autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My new car: 2002 Cadillac DTS

Wow, awesome work there Eldo! That ride sure looks nice. Always fun to see those transformations. I will have to give that dub cleaner a try sometime.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk
    2014 Toyota Venza LE-Attitude Black Metallic
    2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 - Royal Red Metallic
    2006 Honda Odyssey EXL - Slate Green Metallic

2. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Turnaround? No a resurrection! I hope the previous owner was better with mechanical maintenance than he/she was with cleaning.
    Rick....now in North Texas

4. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes BadgerRivFan, Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely stunning now, Eldo! Beautiful work on a LOT of real estate. Congratulations on the new acquisition and best of luck with it.

I have a mental list of pro's i keep as referrals...got a Porsche? Take it to Scott Harle...got a Caddie? Bring it to ELDO!!!

6. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Great turn around!
    Congratulations on the new car. They don't make them like that anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2009 Ford Fusion SEL AWD
    3.0L V6, Tein H-Tech springs, Whiteline RSB, 35% Tints, HD Lip, Magnaflow Axle Back
    2015 Ford Fusion 2.0 Ecoboost AWD

8. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the work. Projects like this so enjoyable you chase away oxidation instead of swirls and transformation is always awesome! Great job

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

10. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice! Maybe for bragging rights you should sell it back to the previous owner at a profit.

12. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your thread brought back fond memories of my ‘02 DTS. Here’s a pic from back in 2004:

Great job on the turnaround and saving a classic.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

14. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes Eldorado2k, Diner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice job. does that have the north start engine in it? I heard they were a bit of trouble. Dub is good but I prefer ultimate wheel cleaner now, a bit thicker
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

16. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My new car: 2002 Cadillac DTS

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Awesome work and write up and pictures Eldorado!

And man was that paint contaminant or what! Like how you did go over it again to control the how the first decon worked. It showed you what have been solved and not. You got it look awesome inside and out!

Congrats to your new car again.

/Tony
    Thanks! And yea, proof that an iron remover doesn’t have to stink like rotten eggs to be effective.My new car: 2002 Cadillac DTS

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Wow!

Be proud man, that was a major turnaround! That’s gotta feel really good to have done. And seriously, what a difference on the before and afters!

Was the steering wheel damaged at all after cleaning up after the cover was off? My wife bought a car that had one; under the cover there was a spot worn through the leather coating (not sure if from the cover, or just that’s why it had one).

What cutting process did you use for the rest of the car? You mention D300/M205 and FCC/M205 on the hood, which did you prefer? Are you able to share your LSP?

Do you do paint thickness measurements? Just curious.

Last - good call on replacing the emblems and pillar trims - really brought the car back to looking (better than) brand new!

Again - Awesome work! Thanks for sharing!
    Thank you! As far as the cutting process, I must say that the D300 w/microfiber pad was most effective by the slightest of margins. If you look at the after shot of the hood you might be able to see that the left side is ever so slightly sharper, but it’s so minimal that it’s not enough to bother me and I don’t plan on compounding it any further.

As far as the rest of the car: I used several different cutting pads on the rest of the horizontal panels as I was in experimental mode, I used an HD Orbital Blue Foam Cutting Pad w/FCC on the roof, and a Megs Burgundy Foam Cutting Pad on the trunklid, then I went over the roof once again with an Orange light cutting foam Boss pad, all with FCC.

The vertical panels of the car weren’t as bad, so all I did was use M205 w/Orange Lake Country HD Orbital Foam Polishing Pads and it cleaned up the paint real good and eliminated any minor swirling.

I have this paint meter, but it hasn’t been working correctly lately, I think it needs new batteries but I keep forgetting to pick some up. I didn’t take any readings figuring I was going to have to do what I had to do regardless... Plus I shouldn’t need to polish this paint again for the next 3yrs. or so maybe longer as long as I maintain it properly.My new car: 2002 Cadillac DTS

I used my favorite sealant as lsp. The 1 I always use but was never sold on AG so I don’t ever mention it.My new car: 2002 Cadillac DTS

Quote Originally Posted by hoyt66 View Post
    Really enjoyed this post. Great turn around and solid work!! Bet that car drives smooth as ever too!
    Thanks! I had a new water pump installed, along with the thermostat + everything else that goes along with that assembly to fix a minor coolant leak. So yea it’s running as it should + the new set of tires and all in all it’s smooth as can be.My new car: 2002 Cadillac DTSMy new car: 2002 Cadillac DTS

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Wow, fantastic job! Did you actually replace those B-pillar covers? Or just polished them so they looked like new? What did you finally do with the steering wheel, as oneheadlight asked? Was it damaged under there or just dirty?
    Thanks! The B Pillars really are brand new pieces. You know how some vehicles have those chrome pillars? Well I looked at those, but quickly decided against them because quite frankly they look a bit cheesy. But just like you can get chrome pillars you can also get these black acrylic pillars which are thin panels that stick on over your existing pillars. They’re specifically made for your car model so they’re an exact fit, and the adhesive is super strong. The original pillars were matt black and peeling in some areas... I wish I would’ve taken a before shot.

As far as the steering wheel: There really wasn’t anything wrong with it underneath that cover besides that little rash on the left side and alot of nasty grime which cleaned off pretty easily. Check it out now that it’s been cleaned.

I put that steering wheel cover on my other Caddy, which was in major need of a cover.My new car: 2002 Cadillac DTS

Not bad.My new car: 2002 Cadillac DTS

Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post
    The "CaddyMaster" strikes again! What an awesome turnaround on her. Headlight restoration impressed me the most. Did you sand by hand or use a buffer?
    Thanks WaxMaster! I started off sanding with the polisher, but quickly switched to hand sanding as I prefer the feel and precise control that it offers.

Quote Originally Posted by exploreco View Post
    Wow, awesome work there Eldo! That ride sure looks nice. Always fun to see those transformations. I will have to give that dub cleaner a try sometime.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk
    Thanks! And yea, I’ve been telling people for the longest, that stuff is flat out good!

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    Turnaround? No a resurrection! I hope the previous owner was better with mechanical maintenance than he/she was with cleaning.
    It’s pretty funny because while the guy was bad with the keeping it clean part, he was surprisingly better than average at maintaining it under the hood. He provided a bunch of receipts for random maintenance repairs mostly all done at the Chevy dealership.My new car: 2002 Cadillac DTS

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    Absolutely stunning now, Eldo! Beautiful work on a LOT of real estate. Congratulations on the new acquisition and best of luck with it.

I have a mental list of pro's i keep as referrals...got a Porsche? Take it to Scott Harle...got a Caddie? Bring it to ELDO!!!
    This car has the biggest windshield I’ve ever seen on a car. It’s almost like a truck sized windshield.My new car: 2002 Cadillac DTS

Thanks for the good luck wishes. I appreciate it!My new car: 2002 Cadillac DTS

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerc View Post
    Wow! Great turn around!
    Congratulations on the new car. They don't make them like that anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Thank you. And yea, this model Deville, along with the 2006-2011 DTS were the last of the largest Cadillacs they made, both measuring in at a length of 211” inches. The new CT6 measures 205” inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Breese147 View Post
    Love the work. Projects like this so enjoyable you chase away oxidation instead of swirls and transformation is always awesome! Great job

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Thanks! Yea the oxidation was no joke on this car. It was quite shocking when I 1st went to look at the car and couldn’t get even a faint reflection from the paint using my bright led flashlight... The owner laughed and said “oh don’t worry it’s dirty” I said hold on... It’s beyond just dirty! This is rare! Lol. I knew there had to be shiny paint underneath, but even I wasn’t 100% sure. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by showbbq View Post
    Very nice! Maybe for bragging rights you should sell it back to the previous owner at a profit.
    I think the previous owner would be pretty shocked to see it now.My new car: 2002 Cadillac DTS

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    Your thread brought back fond memories of my ‘02 DTS. Here’s a pic from back in 2004:

Great job on the turnaround and saving a classic.
    Awesome!My new car: 2002 Cadillac DTSMy new car: 2002 Cadillac DTSMy new car: 2002 Cadillac DTSMy new car: 2002 Cadillac DTS I love it.My new car: 2002 Cadillac DTS

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your replies.My new car: 2002 Cadillac DTS

18. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent, excellent work, pics and write up! Great transformation! Congrats on your new ride! It looks great now!

Again, superb job.
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

20. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast