autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1997 Land Rover Black Detail (lots of pics)

Thanks guys!!

[quote=ZoranC;176194]Coming from you that must have been a lots of pressure, something unlikely majority will exert when polishing.

LOL...it was only a couple hundred pounds of pressure

As I mentioned before, once I double-washered this puppy and tightened it real good I was able to make things touch only with tons of pressure, not something I would be doing when polishing because by that time panel like hood or roof would be already flexing (no pun intended) down.
    Exactly I was using a lot more pressure then I would ever normally use. I'm curious on the ones that the backing plate melted or smoked, was the felt pad in the machine flush with the machine? I wondering if that might be the problem because mine sticks out about 1/16-1/8" above the machine - see here:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    Mine is not flush either but it does not stick out 1/16", more like 1/32", which is in line with a gap between plate and housing (which I estimate at 1/32" and I think Dave from PowerHouse measured at 0.035", which is practically 1/32"). Looking at your picture I am guessing yours is more like 1/32" too.
    I thing you are right...my guestimation was not very accurate on that one

However, what I am noticing now is that gearing in your second picture does not seem flush with housing (I am not saying mine is, I am just commenting on picture).

If that is correct it makes me wonder would be actually gearing that is rubbing against plate and felt just gets stuck against melted surface but is not one whose friction caused the melting.
    No, it is flush but does have some play and will move about half of the height of the felt pad (~1/64")....or more if I force it.

I think you might be on to something though...if the gear in the machine was at the same height as the felt it would definitely cause some friction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blkyukon View Post
    Great job and amazing pics, thank you for sharing
    Have you tried the 105 with the Flex?
    I haven't yet but it's on my next purchase.
    I tried it yesterday with a 5.5" LC orange pad and it worked like a charm, great combo. I used it in a grey Mercedes C Class and the clarity achieved is nice. Then a finishing polish or a glaze and a wax.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12