autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

NEGLECTED Camaro interior - Before & After

The last year of my career, I was working 12 to 16 hour shifts (AND I lived an hour away, so in reality they were 14 -18 hour shifts). So my life was LITERALLY work, sleep, work again. Even my days off were not for rest and relaxation - they were for RECOVERY, so I didn't have much (if any) time to do things *I* wanted to do, like cleaning my Camaro.

Sure, I managed to keep the OUTSIDE looking decent, but the INTERIOR ...

I stored the car dirty in October when I retired, with a few mechanical issues that could wait until Spring. Since I didn't NEED the car for work transport anymore. So LAST MONTH, I had it towed to my shop. I got it back YESTERDAY (I won't say what I'm thinking about labor shortages causing supply-line issues, it would be censored on a XXX forum )

Now mechanically the car is 100%. VISUALLY, well, I'll let you see for yourself. It also spent all it's time outside, in the weather, next to a busy street (lots of dust + rained on & left to dry in the sun ). So the PAINT needs some serious love as well. Not the fault of the mechanic/owner of the shop, he runs a small (but busy and GOOD shop) and just doesn't have the indoor space.

I mentioned in the 'Off Topic' forum, that I started my own YouTube Channel, so yesterday, I posted a quick "Walk-around" video of the condition of my car's interior - worse than ANY horror movie you can imagine. Then I THOUGHT I was filming how I went about cleaning it, but due to technical difficulties (stupid camera operator - ME), it wasn't recording. So I ended up doing an "After" walk-around with the interior being about 85% - 90% done. The front seats still need shampooed, the rear seat trim cleaned, all the trim dressed and protected and the interior glass cleaned.

I will make THAT video in a few hours as well as compounding/polishing and waxing the exterior.

Here are the videos, take a look for yourself.

Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

2. Likes Mike Moore, PaulMys, Tasmania, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: NEGLECTED Camaro interior - Before & After

Nice Work!

What a difference!

4. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice. We as detailers are always obsessing over the outside of the vehicle. But the inside is where we spend the most time and see the most of.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

6. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Likes Don M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate doing interiors. I mean mine stays very clean since no one really gets in my truck plus I don't drive it that often. Quick dusting of the dash and console with a MF towel, done. But the wifeys Durango not so much. Got to deal with the kiddos (teens) and their crap and candy wrappers and starbucks cups. The wife always gets on my case when she finds that I only cleaned the outside but not the inside. LOL

8. Likes Don M, PaulMys, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    I hate doing interiors. I mean mine stays very clean since no one really gets in my truck plus I don't drive it that often. Quick dusting of the dash and console with a MF towel, done. But the wifeys Durango not so much. Got to deal with the kiddos (teens) and their crap and candy wrappers and starbucks cups. The wife always gets on my case when she finds that I only cleaned the outside but not the inside. LOL
    So do I, but it was so bad, I HAD to do SOMETHING.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Looks really good Don! Cleaning the car up is like cleaning the stress and exhaustion from your soul during the 12s/16s. I’ve been there. Your shoulders don’t need to bear that weight anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

11. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Likes Don M, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome stuff, Don!!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

13. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait to see the full review of the completed car!

Interior was well overdue for some love and came out looking fresh and clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tasmania View Post
    Can't wait to see the full review of the completed car!

Interior was well overdue for some love and came out looking fresh and clean.
    It is ALMOST done. I did the major cleaning of the interior Tuesday, and completed the rear seat area 100% yesterday. As well as a 2-step compounding of the hood, roof and trunk (TW One & Done on a maroon, Meguiar's cutting pad, speed 6, followed by One & Done on an orange, Lake Country LIGHT cutting pad). The sides were fine and just needed a light going over with the orange Lake Country pad + One & Done. And a coat of To The Max Wax applied to the whole car (that was about 3 pm, YESTERDAY - but I was too tired & sore to remove it, so I'll do that shortly it's 1 am here right now). The front 1/2 of the interior needs 303 Protectant applied and the door windows/windshield cleaned - then a quick follow up vacuum and it's done.

Then polish the door sills, remove the Max Wax and clean/dress the tires.

I PLAN (weather permitting) to do a full interior/exterior walk around today (Thursday) when the sun comes up.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

16. Likes Tasmania, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDGolden View Post
    Looks really good Don! Cleaning the car up is like cleaning the stress and exhaustion from your soul during the 12s/16s. I’ve been there. Your shoulders don’t need to bear that weight anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've been away from "That Place" for almost 9 months and Officially retired since December 9th, but it is STLL affecting my sleep - which is why I'm wide awake at 1 am, and getting ready to go out to the garage
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

18. Likes bill walsh liked this post