autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 106 of 142 FirstFirst ... 65696979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1414

Thread: DFB's Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DFB's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah but your bagged, different deal hereDFB's Garage

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

2. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Two things come to mind -

- First, a blocked exhaust port or spark arrestor in the muffler. This is mostly applicable to 2-stroke engines, but it you don't run the machine at full or high revs often, the carbon doesn't burn off properly and eventually causes it to build up and block, ultimately preventing the engine from exhaling.

I haven't pulled down a small GX25 / GX35 Honda before, but you would need to inspect the small muffler outlet screen, which your unit may or may not have as there are a few different designs for these engines. Remove any built-up carbon with a wire brush or by heating it with a flame and again agitating with a brush.

For the exhaust port, you will need to remove the muffler and inspect the port for carbon build up. Remove by gently scraping the carbon away. In both cases, you will need to remove the engine shrouding. While the muffler is removed, make sure the inlet is not blocked either.

- Secondly, it could be that engine is not getting enough fuel at full throttle. In which case, check the fuel filter in the tank. Otherwise, you will likely need to rebuild or replace the carb. These are a diaphragm carb, which become hard with age and don't pump fuel properly. Usually, you will have starting issues as well. On my GX25 powered Atom Edger, I had the carb rebuilt and fuel line replaced to solve this issue.

Issue solved - finally.

Once I replaced the carburetor, the GX25 now works like charm.

I can go full throttle, without chocking or loss of power.

Flex 3401 & PE14

4. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danube View Post
    Issue solved - finally.

Once I replaced the carburetor, the GX25 now works like charm.

I can go full throttle, without chocking or loss of power.

Excellent!

The GX25 and 35 are nice little engines, very rorty with excellent throttle response. Is it weird that I love the sound of them? These also have an OHC, which I think is what makes them so responsive and fuel efficient.

I have the GX25 on an Atom edger, great for laser straight edges, which I bought this second hand off a neighbor. Because it had sat for a while, the carby needed to be overhauled and the fuel lines replaced.

The are only two failings of these engines. First, they are pretty heavy for the cubic capacity, which in turn makes handheld tools like trimmers and bowers a little more taxing to use. For someone who uses the machine occasionally, as in once a week, then that's not so much a problem. For someone using the machine all day long, then it becomes a bit harder on the body.

Secondly, you need to check and replace the oil. That tends to catch a lot of people out accustomed to two-stroke small engines that never require that sort of maintenance. This is what happens when a GX35 runs low on oil.......................

That machine is not mine but one that is now a permanent smoker because those responsible for it never checked the oil, it ran low, got hot and burned up the cylinder.

Having said that, anyone that is mechanically minded won't have that issue and will instead be rewarded with a fuel efficient, smooth and quite engine that doesn't shower you in two-stroke smoke.

Post Thanks / Like

And for those interested, this is THE BEST two-stroke trimmer on the market................

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/string-trimmers/522l/
    Husqvarna 522L Grass Trimmer | Husqvarna AU

The Husqvarna 522L is certainly not the most powerful on the market, but close to the lightest straight shaft trimmer going. As I alluded to before, lightness is what you want on a machine that is basically welded to your body for extended periods. Also, check out the anti-vibration handle, something that I didn't realise I needed. Previous to this machine, I was getting terrible pins and needles in my hands, but the lack of vibration on this unit solved that. I have only occasionally wanted for more power, but for the sort of regular trimming I do, its more than powerful enough. And it sounds good too, very throaty sounding! Not to mention the reliability of the thing, over the years I have been thrashing it, I've replaced one air filter and greased the gear head, that's it, not even a spark plug!

And I say all that as more of a Stihl rather than a Husky boy.

7. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While I'm talking mowers, we have a brand called Bushranger in Australia who allow buyers to pimp out their new zero-turn.................

Just a moment...

A pretty normal looking zero turn it would seem, but how does this sexy looking chrome exhaust tip look?

Just a moment...

Or what about a rear spoiler to increase downforce and traction?

Just a moment...

For the record, I'd be all in for the exhaust tip, not so much the rear spoiler as it would probably hamper access to the engine for servicing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Excellent!

Secondly, you need to check and replace the oil. That tends to catch a lot of people out accustomed to two-stroke small engines that never require that sort of maintenance. This is what happens when a GX35 runs low on oil.......................
    I actually change oil on both my trimmer and lawn mower quite regularly.

Funny thing, I use Motul 7100 for my GX25, the same oil that I use in my Honda bikes (yes, I like Honda bikes the best, after owning every single major brand in the last 40yrs).
    Flex 3401 & PE14

10. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Prior to my 2004 Mach 1, I had never lowered my Mustangs. When I got my Mach, something just didn't look right. I kinda figured it had something to do with the tires moving to better performace (lower profile, etc). I ended up lowering it with springs about 1.5" and it just looked SOOOO much better. Not low, by any means, but much better.

12. Likes Coatingsarecrack, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm getting deeper and deeper down the XR6 brake upgrade rabbit hole!

For the record, Falcon's were never known for braking performance, Ford simply spec'd the brakes to be as cheap as possible to keep cost down. Models with the Brembo systems were much better but were restricted to the very top end of the range. To me, brakes shouldn't be nickeled and dimed.

The standard Falcon brake system on my XR6 is pretty overwhelmed by the size and weight of the car, you really only get one or two big hits out of them before they start to shudder. Previous XR6's were offered with the choice of a premium brake package, but by the time the FG model arrived, the naturally aspirated XR6 was basically the fleet and rental model and Ford dropped that option.

Ideally, I would love to replace them with Brembo's. A few vendors offer a variety of different Brembo caliper and rotor upgrades for the front and rear, in both 6 and 4 piston variations and choice of red or black paint. But..................Brembo's brakes don't fit behind those wheels and I'm not prepared to sacrifice them for a set of brakes that would show their worth only occasionally.

I did have someone tell me that Brembo's do in fact fit behind those wheels, but I think he had his wires crossed. Having a set fitted to the XR8, I guess I could easily find out myself.

The basic Falcon brake setup on my naturally aspirated XR6 has a PBR twin piston caliper and a (tiny) 298mm x 28mm ventilated disk on the front................

...........and a single piston PBR caliper with a 303mm x 16mm solid disk on the rear.

For the XR6 Turbo and 5.4 XR8, Ford changed the front rotor to a 322mm x 28mm ventilated disk. The front caliper and entire rear setup remains the same.

So, the easiest brake upgrade for my XR6 would be to change the caliper support bracket to the high-series item, which would then allow for the use of a larger 322mm disk.

Rotor wise, I would then replace all four corners with DBA T3 slotted items, 322 x 28 on the front, 303 x 16 on the rear. Then change to Project Mu NS-EP pads all round, which are apparently low dust/noise street performance items.

So, I'm hoping the higher quality rotors all round (larger on the front) with upgraded pads and a fluid change will get the brakes to a standard I'll be happy with. I also have the option of changing the brake lines to braided stainless steel for an additional $298, but I might see what pads and rotors delivers before doing that.

14. Likes Big Dave, Klasse Act, Dirty Harry, Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember back in the 90s I used to take my car to a workshop that also serviced the local HWP cars, both Fords and Holdens, and the owner always told me that cop cars didn't always need to be faster, but they definitely had to have better brakes. That was how they caught most people, first they'd run out of brakes, then they'd run out of talent. If they were available, I always fitted the police spec pads to my Commodores, they were the same backing plate, but they had a larger area of pad material, I even fitted them to my Cross 8 after some disc warping issues.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

16. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I remember back in the 90s I used to take my car to a workshop that also serviced the local HWP cars, both Fords and Holdens, and the owner always told me that cop cars didn't always need to be faster, but they definitely had to have better brakes. That was how they caught most people, first they'd run out of brakes, then they'd run out of talent. If they were available, I always fitted the police spec pads to my Commodores, they were the same backing plate, but they had a larger area of pad material, I even fitted them to my Cross 8 after some disc warping issues.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
    When the BA Falcon was launched in 2002, the XR6 Turbo and XR8 both came standard with the 298mm front, 303mm rear entry level brake setup. For context, those tiny brakes were tasked at keeping the 240 kw (322hp) Turbo and 260 kw (348hp) XR8 in check. Way, way under done for the speed potential of those cars. This was when Ford was offering the optional "Premium Brakes" which featured 325mm front rotors and larger black painted calipers that were fitted off-line at FPV. Take rate was low, but I'm sure most Police-Spec cars got that system.

Obviously, not being fitted online and subcontracting the Premium Brakes out to FPV was not cost effective for Ford. So that's when the Premium Brakes were discontinued for the 2005 BF Falcon, and the larger 322mm front rotors fitted as standard to all XR6 Turbo and XR8 models going forward. Actually, those early BF models also got a larger rear caliper and ventilated disk, but cost cutting for the BF MK II meant Ford reverted to the standard non-ventilated 303mm disk. That then carried through FG, FG MK II and FG-X.

Police spec Falcon's also had a police-specific brake pad and rotor, same sizes, just more aggressive. NSW Highway Patrol cars on the other hand had the FPV GT Brembo package, which also necessitated FPV wheels. You can spot an ex-NSW HWP car by the F6 Typhoon wheels and red Brembo brakes. In either case, the use of higher spec brake systems for Police use was because the standard setup was not up to police requirements.

Some people think that buying one of those ex-HWP cars is a shrewd move to get the bigger brakes, completely discounting the abuse those cars got being slammed into curbs, thrashed at high speed and left idling/running almost 24/7. In my mind, just buy a non-police example, buy a new set of wheels and Brembo's.

18. Likes Klasse Act, Big Dave, Dirty Harry liked this post
Page 106 of 142 FirstFirst ... 65696979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116 ... LastLast