autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2015 Impala with Gyeon Syncro (MOHS + Skin)

Well done Guz. Pretty much mirrors my experience w/ Syncro...very high hopes initially but in my case, about 5 months in the crazy, entertaining water behavior brought about with Skin has degraded to the water behavior of Mohs, which in and of itself is not the most exciting out there. Granted, the vehicle I used it one was a fleet vehicle that did not receive regular maintenance.

Curious if the Pro-Only DURAFLEX has a more durable topcoat (Flexi)?

Hopefully Gyeon continues the development of Skin and makes it an item you could buy separately cuz it really is magical when it's fresh.

2. Likes SWETM, The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, how often did you wash that car and what soap did you use? Just wondering if any of that has an adverse effect on the coating.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Well done Guz. Pretty much mirrors my experience w/ Syncro...very high hopes initially but in my case, about 5 months in the crazy, entertaining water behavior brought about with Skin has degraded to the water behavior of Mohs, which in and of itself is not the most exciting out there. Granted, the vehicle I used it one was a fleet vehicle that did not receive regular maintenance.

Hopefully Gyeon continues the development of Skin and makes it an item you could buy separately cuz it really is magical when it's fresh.
    could always top-coat it with CanCoat in order to get the crazy hydrophobic properties back.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    could always top-coat it with CanCoat in order to get the crazy hydrophobic properties back.
    Would it still be Mows at that point?

Post Thanks / Like

That'll likely be the direction it will go, may hold on off on that for a bit to see how the latest, greatest thing (Beadmaker) will do sitting on top of what now is essentially Mohs...

Mohs + CanCoat is a great combo...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Would it still be Mows at that point?
    Yes. CanCoat will simply lay on top. It goes on so super thin which makes it nice.
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Mike Phillips

Nicely done!

Excellent photography and detailed information. I also noticed you uploaded the pictures to the forum gallery. That's the way you do it.

9. Thanks The Guz thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Thanks for the follow up and review Guz!

Do you think that the mohs coating had been holding under the Skin? I know you like to try out different coatings after a year or so. But would it be worth it you think to apply a new layer of Skin with what you have left of it? Or around what time would you have done that?

I could be remembering it wrong. But mohs coating is not based on Sio2 I think. And the follow up question is if mohs coating is compatible with Gyeon Primer? There have been some that has have problems with the longevity when useing Carpro Essence and the gtechnic CSL/EXO combo over it. And CSL I think also is not a Sio2 coating. But since it's Gyeon family products they have taken care of that mohs coating is bonding properly to Gyeon Primer. It would not be interfear with the Skin maybe if mohs is not effected of Primer. And it's strange that the top coatings has lower longevity than the base coating. Would be interesting to test how it would work to do a new top coating layer of Skin down the road and how long it would last. The same if useing Carpro Gliss on one of their coatings.

Will be interesting to see what you experience with the 22ple products.

Thanks for shareing your experience with us!

/ Tony
    I am sure Mohs was still there and that is the performance I was seeing on the areas where Skin was gone. Mohs is nice but it lacks in the hydrophobic properties. Mohs needs a topper in my opinion.

Honestly this is another issue I have with Syncro. I should not have to reapply skin every few months. Skin just needs a bit of a tweak to not have to reapply it so often. Especially considering the cost for the kit.

If I wanted to add more Skin then I could have reapplied it at that 5 month mark when I noticed it starting to degrade. For me as I was testing it, it was not worth it. But for someone who is looking to try this then I would continually top the coating to get close to that 2 year mark. The hydrophobic properties of Skin are much better than Cure but Cure does not need to have a prepped surface to be used as often.

As for Primer, I am sure Gyeon has done their homework and I have to trust their chemists that their products were designed to work with each other.

Indeed a great first-hand review by Guz. My experience has been slightly different. 8 full months as of this week with Syncro on my wife's Lincoln and it's doing awesome. I have just begun testing out for my personal interests Beadmaker as an after wash detail mist so going forward that could throw things off a bit but even just prior after 12k miles her coating has been performing like day 1. Even with BM on there was no change in the contact angle of water drops so that is speaking highly of it as a detail spray I think. I did lightly decontaminate the rear hatch once due to it slightly beginning to accumulate. Typical and most common on turbos for sure. That simple process completely restored it however.

My next move is to compare Gliss 1 vs Skin vs Gliss 2 in that order on her hood. Gliss v2 is due to my door any day and when I get around to it, I'll be doing the installation. My car has Q2 Pure topped with Skin which I did back in July and it too is doing crazy good. Both are garaged but we're in the midst of winter in Ohio so snow and dalt is just around the corner.
    Thanks. Glad to hear you are having a good experience with it. I think the concept of Syncro is good. Being in the garage will help with the longevity of it.

Budget has used Gyeon Booster which is fluorine based and he can shed some light on that. This would be closer to Gliss. Speaking of Gliss, I just hit 5 months with CQUK 3.0 + Gliss V1 on my daily driver which also sits outside 24/7. As far as I can tell it is holding up fine at this point. I am waiting to see if I notice a degradation in water behavior given that CQUK 3.0 has better water behavior compared to Mohs.

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post

Thanks. I agree that Skin at the beginning is awesome. But too bad it fades rather quickly.

Selling it stand alone at this point would not be a bad thing for Gyeon.

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Mike, how often did you wash that car and what soap did you use? Just wondering if any of that has an adverse effect on the coating.
    It was washed weekly or biweekly. I don't use any shampoos with wax or gloss enhancers such as Adams or the occasional Reset. I was even using Bathe Essence at one point which is not my favorite soap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Nicely done!

Excellent photography and detailed information. I also noticed you uploaded the pictures to the forum gallery. That's the way you do it.

Thanks Mike. I use the forum photo album as long as it is working to host my photos.

11. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes Bruno Soares, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Speaking of Gliss, I just hit 5 months with CQUK 3.0 + Gliss V1 on my daily driver which also sits outside 24/7. As far as I can tell it is holding up fine at this point. I am waiting to see if I notice a degradation in water behavior given that CQUK 3.0 has better water behavior compared to Mohs.
    I'll have to check with my customer who has the LeMans Blue M5. His sits outside and has UK 3.0 and Gliss v1 on it. It's been 5 months thus far for him too. It's his daily which means lots of exposure.

13. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    So at roughly the 4 month mark I decided to try something. First off Skin has retained it's slickness after 4 months as well as it's aggressive water behavior.

I decided to use Gyeon Cure (diluted 1:1 with water) on half of the car. I used it on the entire passenger side, half the roof, half the hood and half the rear. Will see how Cure works with Syncro.

The slickness between Cure and Skin is marginal. I felt a slight increase in slickness after applying Cure.

I did the same thing on a csl and Exov3 car I got antsy and sprayed C2v3 all over my SUV what a mistake!!!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast