autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wooden Boat Detail

I recently received a call from a man who wanted to know if i detailed boats...i told the man i had done quite a few boats in the past and we set up a time for me look at it. Well when i arrived at the dock where i was to detail it i was a little weary whether or not to take the job because the boat was wooden and i had never done a wooden boat before. I talked myself into it after much thought due to the fact i like taking on new jobs. i had to detail it in the water which was another concern because i had to be sure and not let any of my products get in the water. I opted for ONR since the boat was not really dirty to start with it just lacked protection and shine. I did some research on the particular clear coat used on the boat and discovered it was the same as what they use on sea ray yachts. After cleaning i used a DP clay bar to remove the contaminants. I applied 2 coats of Klasse AIO with my PC and later covered that with 2 coats of Zymol Marine wax. The interior was much easier and 303 was used throughout. I think it turned out well and the customer was thrilled. The water rolled off nicely and shine was very deep and wet. I hope i have a repeat customer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wooden Boat Detail-boat-jpg   Wooden Boat Detail-boat2-jpg   Wooden Boat Detail-boat3-jpg   Wooden Boat Detail-boat4-jpg   Wooden Boat Detail-boat5-jpg   Wooden Boat Detail-boat6-jpg   Wooden Boat Detail-boat7-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wooden Boat Detail

I have always loved the looks of those boats. You did a great job on her. Very nice looking. Shinny
    Greg (GXPWeasel)
    2007 Grand Prix GXP mostly stock

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the compliment. I agree there is something special about wooden boats. This one was beautiful to start with i just had to give it a little shine. It definitely helps when you have something as pretty as this to work with.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you get down the sides of the hull?

Do you lie on the dock or lie across the side of the boat to reach down to the waterline?

Post Thanks / Like

Good question...i had to do a little trial and error on that myself. I first tried leaning over the sides to get it but it ended up dropping the boat too far into the water for me to clean much of it. I found a point on the dock that was low enough for me to get all of it but it was definitely time consuming having to move the boat around to get all sides. I thought about doing it from in the water but it would have created too much wake and i really didn't want to risk ruining my PC (or my life) if i dropped it or if the cord fell in the water. Thank goodness the wake was very calm the day i cleaned it.

Post Thanks / Like

Was it a classic or a newer boat?

Post Thanks / Like

Flynn, It is a 1964 model with many custom redone features. You can see in the pictures the interior is like the older Ford Thunderbirds and there has been some woodwork on the outsides. I dont know much about boats but thats what i got from it.

Post Thanks / Like

I love that style of boat! If i remember correctly it is a flat bottom? When those babies plain out, HOLD ON!

Nice work BTW!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks HMFIC. Yes it is a flat bottom with a 454 Chevy Camaro big block in it. It drinks the gas but man will it move!

Post Thanks / Like

at first while reading i thought it was a wooden boat w/ no clear on it.. lol... turned out great though.. nice job
    08 Honda Accord Coupe V6 Polished Metal Metallic
    06 Acura TSX Alabaster Silver Metallic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast