche owners in the club and recommend me. Exactly what I had hoped for.

Sorry, no before or during pics. I was working alone, and working HARD. Here are a couple afters:

Front Corner:

Rear:

Head-On:

Wheels that took 2 friggin hours:

Money Shot:

Thanks for reading, comments welcome

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2003 Porsche 911 Anniversary Series

really nice work man, look very good

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work man. Its dangerous to jump some modern cars with sensitive computers and whatnot.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I know. We had the manual in hand.

Post Thanks / Like

You gotta love that Porsche and you did a great job cleaning it up

Post Thanks / Like

Looks Good!