autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what a triple coat of Gloss Coat looks like: my wife's 2011 Durango

I had a last minute cancellation for this weekend, so I decided to do my wife's Durango which has been ignored for far too long. I didn't plan on doing a write up for it so I did not shoot any before shots at all. The paint was in pretty decent shape other than some bird poop etching and several chips that needed filling. I ended up doing a 3 step process of TB black wool + M100 followed by yellow B/S + M205 followed by Essence + Car Pro Gloss pad. All polishing done with the 3401. Why 3 steps? Why not. I had a 3 day weekend (in on Afternoons on Monday, so I had some time today to finish it) and wanted to make it look great for her. I was deciding on what coating to use and I realized that I had never tried triple coating Gloss Coat yet. Yvan says 2 coats are more than enough. Ya, well, once I thought of trying it, I just had to. The wheels were hand polished with M205 and a mf.

So, the paint, head and tail lights and side glass were triple coated with GC. I had done the trim with DLux a few months ago, so it still looked amazing and is still beading like crazy. The wheels were double coated. The rear window got Fly by 30 double coat and the windshield got a Forte double coat. Opti Seal was applied to the paint, head and tail lights, wheels and side and rear glass. The tires were shot with Opti Bond from my air gun. I didn't keep track of the time, although I did go through 4 or 5 cigars over the 3 days.

Here it is all done. The inside shots are before Opti Seal and before the wheels were polished and coated and before tires dressed. Outside shots are all done.

This blackberry colour has amazing flake:

The question is: was doing the 3rd coat worth it? I'd say yes. The gloss was off the charts and it was so smooth. The second coat of GC always seems to add a significance to the finish, and I do believe that it was increased a bit with the 3rd. A lot? Nope, but some for sure. I'll say it this way which is honest: if I were doing it for my own car, absolutely I would but I don't think I could justify it for a paying customer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: This is what a triple coat of Gloss Coat looks like: my wife's 2011 Durango

Awesome

Post Thanks / Like

Gloss coat is awesome I have just a single coat on my sequoia and it always looks clean and glossy, even when it hasn't been washed for a month

Post Thanks / Like

That looks amazing, and the flake is off the charts. I'm guessing the wife's a teacher?

Post Thanks / Like

Very glossy, great work!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great Richy! Looks like glass.

Did you see any difference in gloss after each layer?
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful!!!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work, I hope your wife appreciates the hard work. That finish last looks much better than most cars that are on a new car showroom floor. Please post us some updates in the winter months to see how the coatings are looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Paint looks amazing Richy! Flawless without question.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    Why 3 steps? Why not. I had a 3 day weekend (in on Afternoons on Monday, so I had some time today to finish it) and wanted to make it look great for her.
    This is key. Happy Wife = Happy Life

But seriously nice work. The color of the car looks great. The gloss looks great. A triple coat. Perhaps I will try that on my own personal car. Glad to see you having fun and liking gloss coat after asking about it a few months ago.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast