autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 141 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4191131132133134135136137138139140141142 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1419

Thread: DFB's Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DFB's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Oooh, you're gonna like them. Knipex makes really good stuff, I recommend it to techs here all the time. Knipex are the sidecutters I use on my snap-on sidecutters when I want to get them warrantied. (but seriously though - 250mm straight side cutters will clip the tip off the snap on one with nary a nick on the Knipex).

Knipex Link I've had a pair of these since I started wrenching in 01. Would recommend.

Also highly recommend the Cobra or Alligator pliers (depending on your preference for a locking slide mechanism or a free sliding) if you do much Adjustable Pliers work. The teeth are cut like that of pipe wrenches so they dig in to what you're reefing on - I've had frozen tie rods where you squeeze both handles until the teeth dig in, then you could just push on the back of it they bit so hard.

And last one is just a PSA for anyone that does any kind of mechanical work - get yourself a flush cutter (I think I have this one at the moment - Knipex Link ) for trimming zip ties perfectly flush - no more sharpened tips to render blood (Personal pet peeve as a mechanic).
    They aren’t easy to find but flat cut toenail clippers are great for tie wraps as well

I use them on bicycles all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    Did you buy the Comfort Grips cause you like them or you thought it was a upgrade since it said comfort

I hated my Comfort Grips....eventually sold most of them (still have a few floating) and all my Knipex is just regular dipped.
    They are way too bulky and are not ergonomic at all. YMMV though
    Well, blue and red are my colors, so it was a natural choice really. Yes, I'm that shallow.

3. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fashion vs Function eh....

I don't wanna talk you out of them but if you have the opportunity to order like item in regular handle and compare and contrast, you might find the latter finitely far superior is use.
    I did say it's subjective but the Comfort handles are nothing close to comfort...Just trying to save you from some Buyers remorse

Post Thanks / Like

Fashion vs Function eh....

I don't wanna talk you out of them but if you have the opportunity to order like item in regular handle and compare and contrast, you might find the latter finitely far superior is use.
    I did say it's subjective but the Comfort handles are nothing close to comfort...Just trying to save you from some Buyers remorse
    Maybe they’ll be comfortable for his hands? Tools not gonna fit every hand the same…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes DanaDetailingPros liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wildtrak Seat Trim Replacement

Some time ago, the drivers side seat base trim valance on the Wildtrak broke. From memory, the XLT that this car replaced also did the same, so I’m pretty sure this is a common failure part.

From what I can tell, the way the trim is shaped and attached to the seat has it subjected to substantial pressure as the driver enters and exits the vehicle. Repeated cycles of compression and release sees the plastic fatiguing over time, which then leads to it cracking.

Could I have made a warranty claim on this failure? Perhaps, but unlikely. Apart from the fact that its just outside of warranty now, Ford would likely claim it as wear and tear, which is fair enough. As such, I decided to order the part from Bayford and do the job myself.

There are a few different versions of this part, all dependent on trim and model spec, and of course driver or passenger orientation. For example, the same part in my Ranger would not have cut-outs for power seat adjustment but would have a mechanical backrest lever. There are also two versions for the 8-way powered Wildtrak, with or without seat heating. This particular Wildtrak is not equipped with seat heaters. At this point, I would list the part number and provide the link, but more on that in later.

First, I removed the two electric seat adjustment levers with my fancy skin wedge tool. There is also a singular Phillips head screw on the rear of the seat. The trim is then "massaged" from the locator tabs.

Next, remove the two screws holding the switch module to the trim, you then need to release it from the tabs.

For the new trim, refit the switch module, then wrangle the trim into place to align and then snap into the three locator tabs, replace the rear screw. The adjuster levers then snap back into place. But........................

Despite being a professional online shopper, for some reason I bought the wrong part. I think the new one is for an XLT and not the Wildtrak with its black rather than grey plastics. I've tried searching the part number for the old piece, but I can only find the grey version.

Does it matter? To me it does, to my father, not at all. I might try and track down the correct part, but I guess its not critical concern. I'm just chuffed I managed to do this myself.

Whilst I had the car, I also gave it the monthly wash. This was my second use of the XL version of the Detail Factory tyre brush.

While the XL version doesn't have the same joyous flex to the bristles when compared to the original, it's still a very nice user experience and makes short work of these large tyres.

The pre-wash on this car was Bilt Hamber Touchless, used neat in the foam cannon. My earliest attempts using this soap were unsuccessful due to the flow of my Kranzle KHD-10 diluting it too much. So, I use it straight/un-diluted in the foam cannon canister.

Following the pre-wash, which removed all of the bugs and general road grime, I decided to use Koch Chemie Nano-Magic Shampoo, basically a fancy wash-n-wax. Normally, a soap like this would not have enough cleaning ability to deal with this car, but because of what Touchless can do, I decided to give it a try.

Nano-Magic was not designed for foam cannons, it really doesn't foam, but I did anyway to at least get it onto the paint like I normally would. It's also strangely lacking in lubrication compared to a pure soap.

The car was then dried with the excellent Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer, tyres dressed with 1:1 Perl, the interior wiped down with Griot's Interior Cleaner, leather given a once over with ONR.

I also got the XR6 out for a drive, taking the loooong way to the Big-Green-Shed. This gave me a chance to really lean on those new brakes, which now gives me confidence to drive the car hard. That same low speed smoothness that I was impressed with initially translates to performance driving as well. I did get them to fad a little bit in the end, but they don't start shuddering after two heavy applications like the stock setup would. The Project MU pads do produce more dust than the OE Ford pads, but not terrible like Brembo pads do. I'd still love to put Brembo's on this car, but overall, I'm happy with how the changes have translated.

8. Likes Big Dave, Azure, Dirty Harry, Tasmania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My second set of Knipex arrived today, this time the 38 25 200 -

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product...PA596KAMD&th=1

10. Likes Big Dave, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was the replacement trim a good color match . Here's hoping for us car n3rds who have a eye for these sorta things, it was.

I've replaced sill rockers that crack and I've never had any good in all my years with them.....the color is never the -exact same- like the original with the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Wildtrak Seat Trim Replacement

Some time ago, the drivers side seat base trim valance on the Wildtrak broke. From memory, the XLT that this car replaced also did the same, so I’m pretty sure this is a common failure part.
    My 06 GMC Envoy had a seat sidepanel with controls similar to this that failed. I decided not to bother replacing (or even fixing) the controls and panel. In my case, it was the actual seat wear that caused the failure. The seat bottom bolters lost their "bolster" and this caused weight from the driver to stress the panel. I'd need new seats (or a reupholster) along with the control and panel repairs to successfully fix the problem. That was waaayyyy more $$$ than repairing the broken controls. This was upsetting to me since there was a super high number of these vehicles manufactured and that usually makes the repair costs a bit lower.

Your butt bolsters still look robust lol, so your repairs should last.

13. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was the replacement trim a good color match . Here's hoping for us car n3rds who have a eye for these sorta things, it was.

I've replaced sill rockers that crack and I've never had any good in all my years with them.....the color is never the -exact same- like the original with the car.
    The color match is way off, the switch colour should match the valance. It bothers me, but not Dad.

I have since reached out to my local Ford dealer and they have come back with the correct part..............I think, none of the part numbers match up. These are only $47 parts, so I'll order one and have it replaced again.

Post Thanks / Like

My new Rupes turned up today!

The first thing you notice is how light the unit is, with or without the battery. It's also butter smooth, lacking the clattery wind down of my ShineMate's.

More detail here -
    New Rupes HLR Battery Polishers

16. Likes Big Dave, Azure, Dirty Harry liked this post
Page 141 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4191131132133134135136137138139140141142 LastLast