autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

help with wheels

i got a buddy that wants me to polish his wheels and i have a few spots that i cant seem to get off. just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. [ictures are not that good sorry. i have tried neverdull as well as various polishes and pads ob a PC and my rotary.

here is what they looked like before what i have done already

and here is one at the progress so far

Post Thanks / Like

Re: help with wheels

try a strong AIO, i've read where people use Megs 105 to get off the hard water spots, atleast that what it looks like to me.
    Matt Ferguson
    Needed Touch Detailing
    Making the city shine, one car at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to tell from the pictures .I have also used never dull and that always seems to work.May have to try somthing that has a little more bite in it then what you have used.Maybe the chrome is just worn out and the nickel is starting to show ??
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

one of the polishes i used was Meg's ultimate compund as well as optimum polish. from a distance and in low light(2nd to last picture) they look nice but when you put some light on them(last picture) those spots really stand out and makes the wheel look like butt

Post Thanks / Like

From the pictures... it looks to me like maybe the clear coat on those aluminum wheels, is in the process of peeling, from the back side. I know this is a typical problem with ford Explorer wheels that are neglected, so I don't see why a Mustang Mach wheels, if neglected as well, wouldn't have the same problem. My guess is they will need to be re-cleared to fix 100%
    Greg (GXPWeasel)
    2007 Grand Prix GXP mostly stock

Post Thanks / Like

I applaud you. Huge improvement that you may not be able to make much better.
    Sometimes it seems like a double edge sword. A wheel may already be ruined by rust pitting or similar. It's still tough to think about getting too aggressive but just for example; what's worse, the rust or some scratches? I'm just spewing but sorta know what you're up against without seeing them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GXPWeasel View Post
    From the pictures... it looks to me like maybe the clear coat on those aluminum wheels, is in the process of peeling, from the back side. I know this is a typical problem with ford Explorer wheels that are neglected, so I don't see why a Mustang Mach wheels, if neglected as well, wouldn't have the same problem. My guess is they will need to be re-cleared to fix 100%
    i was afraid it was the clearcoat peeling. which is why i have not gone drastic with them and wet sanded them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    I applaud you. Huge improvement that you may not be able to make much better.
    Sometimes it seems like a double edge sword. A wheel may already be ruined by rust pitting or similar. It's still tough to think about getting too aggressive but just for example; what's worse, the rust or some scratches? I'm just spewing but sorta know what you're up against without seeing them.

there is a improvement but those little spots just make it all seem not worth it. thanks

Super Member ObsessiveAutoDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GXPWeasel View Post

Toyota/Scion TRD rims do the same thing. I wound up taking mine to a wheel shop to have them refinished. Under $450.00 for $3,000 worth of rims. Keep in mind I took them off during the winter and they're under 1 year old. It just happens.

Post Thanks / Like

For coated wheels you have to stick to paint polishes and products. Etching from previous harsh cleaners is almost impossible to remove without repair or wetsanding if rather light.

Post Thanks / Like

i talked with the owner of these wheels and he is saying they are not coated. they are polished aluminum. he is talking about clearing them once i am done. i may try wetsanding or 0000 steel wool today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast