autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My 2019 Jetta GLI 35th Edition

So as requested by a couple guys I am posting a "build thread" for my car which recently got a major upgrade. I will tell you guys what I have done so far and what I plan to do going forward, as well as end goals. Pictures will be included of course.

This is my third VW but the first I decided to seriously modify. My GTI had some driver aid mods that were simple and had nothing to do with producing more power. Things like upgraded mounts and shifter bushings, things of that nature. I got out of it due to cronic hip and back pain so no more manuals for me. I got my first auto after the GTI, my DSG GLI. I drove it 45,000 miles before I decided to mod the car. I can actually tell you exactly what day and what exactly it was that caused me to pull such an expensive trigger. There is a YouTube channel our of Canada called Throttle House. Decent reviews often of very obtainable cars, unlike most automotive journalists who go "Today we will be driving the $450k ______________ that you and I will never own." Anyways, this particular video stacked the 2021 GLI against a 2.0T Accord Sport, a Sonata N-line, and an Ecoboost Mustang. It wasn't a race, it was a slaughter. The GLI started off with a poor launch due to trash Hankook tires(I can't say it enough, they were horrible) and well things just got worse from there for the GLI. Many car lengths were between it and the bumper of 3rd place(which I think was the Sonata) and the Honda and Mustang well they were already in the next time zone. I audibly said something along the lines of "Oh hell no, not my car, not to me." and the die was cast. Fast forward 3 months or so and I now have the APR software file for running the IS38 turbocharger(Golf R/S3 turbo) on my stock downpipe. I wanted a sleeper and boy does this file cater to that perfectly. Like it was made just for me. But, I should say it didn't start there, I wanted to test the waters first with some simple bolt ons. I told myself if that proves to not be a waste of money I will proceed further.

I started out with the APR Turbo Inlet pipe, turbo muffler delete, and open air intake. Install was simple and leisurely and took me about 2 hours for it all. Cleaning some nooks an crannies otherwise not accessible along the way. Took the car out and leaving the first stop sign and heading uphill I noticed better throttle response and low end torque immediately. Cool. I didn't waste my money and APR makes good products. Moving forward. Total cost of yhe initial mods came to around $600. I couldn't complain.

Shortly after that I made my appointment for getting my tune. I wanted to get the APR Stage 2 which included a downpipe and software. Well, sometime between me learning about Stage 2 cars back in like 2014 and me wanting to do this APR stopped making downpipes. So the classic "stage 2" was no longer and option with them. I wanted to stay with APR however due to reputation and reliability. So the owner of the shop I was speaking to suggested the "Stage 3" IS38 route. Cost is more, but the IS38 is essentially thee mod to slap on these EA888 engines in the GTI and GLI if you want to make serious power. So he talked me into it. Put a down payment on parts and scheduled for this September 11th. Everything went great, I cannot recommend HS Tuning in Westlake, OH enough to anyone in the region who owns a German car. Any German car. Clean shop. Clean work. Nice and very knowledgeable staff both the owner and the techs.

So, the car now. Wow wow wow. I have quite the sleeper now. 100% stock exhaust and *should* be making nearly 350whp and 360wt. All you hear is the diverter valve doing what diverter valves do and beautiful turbo whistles....it's lovely, and you can't hear me coming. Obviously I cannot report on economy gains at this time due to it still being the honeymoon phase still, I've not been driving economical to say the least hahaha. But next long trip to my folks I'll have the baby with me so won't have a choice but to find out. But there should be improvements there as well. I can also say the TCU Software is a must....even on otherwise stock DSG cars. It smooths out the beast so well and any complaints you may ir may not have regarding your VWAG DSG transmission will likely go away with the TCU Software. In addition to the TCU Software I also installed APR coil packs and Audi spark plugs, which are heat range 9, one higher than my factory plugs.

So far I have really only opened the car up once, lots of construction on my commute so have to be wise about it, but a G35 Infiniti blew past me and I let him get quite a ways ahead and I chased him down very easily. Got over 100mph well before I even looked down at the speedo and people were moving out of the way like I was a cop chasing the guy down. Not gonna lie, at night my DRL strip around the headlight does look a bit Charger-like...I can see them coming to that conclusion given how rapidly I was gaining. After that, I told myself that I had proven to myself I have a pocket rocket now and no need to let everyone know right away. I made my point to myself that I needed to. "James, you didn't waste your money" LOL.

So what's next?

In order:

1)P3 Digital Guage Pod
    2)CTS Front Mount Intercooler
    3)MBRP Catback
    4)Larger Rear Sway Bar
    5)Stickier Tires
    6)APR DCC Software

After that. Autocross. My 2019 Jetta GLI 35th Edition-20230727_102543-jpgMy 2019 Jetta GLI 35th Edition-20230727_113122-jpgMy 2019 Jetta GLI 35th Edition-20230727_110019-jpgMy 2019 Jetta GLI 35th Edition-20230727_111459-jpgMy 2019 Jetta GLI 35th Edition-20230727_134324-jpg

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My 2019 Jetta GLI 35th Edition

Great thread, EXACTLY what we wanted My 2019 Jetta GLI 35th Edition

I wish we could meet up "in Mexico" but I think I'd be reading that APR badge based on your estimate of hp/tqMy 2019 Jetta GLI 35th EditionMy 2019 Jetta GLI 35th Edition

That ARP TIP looks amazing and those coils look exactly like mine, so I'm betting MSD made them for APRMy 2019 Jetta GLI 35th Edition

When do you hit the dyno? Btw I'm subbed to throttle house, great channel and approach My 2019 Jetta GLI 35th Edition

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool. APR makes good stuff.

Any thoughts to things like brakes or suspension mods? Once you go down the road of stickier tires, they will reveal places where those two areas will need upgrades. That and it makes taking advantage of all the power a lot easier/safer.

I didn't notice it in your write up, but did you do an exhaust? I thought that was needed for a "stage 2" with APR. Something that exhales a little more freely.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

4. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Great thread, EXACTLY what we wanted My 2019 Jetta GLI 35th Edition

I wish we could meet up "in Mexico" but I think I'd be reading that APR badge based on your estimate of hp/tqMy 2019 Jetta GLI 35th EditionMy 2019 Jetta GLI 35th Edition

That ARP TIP looks amazing and those coils look exactly like mine, so I'm betting MSD made them for APRMy 2019 Jetta GLI 35th Edition

When do you hit the dyno? Btw I'm subbed to throttle house, great channel and approach My 2019 Jetta GLI 35th Edition

To be honest your car is what I am most excited to potentially run against, out if a dig I would still put money on the N. Especially with my all-season tires. Good as they are. My car is asking a lot of them now. But once I get beyond 2nd gear look out!!!!! Whooooosh! The diverter valve is working hard haha

I plan to dyno the car after all mods that affect power output are finished. That's my plan, at least. So potentially towards end of next year. I hope.

2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Very cool. APR makes good stuff.

Any thoughts to things like brakes or suspension mods? Once you go down the road of stickier tires, they will reveal places where those two areas will need upgrades. That and it makes taking advantage of all the power a lot easier/safer.

I didn't notice it in your write up, but did you do an exhaust? I thought that was needed for a "stage 2" with APR. Something that exhales a little more freely.
    I plan on upgrading rear Sway Bar and getting the APR DDC suspension module. It allows me to customize the settings on the adjustable dampers the car already has. Start there. Brakes would certainly need upgraded for autocross but I figured I'll cross that bridge when I'm ready likely a ways down the road. Big brake kits aren't cheap!

APR got rid of their "stage 2" file a few years ago apparently when they stopped making downpipes. My software file with this OEM+ turbo is essentially their replacement as the output figures of my "stage 3" are only slightly higher. You can also see the smaller IS20 with the downpipe has a torque advantage initially as the larger IS38 with the stock downpipe takes a bit longer. Amazed APR can do that? Me too....I asked over and over again "So I don't need a downpipe?" HS Tuning: "Nope". The fact is in some places it's getting harder to run "off-road use only" downpipes with nearly meaningless catalysts in them. Even the good ones won't pass a sniffer. Thankfully in Ohio it is only an OBD scan to make sure there are no faults, the readiness code is set, and they can communicate with the 02s. That's it. You could be belching smoke pulling in choking everyone, as long as it passes that test. Lol. Diesel tricks may have a different experience especially with the popularity here of deleting their emissions systems.

If I didn't have an intake you would have no idea my car was modded. The IS38, externally, is only slightly larger than the IS20 and with the stock downpipe no one would be the wiser. APR has adapted, really. Also caters to the group of peticular VW owners who want no CELs for any reason. I shouldn't with this file. Additionally I wanted a sleeper and my 100% stock exhaust is offering me that. That said, I plan on getting the MBRP catback system. Runs $750.

7. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hell even APRs intercooler runs low-key as it sits sandwiched where the stock one does. It is just way more efficient due to greater volume and other things. May or may not get that between that or thr CTS Front Mount. Which isn't sleeper at all ha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
    To be honest your car is what I am most excited to potentially run against, out if a dig I would still put money on the N. Especially with my all-season tires. Good as they are. My car is asking a lot of them now. But once I get beyond 2nd gear look out!!!!! Whooooosh! The diverter valve is working hard haha

I plan to dyno the car after all mods that affect power output are finished. That's my plan, at least. So potentially towards end of next year. I hope.

Well hopefully you go up against a "tuned" oneMy 2019 Jetta GLI 35th Edition

10. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well hopefully you go up against a "tuned" oneMy 2019 Jetta GLI 35th Edition

How is the KDM engine software these days? Do you have any mods?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
    How is the KDM engine software these days? Do you have any mods?

From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

13. Thanks PouncingPanzer thanked for this post
    Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

Nice! So that's a 10-4 lol. Solid numbers the whp figures are above the Mk7 generation Stage 1 Volkswagens. But recently released Stage 1 E85 files for the Mk8 GTIs are stupid. Basically what my car is putting down but with just software and switching fuels. I run the 93 Octane High-Torque file(manual cars need a clutch upgrade) and also run nothing but Shell 93 My 2019 Jetta GLI 35th Edition

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast