autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

2020 Harley CVO Limited

Ordered a Flex XCE cordless so the Miata is on hold till I get my new tool.
    The bike is in good shape, I've had it about 1.5 years now so light compounding, followed by polish by hand is all it needs before I coated it with Profi Ceramic.

Finished the front fender today. More coming as I work toward the back of the bike. I am the opposite of Mike, I can take any 8 hour project and turn it into a week.

Jim
    2020 Harley CVO Limited-20210325_173047-jpg2020 Harley CVO Limited-20210325_173040-jpg2020 Harley CVO Limited-20210325_163008-jpg

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Harley CVO Limited

Paint came out well...great color and flake! Bike looks good!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Really great looking ride!!!

Keep us posted as you progress.

I came here to learn how to bring my '17 SG back to it's former glory. I did a post in the motorcycle section with some pics.

So you did the whole thing by hand? No polisher?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It takes me a bit longer by hand but the paint on the bike does not need a lot of work to look it's best.

Post Thanks / Like

my paint has some flake in it as well, it's a two toned.....Arctic Black and Deep Slate Candy....I feel once I clean it and address some of the areas that need correction, the depth of the color with the flake will look amazing

pics really don't them justice, but I plan on keeping track of my progress along with pics and what I've learned along the way

7. Likes JamesK liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Working on the fairing this morning I worked out a scratch that's been there since I got the bike.

first photo shows the scratch before I started working it, it's pretty deep into the clear.

Using some 5000 grit trizact (I would have killed for that paper 40 years ago) I worked it down a bit.

I can no longer feel it but it is still there if you look at the light just right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Harley CVO Limited-scratch1-jpg   2020 Harley CVO Limited-scratch-sanded-jpg   2020 Harley CVO Limited-scratch-finished-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

looking good, i had a mishap with my fairing some time back.....i was absolutely heartsick when I did it

being an HD guy, you know those fairings are held on by 4 bolts.....2 short ones on the bottom, 2 longs one on the top

I was installing a camera system on the bike and hid the GPS module in the fairing, super clean install, but when putting it back together....I was tired....and....you have to know where this is going.....

just seem super strange that the lower bolt didn't seem to be tightening up

you can see where I drove the bolt through in the first pic, had it repaired, rather than replace the entire fairing.....the CVO front fairing covers are about $1200

here is a pic of the fairing with the punched out part on the bottom and then the fairing after the repair

2020 Harley CVO Limited-img_1037-jpg

2020 Harley CVO Limited-img_1076-jpg

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

yup, I had the fairing cover off to install the XM module and was REALLLY careful to not mix up those bolts...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In the same vein one night after I had been working on the bike all day and was really tired I was wiping the bike down...

I dropped my micro towel and without thinking pick it back up again, if there is one lesson you need to learn is NEVER touch the paint with a towel after you drop it.

So I take the towel and wiped the top of the saddle bag, I had done some drilling the day before so there was a bit of sharp metal shaving on the ground.

I managed to drag that piece of metal from one end of the saddle bag to the other. I found out about then you can not buy the CVO paint color, harley keeps that info really secret.

So the only choice I have is to replace the lid or work it to get most of the scratch out. Fortunately the clear coat on the CVO's seems to be thicker than the standard bikes almost like a custom job.

You can still see some of the damage but not to the point where I'm gonna buy a new lid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Harley CVO Limited-20210326_111608-jpg