autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate interiors! 2013 Grand Caravan with paint stains.

I turn away interior jobs. They hurt my knee and it's not worth it for me. A fellow LEO friend wanted to surprise his parents by having me do a mild detail on their van. He was excited for them so I agreed to do the job. Besides, there was these paint stains all over the van that I was curious about to see what, if anything, would remove them. I had also received the sample of Feynlab Ceramified (is that even a bloody word??) Sealant which I thought would be an excellent choice for this vehicle. So I agreed.

Here it is as it arrived:

I started with the wheels and tires and wells. The wheel covers were nasty with brake dust and were treated to Megs WB and some serious agitation. That was followed by Zep Citrus and a demoted wash mitt in a pail of 3D Pink soap. The tires were cleaned with Zep 505 and the wells with LATA. The wheel faces were shot with Aqua Bead afterward to give them some protection.

The van was then washed with 3D Pink soap. That was followed by Riccardo yellow clay. Neither the washing, nor the claying got rid of the stains on the paint. Here's one on the hood:

I had an idea in mind to deal with this. It had to be one step b/c this was a small job in terms of quoted time. I used my 3401 + a yellow B/S pad with Reflect and then I added about 4-6 drops of Duragloss Squeaky Clean to the existing drops on the pad. That was all worked into an area. This is a very good technique for stained paint. Here is that same section after that treatment:

As you can see, there was ZERO paint correction happening on this job. Besides, it's a bloody van. The pad would get disgusting after just one panel. Here it is in need of cleaning:

Tell you what, it did the trick! That was followed by Feynlab Sealant. It looked a wee bit better I think.

As for the interior, I used a Autoglym knock off interior pad + Optimum cleaner for the plastic bits that were stained. That was followed by a mf which was dampened with ONR and then dried. It was intensively vacuumed and the glass was done too. Nothing crazy but it still took me about 2.5 to 3 hours. There was a lot of sand to vacuum up too!

Here it is all done after 9 hours:

Thanks for looking!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I hate interiors! 2013 Grand Caravan with paint stains.

Nice one Richy!

Awh mate, c'mon - you did a great job of the interior, I tell you what though - I hear ya! My knees hear ya too! Sunscreen is what those stains are my friend. I could walk down the road here & I'm certain within the first three cars I come across, at least one will be sporting these sunscreen stains. I see them all the time, & some people get a little panicked when they notice them but even a good AIO will sort them no problem.

Ceramified! Awesome. I live by my theory that, if you can spell it & say it, then its a word.

Fantastic work anyhow Richy! Thanks for sharing!

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Nice recovery buddy. I'm sure they were thrilled with it. I'm with you on hating interiors as well. Especially the vacuuming, ugh!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    Nice one Richy!

Awh mate, c'mon - you did a great job of the interior, I tell you what though - I hear ya! My knees hear ya too! Sunscreen is what those stains are my friend. I could walk down the road here & I'm certain within the first three cars I come across, at least one will be sporting these sunscreen stains. I see them all the time, & some people get a little panicked when they notice them but even a good AIO will sort them no problem.

Ceramified! Awesome. I live by my theory that, if you can spell it & say it, then its a word.

Fantastic work anyhow Richy! Thanks for sharing!

Aaryn NZ.
    Thanks very much Aaryn! Your criteria for a word being official is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Nice recovery buddy. I'm sure they were thrilled with it. I'm with you on hating interiors as well. Especially the vacuuming, ugh!
    Thanks Don. I'm going to call tomorrow night to see what they thought of it.

Post Thanks / Like

As always, awesome job my friend!

Kyle

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone hates interiors, but most people appreciate a detailed interior 10x more than near-perfect paint. I'm always looking for ways to speed it up. Do you use any high end tools - tornador, steam, extractor?

Post Thanks / Like

Great turn around!!!

Post Thanks / Like

That interior looks good. Great trick for cleaning the paint. Another great post, thank you for sharing.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Post Thanks / Like

Major turnaround! Everything looks great and I am sure the owners were thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Mccracken View Post
    Everyone hates interiors, but most people appreciate a detailed interior 10x more than near-perfect paint. I'm always looking for ways to speed it up. Do you use any high end tools - tornador, steam, extractor?
    My issue with them is cleaning the windshield. It always looks perfect when I'm done, but 3-4 weeks later I start seeing streaks in the right lighting.
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sicoupe View Post
    As always, awesome job my friend!

Kyle
    Thanks very much Kyle! I always appreciate you taking the time to comment my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Mccracken View Post
    Ernie, yes, I have a Mytee Lite extractor which is great. This was not a big time/money job, so I had to use the tools that would take the least amount of time and give the biggest bang for the buck. The carpets weren't badly stained enough to warrant using it. My biggest issue with interiors is the physical pain I suffer doing them. I don't care what tool it is, bending down and loading up my knees just bloody hurts. Hence why I don't do them.

Quote Originally Posted by SKorch630 View Post
    Great turn around!!!
    Thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mike View Post
    That interior looks good. Great trick for cleaning the paint. Another great post, thank you for sharing.
    Thanks Mike. I use it often, especially on white and silver paint.

Quote Originally Posted by JDGolden View Post
    Major turnaround! Everything looks great and I am sure the owners were thrilled.

My issue with them is cleaning the windshield. It always looks perfect when I'm done, but 3-4 weeks later I start seeing streaks in the right lighting.
    Thank you. The key I have found for glass is the mf used to remove and give the final wipe down. Check out this review I did 5 years ago about a specific glass cleaning mf. There is still NOTHING that tops it IMO. The KD is a Canadian product, but CarPro sells a version called Fast Glass.

KD Cloth: Glass cleaning mf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast