autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2016 ATS-V, 2-Step Correction, CQuartz Finest Coating, and Wheels Off Coating

2016 ATS-V, 2-Step Correction, CQuartz Finest Coating, and Wheels Off Coating

I love this car, especially in this color! The owner of this beauty contacted me back in June and our schedules finally aligned to get this thing dialed in and protected. This girl had been on display at an auto show prior to being sold so as expected it had a fair amount of swirls and RIDS, some of which couldn’t be safely removed. Overall I was very happy with the correction and what RIDS remained were diminished to the point where they would be hard to spot.

Process:

Wash – Meguiar’s Hyper Wash and natural lambs wool mitt
    Wheels – Sonax FE+ Wheel Cleaner & various brushes.
    Tires - Cleaned with Megs D143 and Tuf-Shine brush. Dressed with Megs Hyper Dressing 3:1
    Decon – IronX
    Paint Prep – Griot’s Fast Surface Prep Mitt and Glide as lube
    Paint Correction – Griot’s Fast Correct on the G15 with Griot`s MF BOSS pads followed by Optimum Hyper Polish on the G15 with yellow BOSS pads. Tight areas were done with the Flex PE14, Megs G110v2, and Rupes Nano.
    Glass – Megs D120 and Griot’s PFM glass towels
    Exhaust tips - Optimum Metal Polish
    Coating Prep – Eraser/IPA
    Coating – 2 Coats CQuartz Finest

Pics

50/50, door was compounded

There were a lot of sharp edges and tight areas on this vehicle which required the use of a rotary with 1”, 2” and 3” pads

Fenix PD35

Thanks for looking,
    Rasky
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2016 ATS-V, 2-Step Correction, CQuartz Finest Coating, and Wheels Off Coating

Damn that looks great Chad! Impeccable work!

You mentioned wheels off coating. Was Finest used here? I image the exterior trim such as front and rear spoiler received Finest as well.

Thanks for taking the time to share. Really enjoyed looking at the beautiful paint on this car.

That last picture is the "Money Shot"!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2016 ATS-V, 2-Step Correction, CQuartz Finest Coating, and Wheels Off Coating

Wow, looks great!

So many V-specific pieces on that car, just out of curiousity, what was the hood made out of?

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing work. MT recently did a Head-to-Head with ATSV and I think a BMW M4(?)... Love this car.
    The V6 doesn't give the v8 roar one would expect but it can still put the power down and do nicely in the curves!
    Great car! Awesome job!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Damn that looks great Chad! Impeccable work!

You mentioned wheels off coating. Was Finest used here? I image the exterior trim such as front and rear spoiler received Finest as well.

Thanks for taking the time to share. Really enjoyed looking at the beautiful paint on this car.

That last picture is the "Money Shot"!
    Thanks Mike! I actually used Crystal Serum Light on the wheels. Typically I used OCP but I was out and I just hate using Finest on them as it's so much more time consuming. Everything else received Finest though.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    Amazing work. MT recently did a Head-to-Head with ATSV and I think a BMW M4(?)... Love this car.
    The V6 doesn't give the v8 roar one would expect but it can still put the power down and do nicely in the curves!
    Great car! Awesome job!!!!
    Thank you! Yeah, definitely doesn't have that sound but it's decent, at least on start up.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Wow, looks great!

So many V-specific pieces on that car, just out of curiousity, what was the hood made out of?
    Thanks man! I believe the hood is carbon fiber. It had a noticeably different texture to the paint and my PTG couldn't read it.
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?

Post Thanks / Like

Car looks awesome, love the color too. Nice photos, really like the shot of the front end from the elevated position (ladder?)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I believe the hood is carbon fiber. It had a noticeably different texture to the paint and my PTG couldn't read it.
    Thanks, interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

For the hood, it is indeed Carbon Fiber. If you look on the vehicles website it lists it as Carbon fiber. Halfway down the page under the exterior section.

Either way, it came out great!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    For the hood, it is indeed Carbon Fiber. If you look on the vehicles website it lists it as Carbon fiber. Halfway down the page under the exterior section.
    Thanks, I was merely musing over all the V-specific parts on that car, and how GM does that for a model variant that probably accounts for maybe 1000 units a year. Just comparing website pictures, it would seem to have specific front and rear bumpers, grille, hood, rocker panels, and possibly the rear valence and trunk lid. The rear spoiler is optional on other ATS models so that and the trunk lid may not be unique to the V. And of course that doesn't include the V-specific interior and mechanical parts.

The yearly ATS production is only about 20-25,000, so it's not a high volume car to begin with. I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse to be making dozens of trim-specific parts for the V. However the base price on the V is $25,000 higher than the base ATS, so I guess that would pay for a lot of special parts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Thanks, I was merely musing over all the V-specific parts on that car, and how GM does that for a model variant that probably accounts for maybe 1000 units a year. Just comparing website pictures, it would seem to have specific front and rear bumpers, grille, hood, rocker panels, and possibly the rear valence and trunk lid. The rear spoiler is optional on other ATS models so that and the trunk lid may not be unique to the V. And of course that doesn't include the V-specific interior and mechanical parts.

The yearly ATS production is only about 20-25,000, so it's not a high volume car to begin with. I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse to be making dozens of trim-specific parts for the V. However the base price on the V is $25,000 higher than the base ATS, so I guess that would pay for a lot of special parts.
    Not sure if the piano black window trim is only on the V series or not but it sucks polishing that too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast