autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 6th Gen Camaro Paint Correction and Ceramic Coating

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    To the OP, I'm going to be respectfully straight forward. Considering you included a long term coating, I'm sure the client paid good money. How could you let a car go like this? You mentioned light swirls when the car came in. Well, there's still definitely light swirls. If I can see them in pictures on WHITE, I couldn't imagine what it would look like in person. Just thinking out loud.

agree..if I was applying coating I would make sure the car is swirl free or close..coating suppose to last long time and I can just image how it will look after coating is swirled..I always use M205 with white polishing pad and got good results..i think wool pad was bit aggressive..

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful Work!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Is it me or is i still see some swirls..great job though achieving 90% correction..cant see much imperfection in white anyways..
    Definitely some type of swirls still visible; might be marring from the wool pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Agree. I have uses 205 on purple wool and while it finishes excellent for a cutting pad it will need a final polish. More for the slight hazing but it is likely the culprit here

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Autogeekonline mobile app
    To the OP, I'm going to be respectfully straight forward. Considering you included a long term coating, I'm sure the client paid good money. How could you let a car go like this? You mentioned light swirls when the car came in. Well, there's still definitely light swirls. If I can see them in pictures on WHITE, I couldn't imagine what it would look like in person. Just thinking out loud.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpk20x View Post
    Tough crowd here! Lol

He said clients budget was for a one step. I guess the swirls bother us more than the owner. I'm sure the owner was happy and that's all that should mattet

A 1-step for a client that probably paid good money to have swirls instilled? Go with an approach that at least leaves the paint haze free. The client paid for a 1-step, and the swirls were supposedly light, so a wool pad shouldn't have been used. The owner was probably clueless, but it's just as important that the detailer puts out the best results that are possible. Also, removing more clearcoat than necessary. Doesn't matter what polish you use, a wool pad on the 3401 is very aggressive. Just some constructive criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    agree..if I was applying coating I would make sure the car is swirl free or close..coating suppose to last long time and I can just image how it will look after coating is swirled..I always use M205 with white polishing pad and got good results..i think wool pad was bit aggressive..
    You guys need to RELAX... As I stated the client and I agreed to a one step as it was in his budget. He didn't want to spend the extra $400 to make the paint 100% perfect. So I chose the best polish and pad combination that would produce the best results. I did get 90% correction... The car was swirled when it came in. Yes they were on the lighter side however this car has hard paint, so whatever was there isn't exactly easy to cut out with a one step, which is why I opted for wool and 205. The car had to be back with in a certain time frame so I didn't have time to sit there with a lighter polishing pad and make 6 passes to get the panel perfect.

There is literally one picture in my post that shows swirls and thats of the fender. There was deeper RIDS there from being wiped (by the owner I presume). The rest of the car is near flawless with the exception of RIDS here and there. Not sure if you guys noticed but the car is white making this extremely difficult to see in the sun. I had to turn the shutter speed and f-stop on my camera way to take those pics.

I clearly explained to the client that there would be some scratches here and there in the paint and they were fine with it.

I also don't agree that every single little scratch that can only be seen under a microscope must be removed before coating. Yes the paint should be in its best possible condition, but if you can get it near perfect while staying in the clients budget and ultimately meet or exceed the clients expectations I think that's all that matters.

The client was very happy and did get to see the vehicle in the sun.. sooooo.... ya.

If you guys have seen posts of my other work you would know that I can cut, polish, and coat a car to 100% perfection.

Also I believe you guys are making the argument that I installed micro marring/haze because I used a foam wool pad.. I understand why you may think that but trust me there was none. I have a very good LED lighting system. I used a warm colored LED, inspected from all angles. It finished down very well. Yes on other cars this is a very aggressive combo. But not on hard GM paint.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually don't like to chime in, however, in this case the OP did mention a one step process, he had a limited budget, he was going to do the coating and the fact that it was a white car which is a great color NOT to see the imperfections. IMO based on the parameters that were given and understood by both parties...he did an awesome job. NOT ALL jobs are going to be perfection. I also think that the OP's work is still considerably better than most other work.

Again, beautiful work and keep on rocking!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

6th Gen Camaro Paint Correction and Ceramic Coating

Has nothing to do with perfection from a 1-step. Looks like noticeable haze left behind from the wool pad. Sun doesn't lie. OP claims 90% correction. It looks nothing close to that. Just sayin'...

'03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Client happy all that matters

Ryan B.
    Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

Regardless of client/outcome/intent/results...do folks use the LC purple wool pad often? I thought that was a pretty aggressive item.

I used one once with a GG6 and M101 on a black test panel and quickly got to see what buffing thru clearcoat looked like.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You have to be careful. I will only use it when I've tested the waters with softer foam pads and less aggressive compounds/polishes. I will only use it on hard paint. Some black paints can be very hard others very soft.

That's why they say to start with the least aggressive combo first and then check results. If you find that your current combo wasn't enough cut, then you would step up to a more aggressive combo. If you find that a combo like orange and griots correcting creme or M100 still isn't enough or is taking a ton of time to get through a 2x2 section then you would step up to m101 and purple wool.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm nowhere as proficient with a wheel as others here as I'm a backyard detailer but isn't wool to be used on paint that's really "hammered"? I'm surprised something like a blue cyan LC foam pad/Meg's M101 wouldn't be called into duty here, or the equivalent?
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

First, I am really glad to see that people are posting criticisms. All too often I have read posts/write ups that look mediocre at best and still are praised on their finished result. In my opinion, that defeats the purpose of posting your work to the public. If you think you did a good job and a number of people disagree then it is time to step back and rethink your method of detailing. This sub forum isn't here to always pat you on the back and give you a participation trophy.

Second, the customer paid for a one step detail. Why not go with something like Rupes yellow on yellow, their UHS system "which is designed for hard paint", megs 205 on a white pad, an AIO, etc. You did a compounding stage and did not follow up with a clarifying polish. Easy as that. From the pictures I can see how the sun catches the left over haze. To make things worse, you sealed in those defects with a coating. While the customer will probably never notice, you decided to post your work on a public forum of detailers that know what their looking for.

With all that said, if the client is happy that is what matters. I am going to make an assumption that if he did not have white paint he would not be nearly as happy. Reevaluate your product choices next time. A Microfiber cutting pad has just as much cut as a PFW pad when used correctly but also has the ability to finish down better. This is especially true when using a compound/polish that contains a diminishing abrasive.

OP, do not get mad at people criticizing your work. Take what they have to say and reflect on your work. Other than that, I am glad the client was happy and you were satisfied.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast