autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

First Detail - Red Chevy Cruze

Hey everyone,

This is actually my first post ever on AGO. I wanted to share my work I did this past Sunday on a Red Chevy Cruze (2014 if i'm not mistaken). I did a scratch removal (some too deep to actually remove) and did an application of wax to follow. The paint was in pretty bad shape looking at it all around, but I had to do what was requested which was to do the best possible at removing the scratches and do a wax application.

I am brand new to detailing and am looking forward to expanding my curiosity and knowledge. So with that said, I'm so far limited on what products I carry to begin with. Here is a step-by-step list of what I did:

-Wash w/ Meguiars Gold Class Soap
    -Dried
    -Decontamination w/ Meguiars Clay
    -Compounding stage w/ Meguiars UC finished down with UP
    -IPA wipe down
    -Wax (Meguiars Gold Class)

During the compounding stage I used a 5.5 in. white hexlogic pad on a test spot to see how the paint would respond. Wasn't aggressive enough so moved to a Meguiars 6 in. MF Cutting Disc w/ amazing results. Finished off with a white hexlogic pad and UP followed by the IPA wipe down. I forgot to mention I have a TorqX DA Polisher which was used.

Below are some pics of the before and after results. Let me know how it looks and thanks for looking! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated btw.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Detail - Red Chevy Cruze-20160522_122931-500x281-jpg   First Detail - Red Chevy Cruze-20160522_115117-500x281-jpg   First Detail - Red Chevy Cruze-20160522_115112-500x281-jpg   First Detail - Red Chevy Cruze-20160522_115104-500x281-jpg   First Detail - Red Chevy Cruze-20160522_171123-500x281-jpg   First Detail - Red Chevy Cruze-20160522_171107-500x281-jpg   First Detail - Red Chevy Cruze-20160522_180817-500x281-jpg   First Detail - Red Chevy Cruze-20160522_180521-500x281-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Detail - Red Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by obihave12 View Post
    Hey everyone,

This is actually my first post ever on AGO. I wanted to share my work I did this past Sunday on a Red Chevy Cruze (2014 if i'm not mistaken). I did a scratch removal (some too deep to actually remove) and did an application of wax to follow. The paint was in pretty bad shape looking at it all around, but I had to do what was requested which was to do the best possible at removing the scratches and do a wax application.

I am brand new to detailing and am looking forward to expanding my curiosity and knowledge. So with that said, I'm so far limited on what products I carry to begin with. Here is a step-by-step list of what I did:

-Wash w/ Meguiars Gold Class Soap
    -Dried
    -Decontamination w/ Meguiars Clay
    -Compounding stage w/ Meguiars UC finished down with UP
    -IPA wipe down
    -Wax (Meguiars Gold Class)

During the compounding stage I used a 5.5 in. white hexlogic pad on a test spot to see how the paint would respond. Wasn't aggressive enough so moved to a Meguiars 6 in. MF Cutting Disc w/ amazing results. Finished off with a white hexlogic pad and UP followed by the IPA wipe down. I forgot to mention I have a TorqX DA Polisher which was used.

Below are some pics of the before and after results. Let me know how it looks and thanks for looking! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated btw.
    Looks like you did well with the gear and products you have. If this is what you're doing now as brand new, you are going to really be making people happy down the road. Well done! The megs twins do very well and you proved it here. Love the color of the car. Nice one to start off with for sure.

How were you pads as you made your way through the compounding....dirty? If so the only insight I have would be for you to perhaps also look at investing in CarPro's Iron-X. Clay Bar does really well at removing surface contaminents and Iron-X will help remove any embedded metals that could make their way into the paint substrate over time and rust. CarPro TRIX also removes tar and other dirt that might be found on a pad if the car is contaminated. The cleaner the pads the better and easier the results. Not to mention longer lasting pads and a cleaner overall working surface for which to apply the efforts.

Otherwise, nice job!
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! And yes, I just recently developed a passion for detailing and love the hard work and results you can get.

I have heard great things about Iron-X and will definitely be getting that on my next purchase. The pads were actually not too dirty after the few passes I made. Just some obvious residue from the spent product and clear coat. I was fortunate to have an air compressor to blow out the MF pads I used which made cleaning in between passes A LOT easier.

I did purchase HD Adapt and can't wait to test it out when I receive it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by obihave12 View Post
    I did purchase HD Adapt and can't wait to test it out when I receive it!
    ^^ that and an Orange Pad will negate the need for the Megs Twins.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work......one question.....you started with UC on a white Hexlogic, and it did was not aggessive enough....did you try an orange Hexlogic pad also...or go straight to the Megs MF cutting disc?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Very nice work......one question.....you started with UC on a white Hexlogic, and it did was not aggessive enough....did you try an orange Hexlogic pad also...or go straight to the Megs MF cutting disc?
    I did try an orange pad on one area, but it seemed to "walk" on the panel I worked on. I had no issues at all with the MF disc and was able to utilize that better around the curvatures of the panels I did.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    ^^ that and an Orange Pad will negate the need for the Megs Twins.
    I will show the results as soon as I test it out. Any trouble with micro-marring at all when using an orange cutting pad? I've heard great things on how people are able to utilize HD Adapt as a 1-step.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good man! Keep itup!

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work obihave and congratulations on the first! I agree with pdq on the color. That's a stunning color to work and brighten up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast