autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 12 of 142 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262112 ... LastLast

Thread: DFB's Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DFB's Garage

My sister in law has a 2022 Mazda CX5 GT Turbo and they got a professional detailer to install a ceramic coating they love it.

Mazdas as you know have very thin paint, if in doubt go with Fusso coat

2. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    My usual response when they say, "you can do mine next", is , "you can't afford me, my skills don't come cheap". They laugh, but can't think of anything else to say.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
    Wait are you still talking about detailing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes Tasmania, Big Dave, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Wondering if I could ask for some advice.

My boss just took delivery of a brand-new Mazda CX-5 Akera in Eternal Blue. This is their first brand new car, which I had a hand in steering him in the right direction. To my surprise, he went ahead and ordered the top of the range (Akera) and selected the optional 2.5 Turbo. I say surprise because he has always been really tight with his money, and very much one of those people who a car is merely and object to travel from A to B. When you run a small family business, you basically work 7 days a week in one way or another, adding the Pandemic into the mix has meant a lot of hard work on their part to ensure the business survived. Our business would end up being a winner out of the pandemic, sales went absolutely nuts and all of us have been run off our feet. So, this new car is a well-earned reward for their hard work, and I think that is why he went ahead and spent the added money for a car they will be proud to have.

I now have two jobs because of this new car. Firstly, their old Mazda 3 needs to be detailed to get it ready to be sold. The Velocity Red paint has some mild oxidation so will be given a one-step to bring it back. The last time I detailed it, the car came up pretty good, with the acknowledgement that it would benefit from a polish when the time came to sell.

When they decided to go with the Mazda CX-5, they were given the usual sales pitch of paint and interior protection, which I managed to talk him out of. I don't know if that was the correct thing to do, but I hear of so many people who pay considerable money to have a dealership coating installed, only for it fail prematurely. I actually offered to do it for him, without the massive mark up.

Apart from wheels and trim, I have never used a ceramic coating before. I was all set to just use a spray sealant or wax, but I wanted to use something that would last them a little longer, so I went ahead and ordered some CanCoat EVO to use on this car. So, all of this waffle to get to my question(s);

I know CanCoat is a pretty lightweight coating and I feel like I am a pretty capable detailer, but am I being silly using this car as my first ceramic coating? Is it as easy as it looks?

I'm excited to put my touch on this car, and nervous about the coating at the same time.
    Don’t sweat it at all. If your not scared of polishing this is a piece of cake.

Gyeon says to use a MF towel but I prefer a MF applicator. Do a panel at a time and go cross hatch to ensure even coverage.

Don’t go slow and methodical like you see in coating video’s. After applying buff off. Make sure to remove from outside in to lessen chance of high spots.

When buffing with second towel I go a good 6” to 1’ pass where I applied to minimize HS.

If you wanna OCD it I use a 3rd towel just to make sure.

The only problem you’ll have is after that you may have 3-4 more cars you will want to CC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Wait are you still talking about detailing?

His nickname is "Magic Hands"

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t sweat it at all. If your not scared of polishing this is a piece of cake.

Gyeon says to use a MF towel but I prefer a MF applicator. Do a panel at a time and go cross hatch to ensure even coverage.

Don’t go slow and methodical like you see in coating video’s. After applying buff off. Make sure to remove from outside in to lessen chance of high spots.

When buffing with second towel I go a good 6” to 1’ pass where I applied to minimize HS.

If you wanna OCD it I use a 3rd towel just to make sure.

The only problem you’ll have is after that you may have 3-4 more cars you will want to CC.

Yes, I am very aware that this might lead to several other cars needing to be to be Can Coated.

I think I like the idea of an MF applicator better than a folded towel.

I have plans to either the red Mazda or the new CX-5 this coming Monday, although rain is predicted. I did actually order some Cure as well, should I play it safe and delay the coating and just do the pre-sale on the red car?

Post Thanks / Like

What about Mckees37 Hydro graphene coating?

Spray on, rise off good for 6 months plus minimize water spotting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Me Time View Post
    Haven't been on the site in a while. Nice rides, like that blue Falcon. I wish they would of brought some of the Ford's you all had down there to the states. Did you ever own a Ute? Always thought those were a sharp looking little truck.

I appreciate your brand choice. I've been with Ford for 33 years now. Work at the truck plant where we build the Superduty, Expedition, and Navigator..... Thanks
    Always love hearing from people who work on the lines, you guys are doing the hard work!

I have never "owned" a Falcon Ute but have driven many. I also used a Falcon Ute to do my gardening run until I got on my feet.

It was nothing special, a 2006 BF MK II Falcon XL (base model) that had some bigger wheels and a chrome sports bar added. Because Falcon Utes were considered "commercial" vehicles, Ford actually deleted one of the mufflers compared to the sedans, so these had a nice deep exhaust note to them that the equivalent sedan lacked.

Just prior to the pandemic, I was just about to pull the trigger on a last of the line Falcon Ute with the Turbo Barra Inline 6. The lack of certainty at the time made me delay the purchase, and since then prices have rocketed. I think I missed my opportunity as these cars are now worth $10,000 to $20,000 more than when they were new!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Yes, I am very aware that this might lead to several other cars needing to be to be Can Coated.

I think I like the idea of an MF applicator better than a folded towel.

I have plans to either the red Mazda or the new CX-5 this coming Monday, although rain is predicted. I did actually order some Cure as well, should I play it safe and delay the coating and just do the pre-sale on the red car?
    If you can keep inside for a few hours then top with Cure or another Sio2 topper you should be fine.

I like to play it safe and keep inside overnight.

11. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can keep inside for a few hours then top with Cure or another Sio2 topper you should be fine.

I like to play it safe and keep inside overnight.

I have suggested that I can keep it in my garage overnight to be safe. 90% chance of rain, a good job to do on a rainy day, just not good to have the customer drive off in the rain.

Otherwise, I will do the polish and detail on the old car this week, and the new one next.

Post Thanks / Like

Got to hand it to Gyeon, they have their packaging game sorted!

I'm also factoring a care package into the price, so it gets maintained properly! I'm told they use a 30-year-old leather chamois and the "blue soap from the supermarket" (Armor All).

A wash mitt, drying towel, Gyeon Bathe and Beadmaker. (The Magic Wheel Cleaner is MINE though!)

14. Likes Big Dave, Azure liked this post
Page 12 of 142 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262112 ... LastLast