autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

1966 "Playboy Pink" Mustang Convertible

Today's Detail was on a 1966 Mustang in Dusty Rose aka "Playboy Pink". All of the supporting documents on this car have been lost over the years, but it is claimed by the previous owner to be one of 14 Mustangs purchased by Hugh Hefner in '66 in this color. This particular car is said to have been for his daughter.
    The car was a "barn find" in 1989 and was painted blue at the time. The car had a frame up restoration in 1990, repainted in Dusty Rose ( the official paint name, as Ford did not want to associate with Playboy at the time ). The original engine was gone so a Cobra 302 from Ford Racing was installed. Rear disc brakes replaced the drums as well. There are a few resto-mod type items on the car as well, the 5.0 badges, different steering wheel, ect... but the car is pretty much as it was from the factory. All of the work was done by the Mustang Ranch in Eatonville WA. From what I can tell from a bit of research, there were 86 pink mustangs built in 1966. This car is up for sale, PM me for info.

Paint was in excellent condition. The car had been stored in a storage container since 2005. The heat was turned off a couple years ago so there was heavy mold on the carpets, seats and on the inside of the top.

Seats and interior vinyl was cleaned with Megs Leather Cleaner. LOVE this stuff!
    Carpet was cleaned up with Megs D102 Foaming Carpet Cleaner and APC with a Durrmaid 1700 extractor.
    Paint was clayed and polished up with HD Speed on my G21 on Griots Orange Correcting Pads.
    Metal was polished with Mothers Metal and Chrome on a 3" Griots Metal Polishing Pad with my GG3.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1966 "Playboy Pink" Mustang Convertible

Very nice work on a car with a great story! (Love the under dash air conditioner on those 60's cars)

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work.....any idea what else they did to the drivetrain? I can not imagine the stock tranny and rear would take what that 302 can dish out

Post Thanks / Like

Nice story. Great car, but uuugggly! However, nice pink detail work in the engine compartment. Looks like the aluminum engine components have oxidized some which is typical of bare aluminum. What kind of dressing did you use on the hoses, battery, and radiator?
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Nice work.....any idea what else they did to the drivetrain? I can not imagine the stock tranny and rear would take what that 302 can dish out
    As far as I know it's all stock. The 302 in this car is the "base" if you will...350 hp. But they may have beefed things up too...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    What kind of dressing did you use on the hoses, battery, and radiator?
    I use Megs Hyperdressing at 2:1 for engines...