autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Vacation Detailing Project - Take Six

Ranger Wildtrack Waxing

My quest to maintain this car continues. My old man has probably washed a car twice in his lifetime. With his car being a mobile office and lunch room, he almost spends as much time in his car than in the office. As such, it tends to get pretty dirty. His previous cars I have basically ignored, there has to be a limit to what I can care about in regards to car maintenance.

The Wildtrack is different. This would be the only time in his life he has chosen the flagship. I guess the mentality of not looking too 'flash' at a jobsite or the fact its only going to get filthy has always meant choosing the basic model. Because of this change, I have taken on the task of keeping this car 'nice'. Monthly details seem to be working, as is applying a proper wax every 6-8 months. And that's what today was all about.

First off, I decided to use Koch Chemie AS in the wheel bucket, along with Brake Buster as a wheel and tire cleaner. Koch AS is not a favorite of mine, it just does not cut it as a foaming wash, as such I'm using it up in my wheel bucket, where the extra alkalinity comes in handy.

After the wheels, I broke my own rules and pressure washed the engine bay, then liberally sprayed with Meguiars Hyper Dressing.

For the decontamination wash, I chose to go with CarPro Descale. I absolutely love this product. The front bumper had a collection of bugs that with a couple of sprays of bug remover and a pre-soak with Descale removed touch free with a pressure rinse. I then re-foamed the car and completed the contact wash.

The car was then sprayed top to bottom with IronX and massaged in with gloved hands. Except for the glass, I chose not to clay the car.

Once blown dry and the door jambs wiped with ONR, I used CarPro Eraser as the 'drying aid' in prep for the application of wax.

The wax of the day was trusty Collinite 845, a brand new bottle no less. I'm getting 7-8 month durability of 845 on this car.

Using the machine to apply to the bulk of the car and a small applicator for the smaller areas, I left this to 'set' while I attended to the interior then used my new wax towels to wipe the residue off.

It was then onto the glass, applying Q2 Quick View to all exterior glass. I still have this product going strong on my own Ranger, 5 months after application.

I then finished off the interior cleaning. The leather trim will see some more attention soon, so I only wiped it over with some ONR today. The exterior glass was also re-cleaned to remove any remaining Quick View residue. Tires dressed with Duragloss 253 and the side steps wiped over with some Bead Maker. 253 is a handy product to use on these bigger, chunkier tires as its easier to spread.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vacation Detailing Project - Take Six

Glossy DFB my dad is the same when it comes to car's.

3. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vacation Detailing Project - Take Six

The Rangers outside of the U.S. just don't seem to look better, maybe because our top spec just doesn't seem to look THAT goodVacation Detailing Project - Take Six

I had to edit this as I didn't add DON'T, making it sound like the U.S. versions were nicer, quite an omission on my partVacation Detailing Project - Take Six

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

5. Likes DFB liked this post