autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2011 Sierra 2500HD

Just want to share my experience with a really, really, rough shape Sierra. I'm a weekend warrior detailer; more of a hobby right now just experimenting with different products and honing my skills. A friend of mine just purchased this truck and was interested in improving the paint finish for as cheap as possible.

My plan of action was wash / clay / polish / wax. This truck certainly could've used a multi-step correction but that was far outside the price he was willing to spend.

I used a GG6 with Orange LC flat pads and Megs M205. Some really rough areas (including the entire tailgate) I attacked with Megs Ultimate Compound and Megs Burgundy Foam Cutting Discs before M205. I was looking for the most cut and best finish as I really wanted to go over this truck once. One thing that surprised me was that I was expecting the UC and Foam Cutting Discs to correct significantly more than LC Orange / M205. But the difference wasn't as drastic as I'd expected. Plus the UC step left behind a slight haze. Finished off with a coat of Ultimate Liquid Wax.

Nonetheless, the hardest part for me this time was being okay with not making it perfect. I believe the outcome far exceeded his expectations. That little feeling knowing you could make it even better is hard to suppress though. But the time and the money didn't warrant it.

I apologize for the poor lighting. Much of this was done in the evening hours, and it was raining out so I couldn't take any pictures outside of the garage.

Post Thanks / Like

re: 2011 Sierra 2500HD

Nice work.....funny thing...before I read your write-up....I was thinking to myself...looks like a job for M205...since ULW is actually a sealant.....and chance you'd sell the customer a topper...say maybe Pinnacle SSII or even...dare I say...Chemical Guys Petes 53?

Post Thanks / Like

How much time did you spend on it?
    Looks really good I bet your friend was really happy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Nice work.....funny thing...before I read your write-up....I was thinking to myself...looks like a job for M205...since ULW is actually a sealant.....and chance you'd sell the customer a topper...say maybe Pinnacle SSII or even...dare I say...Chemical Guys Petes 53?
    I've really been surprised at the flexibility of M205, I feel like I put it's correction ability to the test with this one. Funny you mention it too, I've been curious about topping with an actual wax. I've had really good results with ULW for longevity, especially for a widely available product with a low price point. The only problem with layering products is, to my understanding, you should wait at least 12 hours before applying a wax over a sealant; time I did not have. I recently tried ULW with Pinnacle Liquid Souveran on a black Mercedes with great results, after letting ULW polymers "set" overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by SSStang View Post
    How much time did you spend on it?
    Looks really good I bet your friend was really happy
    It was about 12 hours total. His wife's response was "it looks really shiny!" Seemed well received, haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Really great job. Nice turn around. I wonder if a micro fiber pad and the M205 would have worked as well. Regardless, great work.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work!!!

But it's a GMC Sierra

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike33175 View Post
    Excellent work!!!

But it's a GMC Sierra
    looks like a duramax ....

Post Thanks / Like

Hyper combo would of worked nice with some micro pads.But like you said there's a cutoff point and it looks fabulous .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike33175 View Post
    Excellent work!!!

But it's a GMC Sierra
    Yikes! I don't know why, I had Silverado on my mind. Perhaps a moderator can edit it...

Quote Originally Posted by Thenissanguy View Post
    looks like a duramax ....
    Gas job, unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

Next time you get a one step type thing like this, I'd suggest the Rupes blue pads and Rupes blue polish, cuts very well and finishes down extremely well. Great job on the truck regardless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast