autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 58' GMC Pick-Up Restoration - ORIGINAL paint!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Beautiful work!

Also a VERY rare opportunity now days to get to actually work on a project like this with the original paint. Original single stage paint is REAL paint. That is it's resin with pigment. Modern clearcoats are basically plastic and in my opinion not as much fun to work on as restoring the original paint on a classic like this.

After you and your sister did the restoration, if the owners will now simply lightly polish and wax this classic truck once in a while this paint will easily last another 60 years.

Definitely some bragging rights with this project.

Well done.

Thank you for the feedback Mike. This was definitely a fun one to work on - and maybe it was just in my head, but this paint definitely seemed to have a luster to it that was different than the clear coat's we typically work on. We set the owner up with some good waterless/rinseless supplies and instructions. When it came back to our shop a year later it had a few spots that needed light polishing up top, but it was just quick touch up work. I'm pretty confident they'll be doing their part to make sure it lasts another 60 years

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    I am so glad to see you guys posting again and even happier that your business has grown dramatically. This GMC truck is one for the history books....the hard work, dedication, detailed write up, and the final product speak volumes to your skills......BOTH of you.

Your response to the 800 lb chauvinist in the room shows both class and breeding. That is something the recipient of your retort will never possess.
    So glad you guys all still remember me! I know i dont get to post as much as I use to but I'm trying to pop my head in here and there when i can! I guess I set sort of a bench mark with my past posts so I dont want to come in and just do a halfway kind of a write up...I want to make sure i can take the time needed to do it right

Lol, 800 lbs chauvinist is a good description...i try to keep it classy as much as possible but things like that I refuse to stay quite about...great to see so much support for my stance on that as much as for the initial post itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Ditto. I noticed we hadn't seen any write-ups recently. I always looked forward to the huge number of pictures documenting the process.

I also noticed the work area looks to be more of an actual commercial garage vs their home bushiness location with a lot more room. Happy to see their success.
    Just busy buddy, but we're still here! The first several pictures in this write up was in the owners garage, but the last few with the race deck tile is our new shop. Crazy we've been here a bit over a year already...time flies.
    Wills - Windows & Wheels Auto Detailing Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 58' GMC Pick-Up Restoration - ORIGINAL paint!

Quote Originally Posted by natewood70 View Post
    Tactful? Really? I just want to remind you of some of the highlights in the post that seemed to get under many respondents skin (I'm taking these directly from the post, so take them for what they are worth):

1. "Does this kind of job only for men"

2. "Terrible & even scary to see women do this kinds of jobs"

3. "But working on a car, polishing paint & chemical dust is not a girls business"

That is not at all tactful. That is flat out saying you feel a woman shouldn't do this kind of job, and it is only meant for men no matter how you cut it.

Mike, I appreciate your approach to this situation, but no matter how you spin this it was not called for and some see it as an attack on a member/non-member (Rule #15).

I get that people will have different view points, and I FULLY embrace that, but allowing this to be accepted when it is something negative is a problem in my eyes.

Imagine if someone were to replace some of the words referring to women with another cultural or religious word/group (I should mention that this same poster has gone after a specific group in a past post), would we still chalk that up to accepting a difference of opinions? Is that really what is acceptable by the moderators and by extension AutoGeek? I wouldn't think so, but it's food for thought.

I guess you could say I'm breaking a rule by debating with moderators or administrators (Rule #2), but I see it as disagreeing and being polite (Rule #3).

So whatever consequences AG wants to hand out for me pushing back, so be it. But seeing someone who has contributed so much to our forum (or anyone else for that matter) have his family and business partner criticized because of gender is not something that is okay.
    Really appreciate your support here man. Your last sentence pretty much sums it up to me. I know people are going to think what they want to think, but as Lewis Black said..."He should have thought whatever he wanted - and then shut the hell up" - as in, not actually being stupid enough to vocalize it!

My sis just walked in to show me the before and after pics she did of this black Kia we're working on....#bosslady im tellin' ya lol!
    Wills - Windows & Wheels Auto Detailing Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345