autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Vacation Detailing Project - Take One

I'm on annual leave from work for next two weeks, most of which will be spend detailing......BLISS!

The first project on the docket is the Mustang.

A full decontamination, polish and re-coating of an LSP, along with a few other tasks that I tend to do at the same time, is something I do every couple of years on my cars. I have been planning this project for a couple of months now and with rain predicted, starting today sort of made sense.

First job was a strip wash with a slightly higher pH soap used for more intensive cleaning or preparing for a task like today. I use my older foam cannon for this soap.

Technically, the base layer of protection was Collinite 845, but who knows what else is on it now . Either way, the contact wash knocked the life out of it.

Next was iron decontamination using CarPro IronX. I also used the glove trick to massage the product in, which is a really good way to gauge what the paint feels like contamination wise. There was minimal color change from the IronX, which is to be expected on a well maintained car. Have I mentioned I hate using these sort of chemicals, they have a habit of sticking to your skin and the smell only leaves you once you have showered.

After a thorough rinse, I decided to use a clay block on a couple of areas that felt a little rough, however I ended up doing the whole car. These clay blocks or towels are much easier to manage than a traditional clay bar. I'm using Meguiar's Final Inspection as the lubricant.

A thorough final rinse before being brought into the garage and air dried. Any remaining water was then dried with a towel and Megs Final Inspection. I use Final Inspection for this task as it leaves nothing behind.

Now onto one of the more tedious tasks, masking up. I'm not particularly good at this so don't judge my work here.

Up until now, everything I have done has been in preparation for polishing. Now for the main event. Nothing quite like brand new pads!

The car had a few love marks here and there so I had originally planned to use CarPro Reflect as this it's a very easy to use product with minimal dusting. After doing a test spot it was evident I was going to need something a bit stronger. Another test spot revealed Sonax Perfect Finish was going to do the job I wanted.

This was my first use of Perfect Finish, I can now see why it's so loved.

The bulk of the work was done with the 5 and 3 inch machines, the Nano for the intricate stuff.

The Nano was also used on the scratch prone gloss black rear decklid piece, Perfect Finish cleaned it up very well.

I can also attest that CarPro Eraser is better than NV Clarity which I started out using before switching to Eraser. Clarity seems to be quite a bit grabbier nor does it smell like the delightful Eraser.

The glass also got some attention with a yellow Shine Mate pad with Perfect finish on the 3 inch machine.

After the whole car was wiped down with Eraser, I went on to applying Gyeon Q2 Wax. I have mentioned many times I prefer to uses waxes and sealants, mainly because I like to chop and change my protection products. Gyeon make no claims of the longevity of this product which leads me to think it's not especially durable. However, the Mustang not being a daily and spending most of its time under a cover means that durability is not a big deal for this car. What I like about Q2 wax is the ease of application and extreme water repellency which mimics a ceramic coating.

While the bulk of the car was coated with the 5 inch machine and a black Lake Country SDO pad, the smaller areas I used a foam applicator pad.

Q2 Wax must be left for 30 minutes before buffing, allowing time for a general clean up of the equipment used, including rinsing and soaking the pads in Microfiber Cleaner.

Onto the final buff, the best bit!

Race Red is a flat, non-metallic paint. While it doesn't pop like a metallic would, it certainly glows after all this work.

The paint turned out very good but there are still a few things to attend to tomorrow though. I'm not happy with the glass and it will need more attention before applying a sealant. I also want to dress all of the trim with CarPro Reload to help maintain the DLUX I applied a while ago.

More to come..........

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vacation Detailing Project - Take One

Great write up, prep and RESULTS Vacation Detailing Project - Take One

Love how you used red tape to mask things off, that's on a whole different level right thereVacation Detailing Project - Take One

Has to be the "redest" Stang out there...or down thereVacation Detailing Project - Take One

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

3. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome. What a wonderful relaxing way to spend some time off. Looks good!
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

5. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoyt66 View Post
    That's awesome. What a wonderful relaxing way to spend dome time off. Looks good!
    It took me a very long time to realize that I don't like traveling.

When someone takes a vacation or holiday, they go somewhere right? So that's what I did, because that's what everyone else does. Except, I would spend the time leading up to going away anxious about the trip, spend the whole time traveling anxious about the journey, then spend the whole time at my destination anxious about the trip home. For me, that is NOT relaxing.

So what do I find relaxing? Being at home, being in my garage, having the time to relax and enjoy the down time without anxiety. So that's what I'm doing and that's totally fine. Many don't understand this mentality and see it as a bad thing. Why should I force myself to do something just because that's what others enjoy? Who's life is this again? I spend my life doing stuff for other people, at work or otherwise, why should it be the same when the time is my own.

Anyway, rant over. It took me a long time to figure this out and be happy with the realization. You Do You.

7. Likes dgage, MikeII, oneheadlite, PaulMys, SNP209 and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I do my yearly trip to The Tail of the Dragon (every year since 2003) my only problem is that I have to come homeVacation Detailing Project - Take One

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

9. Likes DFB, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great write up of your process DFB. Your first post should be required viewing for any inexperienced detailer.

11. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now THAT is impressive!!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

13. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally get this. I love garage therapy. Vacation with all the comforts of home.
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

15. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The last picture has major sex appeal. Very bright, very glossy, just as red should be. Elite level condition.
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

17. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome write up, pictures and details! That stang really came out well, it is glowing!!! Well done!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

19. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast