autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thread: DFB's Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DFB's Garage

The joy this image represents is unmeasurable..................

Nothing special here, just a maintenance clean using Koch Chemie GSF. I also spent some time messing about with the number plate protectors. Actually, this car has never had them in its near 16-year life. The plates on this car are the blue and white Victorian slimline items with a blue outline around outside edge. Having a plate covers on hides that blue outline with a black boarder, which has the effect of making the plate appear more integrated and a cleaner overall look. Wish I did this long ago. Meanwhile, it's about time the whole number plate thing was phased out in Australia, it's not 1979 anymore. At the very least, get rid of the front plate as it almost always ruins the front-end design, Mustang's in particular.

Also, a couple of observations regarding the new brakes on this car. These things are just so much smoother feeling under foot, and overall, more capable in all driving conditions. The front Project Mu pads do produce more brake dust than the Ford OE pads, but with the wheels coated, that simply washes off with water.

I also had a problem with the A/C on this car today, the air from the vents was warm and the compressor not cycling. This has happened a few times in the past, always linked back to low battery voltage. That is a common situation with FG Falcon's, which shed battery draw by shutting down non-essential systems to save power, the AC being one of them. Having said that, the car was starting just fine. I had planned on swapping this car back into storage but aborted that and instead plugged it up to the CTEK, hopefully that's all it is. Otherwise, its probably time for a new battery, it would easily be over 10 years old now.

2. Likes Big Dave, Dirty Harry, Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post

I also had a problem with the A/C on this car today, the air from the vents was warm and the compressor not cycling. This has happened a few times in the past, always linked back to low battery voltage. That is a common situation with FG Falcon's, which shed battery draw by shutting down non-essential systems to save power, the AC being one of them. Having said that, the car was starting just fine. I had planned on swapping this car back into storage but aborted that and instead plugged it up to the CTEK, hopefully that's all it is. Otherwise, its probably time for a new battery, it would easily be over 10 years old now.
    Five hours on the CTEK and its back!

4. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean about the number plates, it's the small details that matter. When I got my VZ it came with the ugly full size yellow and black plates, I soon ordered the slimline blue with white writing, but they also had a white outline around the edge, which looked wrong, so I bought the black frames that hide it. When I got the FJ it had white plates with black writing, it didn't look right, so I bought the black with silver writing to match, but they had the silver outline that also looked wrong, so I bought the black frames again. If it looks wrong, it will bother me till I fix it.

I was going to wash the FJ today, but the temp hit 36 instead of the predicted 33, and the humidity was high, so no detailing got done. I did clean out the microwave though, but I haven't said anything, I'll see if anyone notices.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

6. Likes Klasse Act, DFB, Dirty Harry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't stand the front plates here and what sucks is surrounding states don't have to have them, goofy law AND it costs each state extra money whom have front and rear platesDFB's GarageDFB's GarageDFB's Garage

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

8. Likes DFB, Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Holiday Project 3 – Ranger Wheel Coating and Fitment

I feel like this project has simmering for ages now, so it’s great to finally get stuck into the final pieces of the puzzle.

To recap, these wheels were bought second hand and have since been decontaminated, polished and touched up where required. I sourced the missing center cap along with 24 new solid lug nuts. The tyres were then fitted, directly followed by de-nibbing and a clean with Tarminator to remove any manufacturing oils and fitment soap.

They wheels have sat waiting for the ceramic coating to arrive and after two impromptu full details, I have finally found some time to get this job sorted.

Ceramic Coating –

Having been impressed with the Armour Detail Supply Wheel Coating that I applied to the XR6 last year, the choice of coating for the Ranger was simple. This coating offers the ideal blend of durability with the slickness and water behavior missing from most wheel coatings.

The wheels have sat in the garage since the tyres were fitted. The first step was to give them a quick once over with Carpro Eraser, followed by a final wipe down with Rupes Reveal Strong.

For the coating, I prefer to start with the wheel face first, followed by the barrels. You are more likely to have residual product transferring from the wheel face to the barrel, so doing the barrels last prevents that becoming a high spot. Having said that, a high spot on a dull wheel barrel is very unlikely to ever be seen.

Application is simple, prime the supplied microfiber applicator with three lines of product, then a single line thereafter. Work the coating across the wheel face or barrel, making sure to get even coverage. This coating is a "sweater", which will start to appear after about 2 - 3 minutes and is your cue to start leveling with the first towel. You then follow with a secondary towel to ensure the removal any lingering residue. The initial wipes will be quite grabby, which is due to the high solids content of this coating, but the secondary wipe will transform to a slick finish. I have also found that the coating becomes slicker after a few hours.

With how this coating hardens, you really need two applicators between four wheels, especially if you are dealing with larger wheels than these tiny 16's.

Once the wheels had been coated, it was then time for fitment.

Wheel Fitment and Wheel Arch Cleaning –

Starting at the front left, I removed the two-piece lugs and the old steel wheel.

Completely unnecessary on a car like this, but I decided to give the front arches some attention. In this case, Green Star APC, a bucket of ONR at 256:1 and a selection of brushes. I actually thought the calipers would have been worse considering they have NEVER been cleaned, but they cleaned up brilliantly with some NV Purge. I then flushed everything with ONR and water.

The new wheels were then offered up and lightly secured with the new solid lug nuts. The old chrome jacket items were starting to show some wear and with their high failure rate, replacement seemed like cheap insurance. Torque figure on Ranger lugs is 135 Nm. (I love that Wera torque wrench by the way!)

Save for wiping the face of the drum barrel, the rear arches were not cleaned.

Final step, and my favorite, the application of a tyre dressing. Today, I decided on OG Tire Dressing with the assistance of a large boars hair brush. For some reason, commercial tyres seem to amplify a dressing, so I actually knocked them back with a towel after 20 min.

A quick look at the old tyres after removal justified my choice to buy some new ones.................

With just on 39,000 km (24,000 miles) on the clock since new, while they still have tread, those tyres are now 8 years old and don't look crash hot. With the coating needing to cure for 12-hours before being driven, I'm still to see how the new tyres perform. I will say though, I can't fault the OE fit Dunlop's, they have done their job as a daily driver, hauling tools and garden supplies, taken me across the country...............and played along as I indulged in some wet weather car control practice.

Finished Result -

Having had this car for nearly 8 years now, seeing it without those 16-inch steelies is strange................

And with that, my Povo Ute just got a little less povo!
    Look's good Deyon but i'm a fan of the steel wheels, more of a work vibe with them but they did need a good sand back and re spray.

BUT if you like the new set up that's all that matters.

10. Likes DFB, Big Dave, Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tasmania View Post
    Look's good Deyon but i'm a fan of the steel wheels, more of a work vibe with them but they did need a good sand back and re spray.

I wanted to get the Hilux steelies for the FJ, but they're not wide enough for the rubber I wanted to put on. The look would have been something like the one below.

12. Likes Klasse Act, Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Can't stand the front plates here and what sucks is surrounding states don't have to have them, goofy law AND it costs each state extra money whom have front and rear platesDFB's GarageDFB's GarageDFB's Garage

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    The important part is who's cousin gets the contract for the plates.

14. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tasmania View Post

Those tire are DONE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prange View Post
    Those tire are DONE.
    Definitely ARE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I wanted to get the Hilux steelies for the FJ, but they're not wide enough for the rubber I wanted to put on. The look would have been something like the one below.

The one's you have Dave now are way better than that pic.

18. Thanks Big Dave thanked for this post
    Likes Big Dave liked this post
Page 126 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2676116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136 ... LastLast