autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Buffing very hard clear

I'm having a heck of a time with getting the final finish I want with Tamco 2021 Clear.
    One is a roof panel on a 53 Hudson sedan that was base coated and cleared about 3 months ago. The other is
    a Toyota Tacoma hood that was sprayed less than 24 hours ago. Same issue with both, buffing the clear is like
    buffing granite!
    color sanded with 600, 1000, 1500 grit disc then , 2000, 3000 grit Abralon using water for lube.
    The color sanding portion goes fine.
    On the Hudson roof --
    I started buffing using a Metabo 4.5" Rotary buffer and wool pad with Presta step one buffing compound. Went to
    foam cutting pad with same compound. Got some cut but was a lot of work and time and could still see fine sand scratches.
    Look great a few feet away but under fluorescent lighting I could see the scratches.
    Switched to Menzerna heavy Cut Compound 400 - tried both wool pad and Lake Country orange pad, some what better but
    still like polishing granite. Better but not there yet. Got Jessie to send me some 300, a hair better but still a #####!
    On the Toyota new clear-
    600, 1000, 1500 grit finishing film, switched to 3m purple finishing film with water and seemed to make some headway.
    then 2000, 3000 abralon wet. Then Merzerna 300 / 400 / SF3500. Good enough for a wet look shine but at real close
    distance in the right light, I can still see micro scratches.
    Tired and week kneed at this point.
    Advice???
    Thanks!
    Kerr

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buffing very hard clear

You'd probably get better mileage, answers to your questions, if you post this in the "Auto Detailing 101" sub-forum right above this sub forum from the main page. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

There is 5000 grit sandpaper that might make a dent in the scratches from the 3000 grit, which would then allow easier compounding since you would be working on finer sanding scratches.

I'm not familiar with the compound you mentioned, but my toughest compounding jobs get the Flex rotary with a wool pad and Meguiars M101 (it's an "off-label" used for M101 to use it with a wool pad). It might take 2 or 3 runs at it, cleaning the pad and adding some fresh compound each time.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to say that I had color sanded with 4000 grit last before buffing.
    Well I finally broke down and bought a Flex 3401 (Jessie at auto geek) and want to say what a good handling machine it is.
    After reading about some that complained about the reverse rotation affecting handling, I was wondering if I made the right choice. Found I had no problem picking it right up and going the first time.
    I went with the yellow cutting pad and menzerna 400. Not much different results than using the rotary buffer.
    Then I decided to slow the speed to "4" instead of 5 or 6. Noticed an immediate difference in cutting. Did the roof using speed 4, yellow cutting pad and merzana 400, two reps of 7 passes each time did the trick. Cleaned the pad after every 3 reps. Went to merzana 3500 and got a mirror finish.
    Really happy with the Flex 3401.

Post Thanks / Like

Grab some scholl's xxl

Post Thanks / Like

As you found out faster isn't always better when it comes to machine speed and that can also be said for arm speed.

glad to hear you wee able to get great results
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page