autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black

Here's what I used, not in this order:

Chems:

Reset by CarPro
    McKee's N-914
    Chem Guys Iron Remover
    Chem Guys Bug and Tar Remover
    Mother's Wheel Cleaner
    Wolfgang Clay Bar
    Chem Guys Clay Lube
    Gyeon Prep
    Wolfgang Uber Compound
    Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover
    Wolfgang Finishing Glaze
    Polish Angel Primer
    Polish Angel Cosmic v2 Glass Coat
    Polish Angel High Gloss
    NevR Dull
    Chem Guys Heavy Metal Polish
    3D Water Spot Gel
    Vinegar
    Wolfgang Pad Conditioner
    Wolfgang Pad Cleaner
    Leather Honey

Equipment tools and such:

Griot G8
    Boss 3" pads White, Orange, and Black
    Various MF (I did three loads of towels during the project)
    Little angled brush thingy for pads
    Buckets and Grid Guards
    Hog Blower Blow Dryer
    Some inspections lights, mirrors, and a magnifying glass
    A chest full of tools for disassembly and reassembly

First thing I did was get the rear end lifted, and to disassemble.

I removed the front fender, the front fairing, the gas tank console as well as the tank, the tour pack, the side covers, and the caps on the lower fairings, as well, i detached the lower fairings from the crash bar, but did not remove. The Milwaukee Eight HD engine, introduced in 2017, run warm on the top end. HDs solution was to incorporate dual cooling. The top end or the heads are cooled by a pressurized cooling system. They made it for service though, bless HD's hearts. It can be detached fully, and I was able to get full access to the fronts without disconnecting the coolant system. Otherwise I would have just left it attached and polished the bits I could get to.

First thing I went after were the wheels. To get the best access inside and out, I needed to get the rear lifted. Once again, thank you HD for including an easy and effective parking brake. I was not happy with the outcome on the wheels. They turned out way better, but after putting a bit of time and effort, I settled for better. They are aluminum, and went at them with NevrDull, Chem Guys Heavy Metal Cleaner, 3D water spot gel, vinegar cut with water, straight vinegar. The next step would have been 0000 Steel wool.

2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_3975-jpg2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_4169-jpg
    After the wheels were cleaned, I started on the undercarriage from front to back. All of the powder coated black surfaces got cleaned, decontaminated, hand polished with WG Finishing Glaze, prepped with Gyeon Prep, Coated in v2 Glass Coat and Topped in High Gloss. Chrome pipes got cleaned, polished, and buffed.

2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_3990-jpg2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_4190-jpg

One of his biggest concerns was his tank. He'd marred it pretty severely and I told him, I probably won't be able to make some of that go away, but it will be a huge difference. In areas like this, rather than dig in and do my routine patters with TSR and FG, I use WG's Uber Compound with a white pad, and do small sections only until the compound starts to turn clear. TSW does a great job on small scratches and general swirling, but Uber gets me just a bit deeper when I need it. First pic is after clay barring. Second after correction. Third, coated, sealed and reassembled.

2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_4093-jpg2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_4100-jpg2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_4117-jpg

Here are more before pics. Every piece was cleaned on a bench top bottom and underside. Decontaminated and clay barred. Each piece got a quick look, and if needed, a spot correction with WG's Uber. Every part got TSW, two perpendicular passes at about 1/2" per second. and the same with WG's FG. They then got a quick wipe down with Gyeon Prep. Using a black finishing pad, I first hand applied primer, then attached to the wheel and quickly wheeled over the entire surface. Wiped it off, but no more prep. The coating goes right on the primer. Again, I hand applied over the entire surface, than wheeled it on. Waited about an hour and buffed off the excess. After two hours, each piece got a second coat of glass. After the second coat was applied, I waited one hour, buffed off the excess than applied two coats of High Gloss. After curing overnight, I put a pair of MF white gloves on and reassembled the bike. Before putting side panels, and the fairing cover on, the side utility areas, the inside of the upper fairing, and the upper battery compartment under the seat got detailed by my most awesome wife. She spent about an hour on those for me with a damp rag, a cup of solution, and quiver of qtips.

2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_3930-jpg2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_3957-jpg2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_3965-jpg2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_3977-jpg

Some more after pics:

2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_4128-jpg2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_4136-jpg2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_4140-jpg2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_4143-jpg2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_4147-jpg2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_4151-jpg2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_4153-jpg2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_4157-jpg2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_4160-jpg2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_4171-jpg2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_4175-jpg2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_4179-jpg2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_4182-jpg

I also took a few minutes and vacuumed his trunk and tour pack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black-img_4177-jpg  

2. Likes opie, noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 Harley Davidson Trike in Vivid Black

Looks Great!

How many hours? I'd have to guess 40+.

I know that when I do what I consider a very thorough job on mine, I spend around 25 hours, and I don't do as much disassembly, nor do I give so much attention to the frame and undercarriage. My frame and undercarriage do get cleaned, but that's it. No polishing or coating or anything like that.

And for products used, my list is probably less than half of yours.

You're Nuts! In a good way.

4. Thanks Lance Mark thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Time estimate

Disassembly, 4 hrs
    Wheels 2 hours
    Cleaning Chassis and undercarriage - 4 hrs
    Taping - 2 hours
    cleaning, correcting - 6 hrs
    reassembly 2 hrs
    Priming, Coating, Topping, 12 hours
    Taking pictures and peacocking around the garage while looking at this drippy bike - 2 hrs

pretty fair estimate....about 30-32 hrs on this one

6. Likes Bosko liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

NICE
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Thanks Lance Mark thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

nice
    but way to much work for me
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

10. Thanks Lance Mark thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's back in black now! Well done!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

12. Thanks Lance Mark thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    It's back in black now! Well done!
    I've got a beautiful red 2021 Street glide coming next Saturday. I'm looking forward to working with a nice bright color.

Post Thanks / Like

I have found H-D Vivid Black to be a very soft finicky paint.

Nice job!

I personally would not do the deep disassembly you did. (for many reasons)
    On a two wheel bike I pull the saddlebags, windshield (if removable) and the seat.

15. Thanks Lance Mark thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

wg's abrasive technology has been kind to me, they finish really nice, even if I go with the hard hitter Uber and a white pad it clears up and finishes out really nice

i'll tell ya, black was a bit frustrating in this regard, I blew that thing off at least 4 times before he got there, every speck of dust is so obvious

I told him, i just got it cleaned off so enjoy it because it's black and it will look this perfect for about 20 minutes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Moore View Post
    I have found H-D Vivid Black to be a very soft finicky paint.
    That changed somewhere in the mid 2010s. I'd guess it was with the Rushmore introduction in 2014.

My 2011 was a nightmare for swirls (super soft paint) but my 2017 was much harder and so is my current 2019.