autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing Simoniz Glass Coat in 10 seconds - 2015 Range Rover - Paint Correction - Attention to Detailing Peoria

Just wanted to share a brief tutorial on how we removed Simoniz Glasscoat from this 2015 Range Rover.

... that's all there is to it!

A little humor to start your day... Simoniz Glasscoat isn't known for being a great product around here. I have never used it, but it is pushed hard at dealerships in our area where customers will pay $700-$1200 (from what I have been told) for application of this product to their paint. After speaking with a couple guys who were "certified Simoniz installers", their process simply consists of wiping the coating onto a car when a customer pays for that service... one that was likely already waxed upon arrival to the dealership. So there is no decontamination, no polishing, no solvent wipe... none of that stuff. Just 30 minutes of work to wipe the coating on in most cases.

When I was doing the initial cleaning on the vehicle, I noticed something pretty cool. I removed the license plate cover before washing, and during the pressure rinse, it was easy to see the area that had been covered by the license plate & mounting bracket repelled water like crazy, but the areas immediately around it showed no signs of beading or sheeting. Perhaps Simoniz would hold up much better on the entire car if the vehicle was properly prepped before application. Keep in mind this car is just 1 year old.

In the end, the vehicle needed a multi-step paint correction to restore the paint. We used Griot's Garage BOSS Fast Correcting Cream on a Correcting Pad followed by Essence on a Yellow Rupes Pad. Great results!

The vehicle was then covered with GTechniq Crystal Serum Light for added protection and gloss (watch in HD).

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing Simoniz Glass Coat in 10 seconds - 2015 Range Rover - Paint Correction - Attention to Detailing Peoria

nice work, would be interesting to see how one of the popular consumer paint coatings would hold up if there was no special prep beforehand.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing Simoniz Glass Coat in 10 seconds - 2015 Range Rover - Paint Correction - Attention to Detailing Peoria

I didn't watch the video, but I'm not sure I'm understanding--are you saying that the area behind the plate wasn't coated? Or wasn't waxed before it was coated? Are you saying the coating was still there and it came off the rest of the car?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 04accord View Post
    nice work, would be interesting to see how one of the popular consumer paint coatings would hold up if there was no special prep beforehand.
    I've done some testing applying a few consumer coatings directly on top of a polished panel (using M205 for polish, then wiping very well with a clean towel, but no IPA step), and in every case the surface was still very hydrophobic after 1 year. Then I sold the car, so testing was stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I didn't watch the video, but I'm not sure I'm understanding--are you saying that the area behind the plate wasn't coated? Or wasn't waxed before it was coated? Are you saying the coating was still there and it came off the rest of the car?
    I have no idea of knowing what was done behind the plate. It would be my assumption that it had a coating applied based on the hydrophobic behavior. Lack of beading on the rest of the vehicle is not a true indication of coating failure, but we would expect any quality coating to still exhibit some hydrophobic activity after this short period of time. If the vehicle was waxed prior to coating application, it is certainly possible the coating never properly bonded and is in fact gone. If it was not waxed, then the hydrophobic properties were just very short lived, which is not impressive given the price paid for these services.

Post Thanks / Like

Great job as always Zach!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Good write up Zach. My wife bought a brand new Mazda CX-5 in January and it had the Simoniz coating on it. If they didn't sell her that particular car it was going to be a showroom demo, so she didn't pay for the coating (they charge 700 for it), but the first time I washed it I noticed how little beading and sheeting there was. Maybe time for a new layer of protection and consider the coating a wash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen any vehicles that had
    been Waxed at the OEMs' factory...
    prior to being delivered to Dealerships.

But...then again:
    Stranger things have happened.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Great job as always Zach!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ekennett View Post
    Good write up Zach. My wife bought a brand new Mazda CX-5 in January and it had the Simoniz coating on it. If they didn't sell her that particular car it was going to be a showroom demo, so she didn't pay for the coating (they charge 700 for it), but the first time I washed it I noticed how little beading and sheeting there was. Maybe time for a new layer of protection and consider the coating a wash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yep, unfortunately I haven't found a dealership who takes the time to do it the right way... this coating may be nice, but without proper care and install, I doubt it will ever live up to what they claim it "should" do.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    I've never seen any vehicles that had
    been Waxed at the OEMs' factory...
    prior to being delivered to Dealerships.

But...then again:
    Stranger things have happened.

Bob
    My wording wasn't too clear, but I didn't say it was waxed at the factory... I was told by the dealership detailer that the cars were waxed upon arriving to the dealership as part of the new car prep, and if it was later decided that Simoniz would be installed, it was done over the existing wax.

Post Thanks / Like

When I bought my new car, they called it the Simoniz paint protection instead of a glass coating. Not sure if it's the same thing you're talking about here but the dealership talked about it lasting for a full year with each treatment and super protection, etc etc etc. Wanted an extra 1300 (Canadian) or so for it. I looked at that and just said no thanks.. for 1300 I can get a new car prep with cquartz finest or modesta on it. I didn't think they'd advertise it as a glass coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    My wording wasn't too clear, but I didn't say it was waxed at the factory... I was told by the dealership detailer that the cars were waxed upon arriving to the dealership as part of the new car prep, and if it was later decided that Simoniz would be installed, it was done over the existing wax.
    Optimum is selling a pro coating that is intended to protect cars on the dealer lot...I wonder how that is going for them.

"Optimum Paint Guard is a ceramic paint coating designed to protect car dealer inventory by reducing wash induced marring from lot washers, and preventing damage from bird lime acid etching and other corrosive substances...Optimum Paint Guard is applied to the vehicle's paint work as the new stock is received and prepared for display."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast