autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Member Joe@Superior Shine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Epic road trip... we took our polishers!

As soon as I was able, I dried off an area and performed a test polish. This test will tell us if years of neglect was reversible and if she could be polished up to a brilliant shine.

The test went very well.

Everyone on-site was very happy with the test spot.

The AMVETS lined up for a photo before leaving. I guess that means we got the THUMBS UP!!

I headed home shortly thereafter.

Greg and a few volunteers he had assembled got started stripping off the old markings and prepping the bird to be polished sometime at a later date.

2. Likes Belo, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I now had the green light to go ahead with the bare aluminum skin polishing of the B-17. At this point, I didn't know how, with whom, or when it would be done.

My first move was to announce it on social media, Facebook and Instagram. I explained that it would be an all-volunteer group. I invited those that were interested to be on the team. I had about 35 people commit to the project. Once I had man-power in place, I secured sponsorship to cover most of the exspenses. My client Ace Clearwater, a giant in the aerospace industry, offered support as well as our friends at Lake Country Manufacturing. We also had aluminum polishing products donated for which I am very grateful. Thier products are currently not offered on Autogeek so they will go un-named.

Ace Clearwater Enterprises – ACE has the Expertise and the People

The LCM wool pads are phenomenal. You can find them at AutoGeek here - Wolfgang MetallWerk? Wool Metal Polishing Pads

A date was set......

Everything was in place.
    Team Shine's "Operation Crossroads 2018" was born!

4. Likes Jon TDS, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

About three months later, a few of us arrived at the site the evening before the project start. We found that the aircraft was washed and that most of the paint had been stripped. We had just enough day light to un-load and set up some equipment before crawling around exploring the airplane top to bottom inside and out.

Here we have -

Scott "Capt. Morgan" Gallagher,
    Paul "Dirty Santa" Sparks
    and Erik "German Erik" Walschek.

Over the years the interior had been badly vandalized. It still was very interesting to experience.

The setting sun cast a golden hue over the skins. I admired the patina but knew it would look beautiful polished up.
    The evening was quiet and peaceful. I watched the sun set. We were excited. Tomorrow was the BIG day.

6. Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Day 1, THE GRIND!! The day was beautiful. The forecast was for it to be in the upper 80s.

Of the 35 or so that said they would volunteer, only 10 actually showed up. Immediately I realized we would be seriously short-handed. Of the 10 that did show, all but one, I had work with before on other projects, WW2 aircraft and/or Air Force One.

I had the best of the best on location and we decided to tackle the job anyway.

The first thing I did was go over the polishing process with the team.

Once we were all on the same page, we geared up with high-speed rotary polishers and aggressive wool pads and got to work "grinding" off years of neglect.

Polishing aluminum isn't easy. It's very laborious, monotonous and dirty. The guys on the team were without a doubt driven by passion. I am proud of each one of them.

By the end of day 1 we had a large portion of the aircraft "cut." It was tough work and we were beat but we were making progress.

8. Likes Eldorado2k, SWETM, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Epic road trip... we took our polishers!

Great job! I see my friend Brad in a couple of those pics.Epic road trip... we took our polishers!Epic road trip... we took our polishers!

I outta get on Facebook to find out about things like this.

10. Likes Joe@Superior Shine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Day 2, MORE GRINDING!!!

It was another beautiful day even though the weather forecast was that a storm was going to roll in later that evening.

We quickly geared up and got to work with more "cutting."

In this photo, you can see a big rig driving by on the highway. Quite frequently drivers would blow their horns in support of what we were doing as they drove past.
    It always was particularly awesome when a honk of support came from a big rig air horn!

By this time we had lots of dirty wool pads. We ran them many times through the pad washer to keep us going. The pad washer is a very important piece of equipment.

We put in another 12-ish hour day to get what we could before the rain came in. We were losing the sun to darkness. By this point, most of the cutting was done.

12. Likes Eldorado2k, SWETM, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn those pics of the pad washer are Great! Lol.Epic road trip... we took our polishers! Never seen anything like that.

14. Likes SWETM, DBAILEY, derass liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Day 3... We woke up to rain. As much as we didn't like losing a day, it was actually a blessing in disguise. We were sore, tired and plain just beat. A day off would do us wonders. About half of us decided to visit the Sequoia National Park, home to the largest trees in the world. It was a little over an hour away up a mountain side and it wasn't raining there!

Chris wanted to try his hand at polishing a Sequoia!

Day 4...

It rained all day and all night. We arrived on-site to find a wet bird. Hey, at least the water beads now!

We dried what we could with mops we had on hand. The clouds soon blew out and the sun quickly dried her out.

We still had the engine cowlings and other small areas to cut. A few on the team got to grinding those areas.

The rest of the team started the highly anticapated step II in the polish process. This is where we are no longer cutting or grinding but are starting the refine polishing step. This step removes the deep machine buffer trails put in by the aggressive first step. Here is when start to bring out the brilliant shine of the aluminum.

You can see the difference in the top portion of this tail section I am polishing with my Rupes Mille.

16. Likes SWETM, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love this!!!!

18. Likes Eldorado2k, SWETM, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Day 5!!! Finishing...

Today I am excited and a bit stressed. It's the last day and we have what seems like so much work to do. We are again beat and sore but the brilliant deep shine she's giving us keeps us going.

All of us are on some level of refining and sh's looking gorgeous!!

Erik is taking care of all 4 spinners.

Part way through the day clouds roll in. We welcome the shade it provides us from the sun and makes for some seriously crazy reflection photos.

In this pic we are all SMILES.... This is the last of the polishing - FINALLY!

20. Likes SWETM, JKDesign liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast