autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

'01 Ferrari F360

This is an '01 f360 that has about 13K on the odo. i took these pictures today before it was picked up for a service visit to Algar Ferrari, which is partly why he paid for a detail in the middle of the winter. he wanted the dealer to see the car in pristine shape. i only got a few marginal during the time i was working on it a couple weeks back and i don't have a good camera (canon a570is) so i only took basic pics, no before of afters or any sexy detailed finish condition pics.

The car has never seen a real corrective detail in its life and it showed. The current owner has had it for several years and personally washes the car religiously. Evidently he attempted several times to use a 7336 with Griots products to make the car pretty, but about all he succeeded at was applying too much hard-to-remove wax each time. He was using red pads with the machine polish, having to fight against stubborn wax smears...just not good.

It had tons of RIDS everywhere. It also has a vintage clear bra on it that has quite a few uncorrectable swirls in itself, has yellowed a bit, especially toward the bottom of the car and the front portions of the bra had yellow clay along all of the seams.

The wheels are OZ Superleggera III's that were painted while assembled (meaning, not split into 2 or 3 pieces for paint). The lips are clear coated and are laden with scratches.

I spent about 6 hours initially prepping the car and working on the finish. At a later date i did the interior, but decided to continue to refine the exterior for another few hours, so in the end i spent about 8.5-9 hours on the exterior, and 4 elsewhere, such as the interior.

I was pretty pleased with the end result, but this car is what prompted me to get a 9227c. It just took too long with the PC to get results on this rather hard clear coat. the entire car had flaws on practically every square inch. i could have possibly started with optimum compound throughout as opposed to the polish, considering the flexibility of their compound (not hyper), however i have no idea how much clear is on this thing so i started with a pretty light combination and just spent the time.

The issues i could not totally correct were the billions of light scratches on the clear coated lips of the wheels. I was able to make the lips appear better by a hand application of poli-seal and then some optimum spray wax, but if it were my wheels i would have them refinished. also, various issues with the clear bra. thankfully the technology has advanced quite a bit in that realm, so the issues that this car faces with the bra are a thing of the past with current products. the driver's side seat showed some bolster wear, which is typical of ferraris. These ferraris have a felt-like trim to seal the doors. they pick up everything and anything and are not very easy to clean. i used a lint roller, i probably have to use 20:1 powerclean and some sort of brush, but i have not quite dialed that in yet.

=exterior=
    optimum powerclean 10:1 on rocker and all lower areas of the car. also, back of mirrors.
    full strength on wheels and wells
    dawn wash with very warm softened and AN'd water
    EZ detail brush used for inside of wheels
    green well brush and EZ brush for wells
    dried
    inspected
    5.5"/4" orange pads + optimum polish with PC.
    4" yellow pad + optimum compound on certain heavy scratches, which were refined with the orange pad + OP
    5.5" white pad + OP
    rinse and dry
    5.5" green pad + poli-seal
    opti-seal by hand (naturally ; )
    optimum tire shine

=interior=
    wipedown with 20:1 powerclean
    10:1 for especially dirty items such as pedals, passenger side footboard, steering wheel, center console plate, etc
    green machine'd the roof and carpets. the roof needed to be followed up with my shop vac as it has some type of open cell foam in it.
    optimum protectant
    advance auto clear view glass cleaner

=tools=
    dual MF mitts
    5 gal bucket with gritguard
    temperature controlled softened and neutralized water
    lug nut boar's hair brush
    small toothbrush
    EZ wheel brush
    long handle basic green well brush
    advance auto MFs for glass, interior, etc
    cobra supreme MFs and cobra jr MFs
    heated Green Machine
    5 gal ridgid shop vac
    PC 7274
    wolfgang oval dual-sided applicator
    autogeek yellow foam applicator

i think that's it...

i have some more pics but photobucket is acting up so i can't rotate them quite yet...

Last edited by builthatch; 01-13-2009 at 05:44 PM.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: '01 Ferrari F360

That's a nice looking Ferrari... but when I think Ferrari, I always think RED. I must have watched too much Magnum P.I. when I was young???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ewiesner View Post
    That's a nice looking Ferrari... but when I think Ferrari, I always think RED. I must have watched too much Magnum P.I. when I was young???
    hehe...interestingly enough, while i'm not a fan of ferrari with the exceptions of the 288gto and f40, my favorite color ferrari is white!

white is very big for Ferrari in Asia and man, are they striking!

Post Thanks / Like

car looks great, too bad about the clear bra, but the issues with the wheels may come from the anodizing that is over the polished lip. it usually doesnt polish like regular clear due to it being much harder, harder than powder coating. most of the times its just better just to sand it off and actually polish the hoops. time consuming but looks much better, just my .02, car looks great though

Post Thanks / Like

looks great though i have a question: your dilution of powerclean is way more diluted than what optimum recommends 3 to 1. i have used the recommended dilution on my interior, should i be diluting it more?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amy5732 View Post
    looks great though i have a question: your dilution of powerclean is way more diluted than what optimum recommends 3 to 1. i have used the recommended dilution on my interior, should i be diluting it more?
    a fellow powerclean user! nice! well, fellow...you know what i meant!

i sorta look at my dilutions like i do with my polishing. i try the least aggressive, and see if it works and then run with that.

i mean, some interiors i'm sure people will look at and say to themselves, "damn self, i need to start with atleast 3:1 on this one!"

but........

10:1 is about as strong as i get for interiors. the main reason is i don't tend to see any interiors with much dirt to start. i've only done relatively well-kept new/newish cars and exotics. i use the 20:1 for interiors of cars like this ferrari, where there is very little grime other than simple human oils/grease. the dude just doesn't do much in the car other than drive, and usually by himself, so it just needed a basic film wipeoff. the typically worst areas weren't even dirty the steering wheel, handles, etc. plus the ferrari has ALOT of leather so i just want to get the topmost film/spit/whatever off of it and clean/condition with the protectant.

i find that 10:1 with some agitation works well for bolts, screws, pedals, footrests, etc...stuff that gets dirtier by default.

highline, i'll tell you this: let's just say, if it was my car, i'd do ALOT different with those wheels, hehe..umm, *cough* BBS LM *cough*
    Last edited by builthatch; 01-13-2009 at 09:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

tanks for the reply! btw the way i love powerclean, but i was thinking that a dilution that dissolves brake dust is a little too strong for interior work. i shall dilute further.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    highline, i'll tell you this: let's just say, if it was my car, i'd do ALOT different with those wheels, hehe..umm, *cough* BBS LM *cough*
    Good call, HRE's always look sexy too...

Post Thanks / Like

car looks great man, nice work

2007 Honda Civic SI

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful car. I think any ferrari looks best in a non-flashy color. Looks very clean!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast