autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel Wednesday!

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    It's a normal paint coating and not a dedicated wheel product correct?

I know I've got Mohs EVO on my wheels right now and I'm pretty happy as well. About 8~9 months in they still look pretty good and bead water well. Not quite as slick as when first applied, but that's actually a good thing since I swap my wheels out pretty frequently during the warm months.
    It's a dedicated wheel coating. It's bucks the trend of tacky feeling wheel coatings, and is said to outlive the optimistic durability claims made by competitor coatings.

I plan to put a review in the review section soon, I know it's not sold by AG, but I think it's worth sharing information when a product stands above the rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    The Armor Detail supply coating he used? It’s a dedicated wheel coating
    Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    It's a dedicated wheel coating. It's bucks the trend of tacky feeling wheel coatings, and is said to outlive the optimistic durability claims made by competitor coatings.
    I'm an idiot. I noticed the brand and the main part of the lable looked just like their paint coating. I didn't see the huge letters spelling out "WHEEL" down the side... I'll drink more coffee before posting next time.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

3. Likes Coatingsarecrack, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm an idiot. I noticed the brand and the main part of the lable looked just like their paint coating. I didn't see the huge letters spelling out "WHEEL" down the side... I'll drink more coffee before posting next time.
    Or less coffee?

5. Likes Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Found some pictures of the wheels on my previous cars.

The first are the 18" rims that came on my 2011 Berlina wagon. Two of the rims had gutter rash when I bought it, so I found some on eBay, but they were 9 hours away in Melbourne, they offered delivery, but who doesn't love a roadtrip. And because I didn't make him pack them up, he let me go through the pallet to find the best ones, they were basically new, taken off brand new vehicles when different wheels were optioned. These were my favourite Holden factory wheels, I loved the machines face and the big gaps for easy cleaning, they really suited the car too, these were the only wheels I never swapped out for something better.

The second is the 17" factory rim fitted to my 2005 SV6 Commodore, another easy to clean wheel, but very boring. I changed these after a year or so, kept the same size, but something more flashy. I loaned them to my nephew when he discovered he had a cracked rim, then he had a "drifting" accident and completely shattered one of them, so I made him buy them off me. Looking at that picture I'm remembering how small those discs were, and that's the front one.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

7. Likes Klasse Act, DFB, Coatingsarecrack, Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not normally a fan of black wheels but we've had two cars with them. They are my wife's cars so i'm not as pressed about updating them but depending on how 2024 goes, I may do so for her new car. Her Mazda has a slight flake in them but honestly, you'd never know as one errand to the store and they are flaky with brake dust. LOL!

She says she likes them as do a few others. I personally see nothing in black wheels as they show no real detail or depth but that's just me. I like mine that I powder coated instead. Porsche Vulcan Grey Metallic for me. Big difference when looking at them side by side in the driveway too.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

9. Likes Big Dave, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    I'm not normally a fan of black wheels but we've had two cars with them. They are my wife's cars so i'm not as pressed about updating them but depending on how 2024 goes, I may do so for her new car. Her Mazda has a slight flake in them but honestly, you'd never know as one errand to the store and they are flaky with brake dust. LOL!

She says she likes them as do a few others. I personally see nothing in black wheels as they show no real detail or depth but that's just me. I like mine that I powder coated instead. Porsche Vulcan Grey Metallic for me. Big difference when looking at them side by side in the driveway too.

The Mazda wheel style is nice, powder coat them anthracite or even the finish of your Accord wheels, those look greatWheel Wednesday!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I cleaned & polished my spare set of wheels & tires in prep for long term storage.

I’ve deflated the tires and double bagged them in large trash bags to make sure they stay clean.

12. Likes Klasse Act, Big Dave, Dirty Harry, Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quoting yourself and/or duplicating a post might be bad form, but I thought it would be a good contribution to this thread. This is a post I did here a couple of years ago, but the products are still relevant.

A few weeks ago I delaminated the outer tread blocks on one of my front tires following an autocross event. For several years, I ran events on my regular wheel/tire sets, but soon realized I was tearing through tires faster than I should and by running a staggered wheel set on normal summer tires I was giving up several seconds to my competitors. So I went in search of a dedicated set of wheels and tires in a square set up. This lead me to stumble across a screaming deal on a used set in a city not far away. While the wheels and the sticky tires were exactly what I needed, they were a bit, ummm....grimy. I understand these are race wheels and you aren't gong to show them the same love as a set you drive on daily, but these were so bad you couldn't touch them without turning your hands black with brake dust!

Here is what they looked like after I brought them home. The previous owner wiped down the faces, but hadn't touched the barrels...maybe ever.

After giving the barrels a good spray down with the Griots Wheel Cleaner, I found the 50/50 to look pretty amazing. The wheel cleaned up pretty effortlessly.

The wheels were then finished off front and back, and here are the results. I bet they haven't looked this good since the owner pulled them out of the box!

I will freely admit there were a few globs of rubber and tar from the track which the wheel cleaner didn't remove, but I wouldn't expect it to. A little Stoner's Tarminator and those were easily removed as well. Also, two of the wheels were oddly dirtier than the others. The dust looked no different than the one I pictured, but after the first cleaning there were areas on the barrels that simply wouldn't come off. I spot cleaned them with a bottle of Meguiars Hot Wheels Chrome Cleaner after Eldorado2K letting me know it's the consumer form of Wheel Brightener. That stuff is SERIOUSLY strong, and knocked out those trouble spots like they were nothing. No way I'd use that stuff on a regular basis, but it does serve a purpose!

14. Thanks Prange thanked for this post
    Likes Big Dave, DFB, BudgetPlan1, Dirty Harry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quoting yourself and/or duplicating a post might be bad form, but I thought it would be a good contribution to this thread. This is a post I did here a couple of years ago, but the products are still relevant.
    What brush did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I used the EZ Detail wheel brush (the Speedmaster clone) and a non-name wheel face brush I picked up at WalMart. The design of the wheel is so open the vast majority of the work was done with the wheel face brush.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast