autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

2016 F250 Platinum in for spring cleaning

This vehicle was in for a detail back in October. Maine winters take their toll on any LSP with the salt and snow, but Collinite 845 held up remarkably well. My uncle (who owns this truck) certainly does his share of traveling with it in the winter, so it was time for another deep clean.

Nothing too fancy this time, just a simple interior/exterior detail.

Before:

Process

Wheels and rims where cleaned using Super Degreaser and 3D BDX. Wheel wells were scrubbed using a fender brush and Super Degreaser. The front wells are carpeted so they didn’t clean up as well as I had hoped. Suspension components and underside of the body panels were shot with super degreaser and then scrubbed as well. Tires and wells were dressed using CarPro Perl 2:1 once the project was finished.

Super Degreaser was used to pre-soak the lower body panels. The two bucket method, the CarPro wool wash mitt, and a detail brush were used with Mr. Pink to clean the paint, badging and lettering.

Notice the Excavator working in the background! He approached me for a detail on his 2500 Denali Dually. Nothing on the books yet, but there may be something coming once he finishes spreading loam on my yard.

I had purchased Mothers speed Clay 2.0 on a whim a few weeks back and decided to give it a try. Using a quick detailer, I broke in the clay “bar” on the windows as suggested. Overall, it seemed to work well, but I felt like there were still contaminates that were left behind. I didn’t follow up with a traditional clay bar as I was running out of time, but this will be something I test in the future. My uncle did take this truck through a few off-road adventures, but I think this may have marred the paint slightly.

Once clayed, I followed up with Collinite 845 applied used my GG6 and a red Lake Country ThinPro 5.5” pad. This was a giant time saver for me, as I had 1.5 hours left and I still needed to do the full interior, remove the LSP, windows, and one final vac.

Interior was cleaned using various interior detailing brushes and Megs D101. Floor mats were scrubbed using D101 and pressure washed to remove any extra filth that could be removed. Seats and arm resets were cleaned in the same manner as the other interior components followed by Griots Leather Care.

Carpets were so well covered by the weathertech floormats that they only needed a quick vac and a few spot treatments,

Glass and chrome elements were cleaned using Megs D120, using traditional microfiber towels.

The final product:

Things I have learned from this experience:
    1. Never under estimate how long a job will take.
    2. There is a lot of freakin’ real estate on this vehicle.
    3. Collinite 845 looks dang good on this color (bronze fire) ��.

This plan is to continue the 6 month details along with a few maintenance washes sprinkled throughout the year as needed. My uncle plans to keep this truck for the foreseeable future and wants it maintained, which I am in favor of and not just because he is paying me!

I moved into my new house in January and got a paved driveway a few weeks ago, so let the detailing begin! I can finally use my own space as I want, I just need to figure out what to do with it. Recommendations for shop lights?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2016 F250 Platinum in for spring cleaning

Beautiful truck, great job on the post winter clean up looks great. Those seats look beautiful too.

Post Thanks / Like

The truck looks great! That is definitely a big job! Congrats on the new place too...For lights I have 3 halogen flood lights, 2 on a stand and 1 on the floor, the cheapest option from Amazon but I'm upgrading this week to LEDs mounted on the ceiling of my garage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    The truck looks great! That is definitely a big job! Congrats on the new place too...For lights I have 3 halogen flood lights, 2 on a stand and 1 on the floor, the cheapest option from Amazon but I'm upgrading this week to LEDs mounted on the ceiling of my garage.
    Thank you! I will probably go with LED shop lights. My in-laws have some that are really nice, but I don't know what the best option is for detailing. I have contemplated some recessed lighting along the left and back walls which will act as my primary lighting when not detailing and then having the LEDs on a separate switch so I can turn them on when I need the extra light. The garage is just a shell at this point, still need to run additional electrical, insulate, heat, and sheet rock. I will try to document the progress on it once I decide what I am going to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice truck and color, looks great. I'm supposed to do a new F-150 in the same color, hope my results are as good as yours!
    Tim 2014 Ram 1500 2005 Triumph Tiger
    FLICKR Instagram