autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My new (to me) project car

Thanks for the kind words. I am a COMPLETE new guy at this. I’ve always kept my rides clean and what not but it was with dish soap and a mop bucket with rags My new (to me) project car. Now that I know more about the proper steps and the art that is detailing, I don’t know how I survived lol. I have a LONG way to go but I am pleased so far. I look forward to trying HD speed soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes SWETM, Diner liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That parking brake looked pretty happy to see you.

4. Thanks mattmann thanked for this post
    Likes mattmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xtina View Post
    That parking brake looked pretty happy to see you.
    My new (to me) project carMy new (to me) project carMy new (to me) project car

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job! With all the effort you're putting in, it will be worth taking the wheels off to clean the backside. I don't know how similar the Z paint is to my wife's previous car, a white rogue, but it really needed a chemical decontamination too. I'm sure with how poorly the previous owner maintained this one, you'll need something like iron-x. Add a couple pads here and there as you go, and you'll soon have enough to do the whole car without stopping and a clean pad every panel will give you the best results possible.

7. Thanks mattmann thanked for this post
    Likes mattmann, Diner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    Nice job! With all the effort you're putting in, it will be worth taking the wheels off to clean the backside. I don't know how similar the Z paint is to my wife's previous car, a white rogue, but it really needed a chemical decontamination too. I'm sure with how poorly the previous owner maintained this one, you'll need something like iron-x. Add a couple pads here and there as you go, and you'll soon have enough to do the whole car without stopping and a clean pad every panel will give you the best results possible.
    Thanks man! Yeah I ALMOST bought some iron-x but didn’t. I will order some up along with pads. I never knew it takes as many pads as I used though! What’s not going to be fun is my expedition xl platinum!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, great buy on a cool car!

Nice work, I’m most impressed with those seats and underside of the hood. Obviously the last owner isn’t a member on AGO

10. Thanks mattmann thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    Wow, great buy on a cool car!

Nice work, I’m most impressed with those seats and underside of the hood. Obviously the last owner isn’t a member on AGO
    No he definitely wasn’t. I sent him before and after on the seats and he wants me to do his work truck My new (to me) project carMy new (to me) project carMy new (to me) project car

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Very impressive even if you are a newbie. I'd love to find a project car like this, especially one from the 80's or 90's.

13. Thanks mattmann thanked for this post
    Likes mattmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mattmann View Post
    Thanks man! Yeah I ALMOST bought some iron-x but didn’t. I will order some up along with pads. I never knew it takes as many pads as I used though! What’s not going to be fun is my expedition xl platinum!!!

I have an F-150 crew cab and explorer. Buy. More. Pads. Over the course of the last couple years, I've waited for good sales and buy a 6-pack every time. I'm up to about 30 and it's so nice to just pull one off the plate, toss it in a bucket of pad cleaner, and let it soak while I work, then go clean them really good when I finish up. It also makes doing test spots with multiple combos easier. After friends and family see how nice your rides are, you're going be in demand. I do my in-law's cars every year too, but that's a good trade for child care!

I use McKee's 360 and it works great for me. Use that in the spring, then in the fall I'll hit both with a good sealant (I really like McKee's Hi-Def because it's affordable, and a little goes a very long way). The explorer was pretty swirled out when I bought it and it's going to need something more aggressive this spring, but once it's done right it's not hard to keep it up with the proper goods and technique. Once you get it down, and outlay the initial expense, it will only gets easier and less expensive. Oh wait, what am I saying... after you get the paint looking good, you'll want the trim to look good, and you'll want the interior looking better, and...

Take the time to tape around the plastic trim on the ford. Cleaning product off of it is a PITA.

15. Thanks mattmann thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will do man. Thank you so much for all the advice!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast