autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thread: DFB's Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DFB's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Cashing in a couple of gift vouchers for a Milwaukee M18 Surge Impact Driver..............a belated Christmas present.

With most of the Milwaukee M18 impact range being out of stock for over a month now, I had to place an order for it two weeks ago. This particular model has a hydraulic powertrain to reduce metal on metal contact, which allows for quieter and smoother operation. It also allows four speed and torque settings. In both cases, I'm told these elements deliver a smoother and more finessed action, rather than smashing the guts out of whatever you are working on.

I have also added some additional garage lighting above the sink. There is nothing special about these, other than they are ultra slim and easily expanded.

Rigid LED Strip Lights - Altronics
    Genlamp Natural White Linkable LED Strip Light 300mm - Altronics

I mounted the lights to wall using adhesive velco, so no mess or holes to drill. Each light comes with a male/male daisy chain cord, which I only used to bridge from the cabinet to the wall. The three wall mounted units are joined using a male/male joiner piece. You then connect a 12V power adapter. They also offer a dimming switch and motion sensor if so desired.

Genlamp LED Strip Joiner For X3271 - Altronics
    https://www.altronics.com.au/p/m8936...ance-plugpack/

Despite how the images present, the light output is actually quite good, helping make this somewhat dark spot in the garage so much better.
    Is it of for lug nuts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanaDetailingPros View Post
    Is it of for lug nuts?
    No, that particular model is for driving screws and fasteners, mainly bought for household repairs ect.

I do have an impact gun for lugs, but I don't like using a gun on lugs, so I mostly use it for mower repairs.

Probably don't let your blades run that long.....................

Post Thanks / Like

Another shipment of spare parts. Just on $180 spent online and not a small local business. I don't hold grudges.........much................

The orange air filter is for my new Briggs 850, which is different from earlier versions of that engine. The long filter for the Honda GXV 160. The black foam filters are of the oil soak type and are for my Honda GX 25. The spark plugs are for "stock" and suit a variety of machines from Briggs, Honda, Stihl, Husqvarna, Krohler and Victa.

4. Likes Big Dave, Dirty Harry, Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trying out some new brushes on today's detail.

The first being the relatively new Detail Factory Progrip Fender Well Brush. This particular brush is well suited to cleaning wheel arches of larger vehicles like this, the longer reach meaning you could even use it standing up for both wheels and wheel arches. The flag tip bristles are firm enough to get some work done, soft enough to be safe.

Also great on side steps..................

The second brush is the short version of the above, mainly aimed at wheel cleaning. Like the fender brush, this version is available in both red or grey, and again has flag tipped bristles. I found this brush slightly off balance due to the huge head and stubby handle. But it certainly dealt with these wheels just fine.

Like other Detail Factory brushes, you are paying for quality with these two. The entire handle has soft rubberized coating, which might sound pointless, but it really does make the user experience more pleasant. I've also found Detail Factory to be supremely durable, the tyre brush I've had for a while now still looks brand new after extensive use.

As for the vehicle in question, the tyres were scrubbed using P&S Undressed, a product I have been using the most for tyres recently. The wheels were cleaned using foamed Brake Buster. I then topped off the wheels with Gyeon Wet Coat.

The vehicle had accumulated plenty of bugs over the last month, so it was pretreated with Carpro Bug Out, then Gtechniq W4 Citrus Foam applied over the top and left to dwell. Rinsed, I then washed with Opti-Coat M-Wash. Drying aid the delightful Adam's Slick & Slide. Rounding off the exterior, I applied Gtechniq T2 to the tyres and wiped the wheels over with Clean Maker.

For the interior, I used Nexzett Cockpit Premium to wipe everything down, leather included. P&S True Vue for the glass, and Swift on the rubber floor mats. The steering wheel needed a deep clean with ColourLock Strong Leather Cleaner, followed by ColourLock Leather Protector. The cabin finished off with a few sprays of Griot's Fine Leather scent.

6. Thanks Prange thanked for this post
    Likes Big Dave, Prange, oneheadlite, Dirty Harry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered bpth since my wheel brush is getting a little beat up and my cleaning fender brush is crap. Funny thing was Amazon was the cheaper option ofcourse with the free freight but backed up till middle of March. No worries.. But thanks for showing off the best of the best as always DFB
    Been waitint to see you on the new forum by the way!

8. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Another shipment of spare parts. Just on $180 spent online and not a small local business. I don't hold grudges.........much................

The orange air filter is for my new Briggs 850, which is different from earlier versions of that engine. The long filter for the Honda GXV 160. The black foam filters are of the oil soak type and are for my Honda GX 25. The spark plugs are for "stock" and suit a variety of machines from Briggs, Honda, Stihl, Husqvarna, Krohler and Victa.
    I like to shop local, but about half the time, I need to get stuff online. The selection just isn't there.

10. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prange View Post
    I like to shop local, but about half the time, I need to get stuff online. The selection just isn't there.
    I'm conflicted here regarding "shop local".

I work for a small family retail business, every sale counts and we rely on locals shopping with us over the big multi-national hardware store. What separates us is the personalized service we offer, something you just can't get in a faceless hardware store. If we don't do that, then why would someone shop with us and pay the premium to do so. And that's why I'm supposed to be all for "shop local".

When it comes to me shopping in bricks and mortar stores, maybe I expect too much considering the lengths I go to in keeping a customer feeling valued. Because whenever I actually step into a store now, that is quite often not how I am treated. I once went out of my way to spend my money in this town, but buying local is a rare occurrence for me now. Covid changed my shopping habits massively, and I never really went back. But then when you step into a business that should have your back, then shafts you not once, but twice, then my money goes elsewhere. That last mower I bought, a $1800 purchase no less, was bought online instead of this local business. Along with that, plus another mower I bought and various bundles of spare parts, I would have once bought all this from the local business, and therefore my money left town.

You see, if the whole shop local thing is to be appreciated, the business in question has to remember who pays their wages. They also have to sell what I want, not tell me what I should be buying. And the same applies to the detailing products I buy. Unless I want to buy Turtle Wax or overpriced Meguiar's products, then I have no choice to go online.

That all might sound like I'm an entitled grump, and I've served many entitled customers in my time, but at the end of the day, if I don't give the customer what they want and go out of my way to make them happy, then I don't have a job.

Post Thanks / Like

The Jaguar and Ranger's turn today, with the Jag in line for a couple of extra's,

First up, replacement wiper blades. Now, if the dealer had offered to replace these for sane money, then I would have gladly let them do the job, would have saved me chasing down the correct parts. But asking over $240 to replace a $63 set of rubber wiper blades is simply ridiculous.

Bosch A532S Aerotwin Windscreen Wiper Blade Set 700mm / 430mm | Automotive Superstore | Shop Online

Replacing the wiper blades on the XE can be done with or without them in the service position, but its much easier with them raised. To do this, you need to follow the exact proceedure to get them to raise and stay in place mid screen.

1. Sitting in the car, press the start button without pressure on the brake pedal to power up the accessories. Then, press again to power down, the screens and blower fan should be off.

2. Hold the wiper stalk down, then press the start button, again without brake pedal pressure. The wipers will then raise and hold in the vertical position.

3. Leave the power on, screens still active. DO NOT remove the key fob from the car, you risk prompting the car to lower the wiper arms and potentially smash a very expensive windscreen.

4. To return to the resting position, simply press the wiper stalk.

Service Position Method -

Resting Position Method -

The old wipers had started to tear and were the originals from 2015, even brand new they weren't very good. I probably should have junked them a long time ago, but the car rarely drives in the rain.

Before washing the car, I also gave the engine bay a quick rinse off, followed by a generous application of Meguiar's Hyper Dressing diluted at 4:1 for a "natural" finish. I then used the EGO to distribute the Hyper Dressing and remove any excess water. After attending to the rest of the car, I doubled back with a towel to mop up any lingering water or product puddles.

The colour tone of the Light Oyster leather trim is naturally prone to showing even the slightest hint of dye transfer, so it was out with the Mild Leather Cleaner from ColourLock, teamed with the ColourLock brush. The combination of that cleaner and THAT brush means you only need to gently agitate the leather, followed by wiping the residue with a towel.

I then followed up with ColourLock Leather Protector, which is designed for leather older than three years. Applied with a foam block, the initial impression is that it makes the surface shiny. However, once it dries, the finish left behind is a natural matte appearance that is soft and non-greasy to touch.

And with that, the fleet is now fully clean.

13. Likes Big Dave, oneheadlite, Dirty Harry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I read this recently, after following a rabbit trail on YT, all sorts of videos on bad customer service and entitled Karens ( or grumps, if you like). There was lots of "the customer is always right" stuff being thrown around, but the best thing I saw was this:

"The customer is not always right, but they are always the customer".

I've worked for a large multinational, and now a small family owned and run business, of the two I can honestly say the large multinational was the better place to work, nowhere near perfect, but definitely safer, more interested in getting the job done right, more trusting of people to get the job done, and more backup if you need it. Too much ego involved when the guy who owns the business is on site every day, why employ people with experience if you're not going to take advantage of it.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

15. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I read this recently, after following a rabbit trail on YT, all sorts of videos on bad customer service and entitled Karens ( or grumps, if you like). There was lots of "the customer is always right" stuff being thrown around, but the best thing I saw was this:

"The customer is not always right, but they are always the customer".

I've worked for a large multinational, and now a small family owned and run business, of the two I can honestly say the large multinational was the better place to work, nowhere near perfect, but definitely safer, more interested in getting the job done right, more trusting of people to get the job done, and more backup if you need it. Too much ego involved when the guy who owns the business is on site every day, why employ people with experience if you're not going to take advantage of it.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
    OMG, it's like you can read my mind!

Starting with the "customer is always right" thing, I've always hated that tag line because it implies the customer has the right to be rude, offensive and demanding. In that situation, then the customer reaps what they sow, I don't tolerate that sh.t. "The customer is not always right, but they are always the customer" .................it's my job to show them the "right" way without demeaning or discrediting there thoughts.

As for family business's, I've spent the last 20 years working for one. The bolded parts of your post are spot on.

While there is no business without the owner, there is no business without external staff. I often feel like a liability to them, that all I am doing is costing them money. And yet, when I make that killer $2000 sale (rare), its expected rather not appreciated and acknowledged. Last year, I took on a lot of mini projects that were geared around making things look fresher and neater, only for it to be thrown in my face. I think I showed too much initiative and talent at what I was doing and they felt threatened. And yet, if a wasted time, took long breaks, ignored customers, then I would be labeled lazy or lacking imitative. Sometimes, there is NO winning with a family business.

At the end of the day, I'm bored out of my brains, but it pays the bills,

17. Thanks Prange thanked for this post
    Likes Big Dave, oneheadlite, Dirty Harry liked this post
Page 132 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3282122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141 ... LastLast