autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

First Ceramic Coat

We had a 2020 explorer for just under three years. In that time it spent almost 9 months at the dealer for warranty work. After the second trip for transmission issues it went carmax as soon as we picked it up. Then over to our local Honda dealer to order a Pilot Elite and were told it would be 6 to 8 weeks, maybe sooner if we had a couple different colors we were willing to go with. 14 weeks later ours in Platinum White Pearl 2nd choice) arrived.

Our first drive in an elite trim was when we did a quick shakedown drive before signing the paperwork. It went from the dealer straight to a PPF shop for a partial front wrap, and to get rid of the random chrome trim. Honda doesn't have a blackout package for the pilot in the US, but they do in Canada.

I washed with Gyeon Foam, then did a decon with DP intense iron remover, a 2 bucket wash and BF medium clay mitt, and a dry with my waffle weaves. First time using a foam cannon and even if it's not adding much, it's fun!

I went around with a light trying to find any spots that I felt needed correction. I couldn't. I also tried a small spot with BF polish and a white thin pro pad on my PC. After wiping I couldn't tell a difference from the rest of the paint. It was in solid shape coming off the truck so I did a wipe down with Gyeon Prep, and went to work. After two coats, here's the results:

White is damn hard to show off in pictures.

I did 2 coats of Gyeon MOHS, and topped with their Ceramic Detailer. I also did a coat on the wheels. I didn't take any pictures during because frankly, I didn't have time. It was close to 90 degrees when I started applying in my garage, and in the low 80s when I finished the first coat at about 11pm. The first coat only used about 1/4 of the bottle. I put a 2nd coat on at 8am the next morning and the temp was about 75 in the garage when I started. I think I may have went "easier" on it than suggested and put a little more product on the applicator each time for the second coat. When I finished, I had a little less than 1/4 of a 50ml bottle left. It was really a toss up between using CQuartz UK and MOHS Evo. I read tons of threads here, spent hours watching videos. Probably spent way too much time worrying about what to do. @Destertnate comments about the applications of the two tipped me to Gyeon. Application was easy. Within a couple seconds of passing over with the applicator it was sweating. Once it was sweating there wasn't much difference between waiting 5 seconds, or 90, but if it stayed any longer it started grabbing. It was enough time to put down the applicator, and pick up the low nap towel to level. I worked 2x2ish sections in this fashion, then wiped the entire panel with a Gyeon soft wipe towel.

I was really happy with the whole process. After the first coat I had one high spot on the hood at a hard to reach spot that I think I missed on the initial wipe. A quick wipe with polish on a hand applicator, and clean up with prep took care of it. It has a nice, glassy appearance now that it's cured and the paint really pops in sunlight. If you can polish a car, apply an AIO, or sealant, you can apply a coating. Happy I took the plunge and did it. Hopefully with proper maintenance washes the new ride won't need much attention for a couple years.

I specifically want to thank The Guz for the informative posts/reviews on coatings, and Desternate for posting his thoughts on them from a consumer perspective. They were really helpful.

2. Thanks Prange thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Ceramic Coat

Looks great! The new Pilots/CRVs look great. How do you like it so far?

4. Thanks pilotpip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 392hemi View Post
    Looks great! The new Pilots/CRVs look great. How do you like it so far?
    300 miles in and we like it a lot. The tech and features are pretty on-par with the explorer limited we had previously. CarPlay/android auto is wireless so that's a nice touch. I really like the USB ports at every seat, and the cupholders in the door can hold a large insulated bottle. It's quiet on the highway and the new V6 and 10 speed (brought over from the MDX and slightly detuned) have good power. We drove an atlas and it didn't impress us. I can't justify going up to a Q7 and the MDX was out as soon as the wife saw the touch pad.

They're hard to find right now but fully expect to see them everywhere like the previous 3 generations soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks awesome! I dig the blackout makeover. If you don't mind me asking what was your first color choice?

Post Thanks / Like

Great job, congrats on new vehicle. Mohs is a beautiful coating to use and maintain, i think so atleast. Its the only paint coating ive been using for a while now.

The Blacked trim looks better on the front imo.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SNP209 View Post
    Looks awesome! I dig the blackout makeover. If you don't mind me asking what was your first color choice?
    My wife wanted Modern Steel Metallic. She "settled" for this one but as soon as she saw it she liked it better. The metal flake is subtle until the sun hits it.

9. Likes SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great work & result!
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

Looks GREAT! Yes, white doesn't reflect your skills as much as darker colors but i'm sure you saw that gloss in person.

Be proud, my friend!

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done. Glad you got the help needed to protect the paint with a good option in a coating. Enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great! Just coated my car as well with Mohs. Very easy to use.