autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 97 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4787888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107 ... LastLast

Thread: DFB's Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DFB's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Nv Boost v2 is slicker than Lustre DFB's GarageDFB's Garage

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    It's been a while since I have used Lustre, but I would say it's slicker than Boost v2.

What draws me to Boost v2 is the easier application, while sharing some of the formular with Jet.

This is not to be confused with the original version of Boost, which was designed to be removed with a soap wash, in theory taking contaminants with it. I still use this as a topper on my Mustang's wheels.

2. Thanks Prange thanked for this post
    Likes Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    It's been a while since I have used Lustre, but I would say it's slicker than Boost v2.

What draws me to Boost v2 is the easier application, while sharing some of the formular with Jet.

This is not to be confused with the original version of Boost, which was designed to be removed with a soap wash, in theory taking contaminants with it. I still use this as a topper on my Mustang's wheels.
    I will get Nv Boost v2 on my next order around, thanks Deyon!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

4. Thanks Prange thanked for this post
    Likes DFB, Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nv Boost V2 is awesome. I was looking for gloss and it certainly delivered. It has been compared to one coat of “Gloss”.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app

6. Likes Prange, Klasse Act, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    You need to try NV Boost v2 now!

Agreed, which is what I have done with the Cure EVO on the Jag.
    Can’t believe you haven’t pulled the trigger on some PA Cosmic Spritz. On another level in performance and user experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes opie, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Can’t believe you haven’t pulled the trigger on some PA Cosmic Spritz. On another level in performance and user experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't encourage me!

10. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After a cold snap, spring has been slow to take off, so I got an unexpected day off today. NOT complaining about that, the past week has been rough.

Despite not having been washed for a while now, sitting at the dealer for 4 weeks undriven meant I didn't have much to do on the Wildtrak today.

Having enjoyed using Opti-Coat M-Wash last week, I went straight back to it for today.

For the drying aid, I grabbed Shine Supply Punch It for a change. I really like using this product, it's very easy and forgiving to play with. The colour and scent are a little overwhelming, but otherwise, this is a bit of a hidden gem. I'm also using these Creature Edgeless towels more and more for this role. For me, there is no need to be using a bigger and bulkier towel. I really tried to love the small FTW's, but in general I don't love edged or twist loop towels. The Creature's are easier to manage and smoother across the paint.

Again, the interior didn't need much, so I decided to put some attention towards the steering wheel. This being my Dad's car, as a smoker, the wheel is always pretty nasty. Even ColourLock Strong had its work cut out here. Afterwards, I hit it with some Giest Leather Conditioner and called it good, knowing full well that it will be back to shiny/sticky in no time. :doh

I found the Griot's Fine Leather scent to last quite well over the last week in my own Ranger, so it got the nod again today as well.

Tires dressed with Opti-Coat Tire Gel. This is a high gloss product, so be warned. You can knock it back a little, but it's natural state is a wetter/glossier appearance.

Back to spec...........

I also gave the engine bay a quick rinse down and applied some Motorplast during the wash stage. I leveled down the Motorplast with a towel after letting the engine run for 5 minutes to speed up the drying process.

I needed this. I'm struggling more than normal, mostly from dealing with Dad's illness in less-than-ideal ways. My support network is pretty thin, so I'm holding it in and then exploding...........as I always have. Dealing with stress has never been a strong suit of mine, and I typically take it out on others. I of course know that is not healthy for myself or those around me and there are no excuses for that. We all deal with things differently, some better than others, and I guess that's simply human nature.

Everyone has a natural, ingrained character trait that is often very difficult to change. Sometimes, that is good, sometimes that is bad. You can't change a naturally quiet, reserved person into an outgoing life of the party. My default mode is to regress, shut down and want to hide. This tends to rub people the wrong way. If you know someone like this, it's not you! That person probably needs to talk, probably needs someone to ask them how they are going, help them vent.

Something I have observed over a number of years dealing with depression is that despite there being a lot of "noise" about mental health in the media and from relevant "experts", no one really wants to talk about it. All the flow charts and special phone numbers to call in the world is simply just passing the buck, dusting hands of a problem that no one wants to have on their books. I'm not blaming anyone with this last paragraph, just an observation that this is STILL a taboo subject.

Post Thanks / Like

These things can be difficult to deal with, but you need to look after yourself as well, do what works for you, some therapeutic detailing, as you have been, or going for a long drive, or walking your dog, always with some Kylie playing in the background.

I've never had depression, that I know of, but I have had a bit of anxiety from time to time, although people say I seem so calm. I came home from work one day, many years ago, for my grandmother to tell us she had terminal cancer. She'd been diagnosed 2 years before but didn't tell anyone, she wanted to go without anyone knowing about it. It was a rough period, and sort of broke our extended family a little bit. Some don't understand that our grieving started the day she told us, but theirs didn't start till she passed.

I've worked with several people who were getting treatment for cancer, all of them said "don't treat me any differently", they still wanted people to joke around and talk to them, include them in things, don't give them the silent treatment. While I don't know your particular situation, I'd say treat your dad as normally as you can, but explain what you're feeling, if he's open to those conversations of course.

And take my advice on conversations with your father with a grain of salt, I've never met mine, or had a conversation with him, never will. I didn't know who he was till I was in my 30s, and then I was told he had died, but found out in my 40s he was still alive, but had no idea where he was. I found out where he was with the help of my half brother, on my mother's side, a few years later, but he died a couple of years ago before I could contact him. Not sure I wanted to, my Mum didn't seem to want me to, and he never tried, so I'm not that bothered by it. But I'm pretty certain I have some other half siblings out there though. Families can be complicated.

Also, steering wheels can be bad, my Mum likes to apply hand moisturizer before she goes out, so the steering wheel in the Qashqai can get pretty bad.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

13. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite, Dirty Harry, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

These newer Brigg's & Stratton OHV engines are still pretty new to me, so it's taking me a while to figure out the ins-and-outs.

The key with these engines that replaced the old L-Head/Side valve engines is that they are supposed to run cooler and use less fuel. The fuel use in standard form is in easily better than before, and they seem quieter as well. But they don't rev high enough for my liking. Now, this is in no way restricted to Briggs & Stratton, or even the newer OHV engines.

After running it for a while, I couldn't stand it any longer................

Briggs were cunning in how they hid the governor spring tab on these engines compared to the older designs. But I found it and gave it a little tweak, it's now running nice and strong................

Now, do this at your own risk, preferably once the engine has been run in and had the oil changed. The low running revs of these engines in standard form is designed to meet noise and emission standards, not cutting performance. I probably went a touch too far, but I can easily dial that back. The key thing is that it's cutting much nicer now, powering through rather than bogging down under load.

If you want to do this on your newer B&S 125cc, 140cc, 150cc and 163cc engine, this shows how to do it. You don't need to remove the fuel tank as shown, that was to better show the parts in question -

15. Likes Big Dave, Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At least if something goes wrong it won't break the bank fixing it, but I'm sure you'll be checking the oil on that one very regularly.

I saw a story the other day about a guy with a BT-50 that was still under warranty, he fitted a throttle controller and then some time later the engine blew up. The throttle controller manufacturer says it has nothing to do with them or their product, and Mazda has rejected his warranty claim as the throttle controller fitment voids the warranty. Apparently it's almost $20k for a net engine. I know a few guys who have them, but they're all older vehicles.

17. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    At least if something goes wrong it won't break the bank fixing it, but I'm sure you'll be checking the oil on that one very regularly.

I saw a story the other day about a guy with a BT-50 that was still under warranty, he fitted a throttle controller and then some time later the engine blew up. The throttle controller manufacturer says it has nothing to do with them or their product, and Mazda has rejected his warranty claim as the throttle controller fitment voids the warranty. Apparently it's almost $20k for a net engine. I know a few guys who have them, but they're all older vehicles.

I'm happy enough to play backyard tuner on something like a lawnmower or leaf blower. The rev increase on that engine was only about 500 rpm, and certainly not as hard running as some of the contractors going around, their Honda GXV's sounding like they are going to take flight! In any case, if it blows up, it means I get buy another one!

On a car, I'm not that confident, be that me or someone else doing the work. Just too complex and too expensive to fix if it goes wrong. Nothing against tuning for more grunt, if done from a reputable company. More so the older gentlemen who thing they know better than a team of fully qualified powertrain engineers.

One scenario that comes to mind, a member on another forum was swearing black and blue that Ranger's needed an aftermarket upgraded automatic transmission cooler. A Ford engineer who worked on developing the vehicle chimed in to explain that the gearbox was designed to work in a set temperature range and that the OEM cooler was intended to maintain those temps, tested in abusive scenarios to ensure it worked as intended. But no, old mate wouldn't back down, he knew best after driving cargo trucks for living. Apple with apples comparison then?

Page 97 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4787888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107 ... LastLast