autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

1960 Impala #7 soak

Well, after reading and reading and reading and listening to those with more knowledge than me here is a progress report. I've learned a ton from you guys in a very short time.

After digging her out
    Pressure washer blasting 45 years of accumulation off
    Washing what remained
    SOS pad washed

Then found this site and read articles on single stage paint

Now
    Good soapy wash
    Clay bar treatment
    #7 soak

Currently getting ready for a second round of soaking. Boy she sure soaked that up and I can't believe how rich she looks. Some of the scratches and imperfections already look so much better.

My plan is to hit it with some #26 before she goes away for the winter. Before that should I give it a shot with some Scratchx or Ultimate for whats remaining or just stick with #7, #26 and call it good?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1960 Impala #7 soak-img_2666-min-jpg   1960 Impala #7 soak-img_2735-min-jpg   1960 Impala #7 soak-img_2780-min-jpg   1960 Impala #7 soak-img_2783-min-jpg  

2. Likes dgage, Big Dave, Bosko, T-STeve, waddell64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1960 Impala #7 soak

What a difference.

VERY cool car.........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good so far!

When you say, "go away for the winter", will it be in a garage or outside? If it's going to be stored indoors there's really no need for the #26.

Additionally, before you jump in and apply the #26 to the entire car, I'd try a small spot first. Many times, on old paint such as this, applying a wax will make it look worse. The old paint is very porous, as evidenced by the way it sucked up the #7. When you apply a wax, rather than sitting "on" the paint like it is designed to do, it will absorb into the porous paint and as the wax dries it will turn the surface cloudy or chalky looking.

As far as polishing goes with the ScratchX or Ultimate (or whatever polish you use), it will probably improve the finish somewhat, but again, doing a small test spot before just going wild on the whole car is prudent.

Whenever you are working on something like this, some experimentation is usually required, and the experiments you perform should be tried and validated (on small test spots) before proceeding.

5. Likes tuscarora dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

What a turn around!

May i ask what a #7 soak is?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    What a turn around!

Meguiar's #7 show car glaze

9. Likes noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see you resurrecting the old girl…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    What a turn around!

I had no idea myself what it was until I found this forum. Its a process for old single stage paints. You use Meguiar's #7 mirror glaze and you put it on heavy/wet. Then instead of waiting a couple of minutes to remove, you leave it soak in for hours. In my case I left my first coat on for around 18 hours and the second coat on for about 22. The product was invented in the early 1900's and has oils in it designed for older paints and it actually soaks into the paint. Really brings it back to life. Some will say that it is really hard to remove when you leave it on that long but I had no real issues. But, maybe its me and really liking to rub and getting to study my cars surfaces.

My car was sitting in the harsh Minnesota woods since 1977. She isn't perfect paint but is night and day better than what it was.

12. Likes noorth liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Looks good so far!

When you say, "go away for the winter", will it be in a garage or outside? If it's going to be stored indoors there's really no need for the #26.

Additionally, before you jump in and apply the #26 to the entire car, I'd try a small spot first. Many times, on old paint such as this, applying a wax will make it look worse. The old paint is very porous, as evidenced by the way it sucked up the #7. When you apply a wax, rather than sitting "on" the paint like it is designed to do, it will absorb into the porous paint and as the wax dries it will turn the surface cloudy or chalky looking.

As far as polishing goes with the ScratchX or Ultimate (or whatever polish you use), it will probably improve the finish somewhat, but again, doing a small test spot before just going wild on the whole car is prudent.

Whenever you are working on something like this, some experimentation is usually required, and the experiments you perform should be tried and validated (on small test spots) before proceeding.

Unfortunately it will have to sit outside one more winter. With me bringing 4 of my wife's family cars home I only have room for 3 of them in the shed along with my truck. I need to find an engine for the Impala where the other 3 are complete. That's why I want to get some protection on her. Not sure what I'll do as far as covering. Tarp, standup temp garage, not sure.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootr View Post
    I had no idea myself what it was until I found this forum. Its a process for old single stage paints. You use Meguiar's #7 mirror glaze and you put it on heavy/wet. Then instead of waiting a couple of minutes to remove, you leave it soak in for hours. In my case I left my first coat on for around 18 hours and the second coat on for about 22. The product was invented in the early 1900's and has oils in it designed for older paints and it actually soaks into the paint. Really brings it back to life. Some will say that it is really hard to remove when you leave it on that long but I had no real issues. But, maybe its me and really liking to rub and getting to study my cars surfaces.

My car was sitting in the harsh Minnesota woods since 1977. She isn't perfect paint but is night and day better than what it was.
    Very nice turn around. Gotta love forums! Thanks Autogeek!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast