Been trying to book this car for a few years but our schedules never matched up, owner is a local business owner that does over the top garage transformations and also sells the entire Griots Garage line up along with the Zymol line. When I first got into detailing I’d go up and pick his brain, super nice older guy and just likes to talk. He’s seen my detailing start to get better and asked a few years ago if I’d be interested in doing his show car, its a 66 GT non original paint but original color. Had it painted 5 years ago and spent a pretty penny on it.

When talking with him he wanted me to use Zymol Concourse, he had the product and has zero interest in ceramic coating. I started with the Zymol line up and have a jar of their wax that I haven’t used in years. It was so refreshing to do this car! Kind of nostalgic just using the old school carnauba wax and not having to wait for flash and hit high spots.

So I did a Iron X snow foam bath, washed with reset and did a mechanical decon using a fine mitt. The paint was in good condition for the most part with just some dry towel wash marring and one crazy scratch that the owner didn’t know about. Tools used on my G21 and G8 were the rupes yellow wool pad with Car Pro Fixer, followed with white polish pad and reflect.

Wish the sun would have been out, but what can you do.
66 Mustang GT by John Wilkinson, on Flickr
66 GT by John Wilkinson, on Flickr

The warmth and depth of wax was something I had missed, maybe I’ll do some more jobs using true carnauba waxes.