autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

1967 Chevy Nova-The Ultimate Before and After

After looking for a long time for a good quality 1966 or 1967 Chevy Nova , I purchased this 1967 Chevy II Nova in Annapolis, Maryland about 2 years ago. The car was in fantastic shape with a new motor, suspension, and chrome. The only real issue was the condition of the paint which could easily be taken care of.

During this summer I finally decided that it was time to have the paint work completed after finishing off some of the other work that needed to be done. Since getting the paintwork finished I have reupholstered the front seat and had some engine dress up items installed.

The work was done by a local body shop that specializes in some muscle car work and refinishing. After hearing about a recent ground up restoration that they had done on a 1962 Corvette, I decided that I would have them do the work. The shop was reluctant to jump into another project so soon but I explained to them that some the motor and other things on the car were not original so I wasn’t really concerned with a full numbers matching restoration. I was more interested in a nice car that could be taken to cruise nights, car shows, etc. I wanted a good solid car that I could drive and have fun with.

The body shop had the car for about 7 weeks. After completely tearing it done it was determined that some body work was going to be needed. Instead of doing things on the “cheap” I decided that it would be better to buy complete new body panels. The panels included, new rear quarter, new hood, new fenders and new drivers door sill. During the tear down I also replaced as much trim, emblems, glass, and other pieces that are reproduced for the car.

Here are some before pics:

I finally decided on the color which is House of Kolor Candy Brandywine over Gamma Gold. I saw the color on a 1939 Mercury Street Rod at a local car show and literally stalked the owner down at the show until I got the paint codes. I fell in love with the color the minute I saw it and knew I wanted it on my car. The flake in the paint in the sun is unreal.

After waiting 7 weeks for paint to cure, I decided it was time for the first real detail. The shop really went the extra mile on the car and painted the brake hubs and calipers to match the car. It was a very nice touch.

The paint had some minimal marring and some holograms from the body shop. The real issue was getting a lot of the wet sanding dust and crud out from all of the crevices and tiny areas. The body shop did a fantastic job but I wanted to go the extra mile and make sure it was perfect. The car was detailed over a three day period with about 18 man hours. It’s amazing how time flys by when you are doing something like this. I honestly don’t know where some of the time went during the days that I was working on it. I guess I was just having fun 

Process:

Wash with 2 BM and Durgloss 901
    Clay with Sonus green clay and Optimum Spray Detailer as lube
    Interior completely wiped down with Citrus degreaser and/or Woolite 6:1
    All vinyl treated with Optimum Protectorant Plus
    All interior lenses and plastics polished with Megs Plastix
    Polish with 3M Ultrafina via Makita 9227 and 3M finishing pad
    ## EZ Cream Glaze via UDM and LC black pad
    LSP=CG Petes 53
    Glass cleaned with Zep Glass Cleaner
    All chrome polished with Megs Hot Shine Chrome Polish
    Wheels Polished via Powerball with Simichrome and English Custom Showman’s Blend
    Engine dressed with CD2 Engine Detailer and 303 Aerospace
    Suspension wiped down with ONR
    Zaino Clear Seal on rotor hubs and calipers

Pics:

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/vbg...etimage&id=180

What’s next????

Well that’s a very good question. I really love the American Racing Torque Thrusts that are on the car. However, the prior owner kept them in decent shape but since they are a polished wheel they are a pain to keep up on. They have also seen some wear over the years. These same wheels can be custom ordered from a American Racing dealership program with a chrome center. I may get them and leave the lip polished.

I am also considering replacing the Edlebrock intake manifold with one of their Endurashine manifolds. I think it will match some of the other chrome work on the engine. The plain manifold is something that I notice every time I open the hood.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1967 Chevy Nova-The Ultimate Before and After

Great looking car Pat.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn man, looks awesome!!

Hows the underside? I get a lot of cars at the shop that people don't want to worry about the underside. They just want the car finished and "shiny"

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet ride and beautiful paint Pat!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome ride and color Pats!
    AMG Classic Automotive Detailing 45 year's and still going at it!

Post Thanks / Like

Love those those older Novas and yours is a real beauty. I was glad you decided to drive it to shows etc.. To many people don't enjoy them like you by keeping them in a trailer or garaged all the time. I feel that cars were meant to drive.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome Nova. My dad and I restored a 69 Camaro ourselves. Definitely something I'm glad we got to do.

A little advice on the Endurashine intake. Really inspect it before you put it on. We went through three before we found one that didn't have a flaw in the finish that wanted to chip/flake off before we installed it. And then we still had problems with it. It seems to be that it's such a thick coating that it had problems bonding in some areas...

Enjoy the ride man, there's nothing quite like classic American Muscle

Post Thanks / Like

Thanking you for saving a classic from being crushed. As for the manifold have you considered powder coating or even ceramic coating? I was quoted $50 from Nitro Plate to ceramic coat my lower cobra intake (at the same time having my long tube headers coated).

Post Thanks / Like

Car looks great Pat. Looks like you put a lot of work into her.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't see pictures while at work

I'l have to look at them later. I have a 66 Nova and I do love the cars. Im sure it looks great Pat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast