autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer Review

Meguiar’s were, and still are, slow to the “ceramic” market. In fact, the brand took until 2018/2019 to introduce Si02 infused “ceramic” products to the range in the form of Hybrid Ceramic Wax (spray and liquid forms) and Hybrid Ceramic Detailer. More recently, Ultra Ceramic Coating joined the range, basically a Carpro Reload competitor. Earlier this year, Meguiar’s launched a true ceramic coating, however M888 is a pro coating that is virtually unknown and has yet to land in Australia………………..I doubt it ever will.

But it’s the Hybrid Ceramic Detailer that I want to highlight. From the outset, despite what the name would imply, this is NOT a ceramic coating, it’s a quick detailer with Si02 added to deliver additional gloss, slickness and water beading properties.

Meguiar’s market this product as having cleaning ability, saying that it can “remove light contaminants and dust to maintain that and just washed and appearance”. To me, that sounds like a recipe for micro marring. No, Hybrid Ceramic Detailer is best used as a drying aid or topper to maintain existing protection, be that a wax, sealant or ceramic coating. Having said that, HCD on its own can provide some decent short-term protection and water beading.

There is no shortage of “ceramic” quick detailers on the market, but the user experience can vary widely between the brands and the individual product itself. For example, Gyeon Ceramic Detailer can be hit and miss for me, sometimes it goes on clean, other times it turns streaky and is a bugger to work with. Carpro EliXir is brilliant on Carpro ceramic coatings but can be a diva on other LSP’s.

What sets Meguiar’s Hybrid Ceramic Detailer apart from the competition is the extreme ease of use. Wet surface, dry surface, hot, humid, cold, apply it heavily, apply it sparingly …………………it doesn’t seem to matter with HCD, the end result is the same.

I typically use Hybrid Ceramic Detailer as a drying aid to top existing Gyeon coatings. To apply, I add a few sprays per panel and work it in with a medium TRC Gauntlet and a small TRC Platinum Pluffle. The initial wipes spread the product, the secondary towel clears up any that hasn’t flashed away. The finished result is a glossy and slick finish that is so stupidly easy to achieve.

There are only two things I would mark HCD down for. While this subjective, I just wish it didn’t smell like a quick detailer from 1998. The second being the price. At full retail, a 769ml bottle of Hybrid Ceramic Detailer sells for between $46.99 to $51.99. A 1000ml bottle of Carpro EliXir is $39.95, 1000ml of Gyeon Quick Detailer (which has wax in it) costs $32.99. At $46.99, HCD is not excessively expensive, but the fact Meguiar’s is almost always on sale at least one of the big box retailers, I would say shop around. At the time of writing, Supercheap have it on sale for $38.99. I would dare say that if Meguiar's set the price at lower permanent price, they would probably sell a lot more of it.

(NOTE: The above prices are in AUD, the price comments don't apply to those in the USA as it's far cheaper and much more competitive than in Australia.)

While it won’t outshine or out-gloss something like Bead Maker, nor will it deliver outstanding longevity like a spray sealant, but it’s far easier to work with and doesn’t need excessive towel work to deliver a clear finish. Overall, Meguiar’s Hybrid Ceramic Detailer is a product that doesn’t seem to get much love, which is a same as it’s truly an excellent product.

2. Thanks Klasse Act, SNP209, CleanIT, PA DETAILER, Silly Rabbit and 1 others thanked for this post
    Likes Big Dave, SNP209, CleanIT, chilly, Silly Rabbit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer Review

Bugger, I posted this in the wrong sub-forum!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it would make a great drying aid.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

5. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most all the car parts stores up here carry it for between $19-21 on any given day, and sometimes on special as indicated

I even have access to it at Lowes Home Improvement stores in the area

As much as I love Megs HCW I have never tried the HCD but I had been planning on it and this just pushed me over the edge

DFB, you sir, are an enabler...

7. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In the winter months here in the Midwest, select Meguiar's products at Walmart get marked down to insane prices. Just this past February, they had HCD on the shelves for $9.50! Needless to say I picked up an extra bottle.

Its a solid product. Its not game changing and its not going to completely knock your socks off but it'll be dependable and enjoyable to use.

9. Thanks Prange thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in the states all you need to maintain a coating can now be bought locally. Hyper wash for the shampoo and HCD as the topper. Easy peasy.

It's a shame that Meguiar's discontinued their hybrid paint coating in the aerosol can as that was once available locally as well. Hopefully HCD is here to stay.

11. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Harbor Freight carries Hyper Wash

13. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    Most all the car parts stores up here carry it for between $19-21 on any given day, and sometimes on special as indicated

I even have access to it at Lowes Home Improvement stores in the area

As much as I love Megs HCW I have never tried the HCD but I had been planning on it and this just pushed me over the edge

DFB, you sir, are an enabler...

Wasn’t a fan HCW myself (was solid but like other things better). HCD was a home run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Thanks Prange thanked for this post
    Likes DFB, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Wasn’t a fan HCW myself (was solid but like other things better). HCD was a home run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think Hybrid Ceramic Wax was put in the too hard basket by many in terms of the application method. I remember reading it briefly and thinking stuff that. I can't be the only one who did the same.

17. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    I think Hybrid Ceramic Wax was put in the too hard basket by many in terms of the application method. I remember reading it briefly and thinking stuff that. I can't be the only one who did the same.
    It seemed that everyone, including Meguiar's, kind of glossed over the initial application and focused on the spray and rinse aspect, and then MAYBE mentioned the foundation layer if you held their feet to the fire

People were blowing through a full bottle on ONE CAR, trying to get a good sprayed on coat to then rinse off, without paying attention to the most important instruction, that came last and was incomplete if you ask me

The only time I ever use it as a "wet coat" type product is on wheels that already have a base coat of it rubbed in and then buffed off, and even then, I dilute it 2:1 with distilled water and just spritz it on cleaned wheels and then rinse them off and it works very nicely

I can wipe it on an entire car and barely put a dent in a bottle and then just keep using drying aids and get some respectable life out of it and when it is done, just use another $1 worth of product and do it all over again

Not everyones cup of meat but there you go...

19. Likes DFB liked this post