autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thread: DFB's Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DFB's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post

Hooty-McBoob withdrew $100 in $5 notes.
    Someone must be off to the strip club, with $5 being our smallest note, that's the accepted legal tender for strippers now, trying to use $1 and $2 coins might get you kicked out.

Sweet compressor by the way, I belong to House Ryobi, so I guess I'm stuck with whatever they sell.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

2. Likes Tasmania, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I was all about the m18 with it being the quickest to fill. Went with Dewalt due to it being able to hook up to cigarette lighter adapter to be used if car dies.

If it lived in my garage it woulda been the Milwaukee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Someone must be off to the strip club, with $5 being our smallest note, that's the accepted legal tender for strippers now, trying to use $1 and $2 coins might get you kicked out.

Hmmm, you seem well versed in that arena.

5. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanaDetailingPros View Post
    Just bought same cart! Mine is still in box. Was it difficult to put together??
    Not really all that hard, just tedious with the number of fiddly nuts and bolts.

7. Thanks DanaDetailingPros thanked for this post
    Likes DanaDetailingPros liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Holiday Project 3 – Ranger Wheel Coating and Fitment

I feel like this project has simmering for ages now, so it’s great to finally get stuck into the final pieces of the puzzle.

To recap, these wheels were bought second hand and have since been decontaminated, polished and touched up where required. I sourced the missing center cap along with 24 new solid lug nuts. The tyres were then fitted, directly followed by de-nibbing and a clean with Tarminator to remove any manufacturing oils and fitment soap.

They wheels have sat waiting for the ceramic coating to arrive and after two impromptu full details, I have finally found some time to get this job sorted.

Ceramic Coating –

Having been impressed with the Armour Detail Supply Wheel Coating that I applied to the XR6 last year, the choice of coating for the Ranger was simple. This coating offers the ideal blend of durability with the slickness and water behavior missing from most wheel coatings.

The wheels have sat in the garage since the tyres were fitted. The first step was to give them a quick once over with Carpro Eraser, followed by a final wipe down with Rupes Reveal Strong.

For the coating, I prefer to start with the wheel face first, followed by the barrels. You are more likely to have residual product transferring from the wheel face to the barrel, so doing the barrels last prevents that becoming a high spot. Having said that, a high spot on a dull wheel barrel is very unlikely to ever be seen.

Application is simple, prime the supplied microfiber applicator with three lines of product, then a single line thereafter. Work the coating across the wheel face or barrel, making sure to get even coverage. This coating is a "sweater", which will start to appear after about 2 - 3 minutes and is your cue to start leveling with the first towel. You then follow with a secondary towel to ensure the removal any lingering residue. The initial wipes will be quite grabby, which is due to the high solids content of this coating, but the secondary wipe will transform to a slick finish. I have also found that the coating becomes slicker after a few hours.

With how this coating hardens, you really need two applicators between four wheels, especially if you are dealing with larger wheels than these tiny 16's.

Once the wheels had been coated, it was then time for fitment.

Wheel Fitment and Wheel Arch Cleaning –

Starting at the front left, I removed the two-piece lugs and the old steel wheel.

Completely unnecessary on a car like this, but I decided to give the front arches some attention. In this case, Green Star APC, a bucket of ONR at 256:1 and a selection of brushes. I actually thought the calipers would have been worse considering they have NEVER been cleaned, but they cleaned up brilliantly with some NV Purge. I then flushed everything with ONR and water.

The new wheels were then offered up and lightly secured with the new solid lug nuts. The old chrome jacket items were starting to show some wear and with their high failure rate, replacement seemed like cheap insurance. Torque figure on Ranger lugs is 135 Nm. (I love that Wera torque wrench by the way!)

Save for wiping the face of the drum barrel, the rear arches were not cleaned.

Final step, and my favorite, the application of a tyre dressing. Today, I decided on OG Tire Dressing with the assistance of a large boars hair brush. For some reason, commercial tyres seem to amplify a dressing, so I actually knocked them back with a towel after 20 min.

A quick look at the old tyres after removal justified my choice to buy some new ones.................

With just on 39,000 km (24,000 miles) on the clock since new, while they still have tread, those tyres are now 8 years old and don't look crash hot. With the coating needing to cure for 12-hours before being driven, I'm still to see how the new tyres perform. I will say though, I can't fault the OE fit Dunlop's, they have done their job as a daily driver, hauling tools and garden supplies, taken me across the country...............and played along as I indulged in some wet weather car control practice.

Finished Result -

Having had this car for nearly 8 years now, seeing it without those 16-inch steelies is strange................

And with that, my Povo Ute just got a little less povo!

9. Likes Big Dave, bill walsh, Dirty Harry, Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks good Deyon, that old rubber was certainly showing its age, the rubber looks super hard. As well as having more grip, those new tyres should be quieter, you'll probably be complaining about wind noise now.

11. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Holiday Project 3 – Ranger Wheel Coating and Fitment
    I then flushed everything with ONR and water.
    Flushed with ONR and water? Is that a rinseless wash, ONR in a bottle, or using ONR to soften the water in a hose/PW?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vaced View Post
    Flushed with ONR and water? Is that a rinseless wash, ONR in a bottle, or using ONR to soften the water in a hose/PW?
    Yeah, that sounded confusing.

I had a bucket of ONR mixed up that I used to wash the car before installing the new wheels. I added that to a sprayer and the rest into a wheel bucket, scrubbed, flushed with ONR and then ended up rinsing with water. Go figure, I was rolling with what I had out.

14. Thanks vaced thanked for this post
    Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This image is telling, it means I actually got to drive them. The Mustang got out and made some noise yesterday afternoon, the XR8 was today's joy ride. It's been too long since I drove these, I've been so busy with work and other projects that I just didn't have the energy or will to get them out. The temps over the last two days have been in the mid 20's, perfect weather for me and the XR8, I forget how bloody effortlessly fast that car is.................

And a Ute doing Ute things.........................although it needed a jump start after a lot of stop-start-stop moving around yesterday and today. The battery is the original from 2016, so it's on it's last legs.

Initial impression on those new tyres? While I have kept the original 215/70 R16 sizing, they are fitted to wider 7.0-inch rather than 6.5-inch wheels. It's still a firm riding commercial vehicle, but it seems to have a more planted feel, less road noise and slightly cushier feel to it. Looking forward to getting some extra miles on them and see how they settle.

16. Likes Big Dave, Klasse Act, Azure, Dirty Harry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Once again THIS proves the point...RIMS should be your first mod to a vehicle as they change the looks dramatically DFB's Garage

Although a work vehicle just look at the difference hereDFB's Garage

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

18. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes Big Dave, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 125 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2575115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135 ... LastLast