autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2020 Toyota Supra

Before I get started with the detail, a big shout out to this entire forum. I’ve learned so much from you guys over the years, I can’t begin to thank you all enough for sharing your knowledge and experience on Autogeek for everyone to take in. Also…so much respect to all of you who do such an amazing job putting up detailed posts, it’s not easy.

I picked up a 2020 Toyota Supra back in April of this year. I was on the fence about buying the car until I heard this color was being discontinued after the first model year. The color is called Downshift Blue…and I absolutely love it. It’s worth the 50hp deficit this car has versus the 2021 car. I also got a decent deal of $4K off MSRP, when people were paying nearly 2x MSRP a year ago.

It’s taken a while for me to post this, mostly because I didn’t think the work was post worthy but I’d like to make a contribution so here it is.

Here’s the obligatory before shot, taken in my garage the day after brining it home:

Doesn’t look bad from about 7 feet, start getting closer and you can see they washed the car with rocks and scissors.

Here are the worst of the ‘before’ shots:

The rear of the car was in rough shape. Using what I’ve learned over the years, I started with a moderate combination and worked my way up to figure out what I would need to get the car in good shape. I started with 3D One and a MF cutting pad and it didn’t do much on this paint. While this car is badged as a Toyota most know it’s mostly a BMW built in a 3rd party plant. I would describe this particular clear coat as hard. I settled on my Flex 3401 with the 5” backing plate and a 5.25” microfiber pad. I also used my GG 6” with a 3” backing plate and 3.25 microfiber cutting pad for some of the smaller areas. I used Menzerna 400 for the first cut. I finished it out with LC green pad and Menzerna SF 4000.

Here are some before/after shots:

I didn’t keep any of the before photos of the roof and the hood of the car as those just weren’t that bad and finished up nicely with the green pad and the SF 4000.

The side mirror mounts were done by hand with a microfiber applicator and SF4000.

The gloss black paint on the A pillar is pretty soft and finished easily with SF4000 and a green pad.

I struggled on which LSP to use as I have a few lying around and this car is not a daily driver so I didn’t feel the NEED to have the most durable longest lasting product on it. I settled on Sonax Polymer NetShield, I’ve used it before and love the performance. It doesn’t feel as slick as many other products but the combination of durability, availability, ease of use along with my familiarity with product, made it a good choice.

Here are the finished shots…I spent more time on it than I intended and I did not do the wheels during this detail.

Here are a few gratuitous gloss shots from the hood.

I hope you guys enjoyed this. If you have any questions for me, fire away!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Thanks DETAILROOKIE, Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Toyota Supra

Quote Originally Posted by boosteddub69 View Post
    Before I get started with the detail, a big shout out to this entire forum. I’ve learned so much from you guys over the years, I can’t begin to thank you all enough for sharing your knowledge and experience on Autogeek for everyone to take in. Also…so much respect to all of you who do such an amazing job putting up detailed posts, it’s not easy.

I picked up a 2020 Toyota Supra back in April of this year. I was on the fence about buying the car until I heard this color was being discontinued after the first model year. The color is called Downshift Blue…and I absolutely love it. It’s worth the 50hp deficit this car has versus the 2021 car. I also got a decent deal of $4K off MSRP, when people were paying nearly 2x MSRP a year ago.

It’s taken a while for me to post this, mostly because I didn’t think the work was post worthy but I’d like to make a contribution so here it is.

Here’s the obligatory before shot, taken in my garage the day after brining it home:

Doesn’t look bad from about 7 feet, start getting closer and you can see they washed the car with rocks and scissors.

Here are the worst of the ‘before’ shots:

The rear of the car was in rough shape. Using what I’ve learned over the years, I started with a moderate combination and worked my way up to figure out what I would need to get the car in good shape. I started with 3D One and a MF cutting pad and it didn’t do much on this paint. While this car is badged as a Toyota most know it’s mostly a BMW built in a 3rd party plant. I would describe this particular clear coat as hard. I settled on my Flex 3401 with the 5” backing plate and a 5.25” microfiber pad. I also used my GG 6” with a 3” backing plate and 3.25 microfiber cutting pad for some of the smaller areas. I used Menzerna 400 for the first cut. I finished it out with LC green pad and Menzerna SF 4000.

Here are some before/after shots:

I didn’t keep any of the before photos of the roof and the hood of the car as those just weren’t that bad and finished up nicely with the green pad and the SF 4000.

The side mirror mounts were done by hand with a microfiber applicator and SF4000.

The gloss black paint on the A pillar is pretty soft and finished easily with SF4000 and a green pad.

I struggled on which LSP to use as I have a few lying around and this car is not a daily driver so I didn’t feel the NEED to have the most durable longest lasting product on it. I settled on Sonax Polymer NetShield, I’ve used it before and love the performance. It doesn’t feel as slick as many other products but the combination of durability, availability, ease of use along with my familiarity with product, made it a good choice.

Here are the finished shots…I spent more time on it than I intended and I did not do the wheels during this detail.

Here are a few gratuitous gloss shots from the hood.

I hope you guys enjoyed this. If you have any questions for me, fire away!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nice Job and awesome color!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

4. Thanks boosteddub69 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great job!

I work for a dealer, and I see what the "detail guys" do to brand new cars every day.

Nauseating to say the least.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Thanks boosteddub69 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Turned out great and nice save from the dealer installed scratch marks. A car to be proud of indeed!
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

8. Thanks boosteddub69 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    Nice Job and awesome color!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Great job!

I work for a dealer, and I see what the "detail guys" do to brand new cars every day.

Nauseating to say the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    Turned out great and nice save from the dealer installed scratch marks. A car to be proud of indeed!
    Thanks for the kind words! High praise coming from all of you!

Everything I learned here is why I felt I could take this on. I could see some of the dealer installed scratches when it was on the showroom floor, I felt like I had the tools and the knowledge (thanks to the forum) to fix it.

Post Thanks / Like

This my 2nd favorite color, that pearl yellow is just amazing IMO2020 Toyota Supra2020 Toyota Supra2020 Toyota Supra

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

11. Likes boosteddub69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work! Congrats on the new car! GREAT color!! Very nice before/after pics. Well done!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

13. Thanks boosteddub69 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great job!

Love how you and Scott can get the before and after photos together side by side.

I haven't figured how to do that yet....

Awesome work there....

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

15. Thanks boosteddub69 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    This my 2nd favorite color, that pearl yellow is just amazing IMO2020 Toyota Supra2020 Toyota Supra2020 Toyota Supra

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I’m not a yellow car guy but the Nitro Yellow is nice. This color gets so much attention I don’t think I could drive it if it were yellow.

17. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Very nice work! Congrats on the new car! GREAT color!! Very nice before/after pics. Well done!

Thank you so much sir. One day, maybe, I’ll be half as good as you are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast